Food Inflation Getting Personal

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Since I’ve known what a Fatty is Braum’s has sold their 1# chubs of Breakfast Sausage for $2.50@
Today I go in to pick up a couple Future Nekkid Fatty’s And price has inflated to $3.39@

Inflated Fatty
Dammit

36-37% increase on Breakfast Sausage. Thick Braum’s bacon looked like 12oz perhaps 1# $9.99.

Evening news would just insist that we are "mis-remembering" things- "food has always been that price" Or call it the "new normal" (really hate that phrase)

Is it enough more to keep you from buying it? Maybe not now- but strap in.

I've got bacon, sausage, ribs, butts, chicken, brisket in the freezer. Sooner or later I will have to consider "replacement costs" when I'm considering what to cook for the weekend.

Just about any beef is outrageous in these parts. I wanted beef tongue tacos last week but the tongues were $35+ each. I'll pass.
Kroger has a sale on butts right now. $1.49lb. I got a 12 pound butt today for $18 and may grab another tomorrow. Stocking the freezer for a pricey winter. If you heat with natural gas, my condolences.

$11.49/lb for beef tongue. I thought it was ridiculous when it hit $7.99/lb a few years back.

On a bright side chicken is still dirt cheap (except wings) and the average person just passes by the rib tips for $1.69/lb. :heh: Still plenty of stuff to grill or smoke up like flat iron, ribeye, tri tip, porterhouse....... Those are still very reasonably priced around me even in these crazy inflated times. Let's Go Brandon!

I have a brisket and beef cheeks in holding pen. Always have sausage of some sort. Today was brisket stir fry. Quinoa Brisket veggies. I’m not going to quit cooking, not going to quit gifting- all good just weirdly awkward watching prices skyrocketing across the spectrum.

Fatty’s up 37%. Just wrong

I was looking at a chart yesterday of restaurant costs. Frying oil 3-4X higher, plastic ware, styrofoam cups bulk meats- read of one local bbq/soul food restaurant that’s featuring plates on what’s on sale locally in stores.

I don’t bounce into stores as frequently as I used to but I usually see a big chunk of meat (not sirloin) that perhaps I need to pay more attention to. Bargain bin. It’s very lean. Score it, Smoke it then confit in peanut or cottonseed oil overnight in oven covered at 180. Probably make some decent tacos or chili.

If not the smoked oil should be nice to have

I stopped in our local BBQ restaurant last night. I noticed prices were up $3 to $5 depending on the item from where they were not too long ago. I had no problem paying the extra cost and helping out a small business in tough times.

I'm not overly excited to pay those prices when I'm grilling/cooking at home though...

With energy costs soaring just heating-cooling and keeping the lights on will be brutal for brick and mortar barbecue restaurants.

I’m betting the deer harvest will be a bit higher this season, I usually take one if opportunity presents itself, considering taking two this year to get extra ground venison in the freezer….

Backstrap butterfly
Tenderloins whole
Hamburger the rest 80/20 beef fat

My standard process request back when I hunted

Back