MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
cbuck1
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Holding Temperature?

I swear I read in one of these threads about a holding temperature for smoked meats that are ready but you want to leave them warm in the smoker without cooking them any more. But for the life of me I can't find it again. Can anyone enlighten me?

If the meat is ready, but the crowd is not, what temperature can I lower my smoker to in order to hold the meat warm without drying it out? I'm not a big fan of foiling, but should I make an exception in this case?

Thanks,

CB

Author, Pitmaster, Homme Fatal
cbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I might be wrong, but I believe the meat's ok as long as it stays over 140. It might be 160, but I think it's 140. You can hold big cuts in an insulated cooler for several hours before the temp drops that low, but I've never held meat in any of my small)smokers for long. Wrapping in foil will hold heat in best, but I guess you could use whatever.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Smokesman
Full Fledged Farker

Take 'em off the smoker. Large cuts wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and/or foil and covered with towels will hold even in a crappy cooler literally for hours and still be too hot to handle w/o gloves. The minimum temp to keep food in safe zone was recently lowered to 135 degrees F. The danger zone is from 40 degrees to 135 degrees. Always a good idea to verify food temp still in safe zone before serving.
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #54767
Weber Smokey Mountain 22 & Superior Smoker SS1

[B][COLOR="Red"]"To BBQ is human, for swine is divine!"[/COLOR][/B]
Smokesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

yeah i foil all my big cuts and let them rest in a cooler for atleast an hr before sliceing or pulling
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote