MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling Lesson Polls

Notices

Food Handling Lesson Polls Poll based lessons. See what misconceptions our general population has regarding food safety and preparation.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default More Insurance Questions

For Those of you that vend and cater. Two part question...

First:
We are an LLC. Those of you that are LLC do you put your trailers, smokers, vehicles in the LLC name?

Second:

We've been in business for 6 years. Our insurance has changed multiple times since then. I'm not 100% sure that my insurance man knows how to insure caterer/vendors. (It seems every 4 months I am doing a policy review)

Questions:

Do you have your Trailer insured as commercial?
What about the truck you pull it with?
Are your smokers insured?
Does anyone carry Workman'a comp. insurance?
Do you have your vending and catering policies separated?
Any Insurance questions I missed.

Thank you all for any answers you can give!
I appreciate that I have such a good resource at my disposal!
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

First, it doesn't cost anything to have another agent review your operation and provide a coverage package and price quote. I kept my tow veh separate because it was used as a business vehicle for another operation 90% of the time and was well covered as such. Combining the vending and catering coverage was the only way to have seamless coverage at the best price. The Inland Marine part of the package covered the trailer, equipment (on & off the trailer), food inventory and cash for about everything they needed coverage for and at replacement cost. The liability part covered claims made including for products and completed operations. If everyone helping was either part of the LLC or close family the Work Comp wouldn't be needed or could be added as an expensive option. Your kitchen and equipment would be added as well. Reviewing the plan frequently isn't a bad idea if things keep changing to avoid any gaps. It's part of doing business. Good luck!
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #3
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorolddan View Post
First, it doesn't cost anything to have another agent review your operation and provide a coverage package and price quote. I kept my tow veh separate because it was used as a business vehicle for another operation 90% of the time and was well covered as such. Combining the vending and catering coverage was the only way to have seamless coverage at the best price. The Inland Marine part of the package covered the trailer, equipment (on & off the trailer), food inventory and cash for about everything they needed coverage for and at replacement cost. The liability part covered claims made including for products and completed operations. If everyone helping was either part of the LLC or close family the Work Comp wouldn't be needed or could be added as an expensive option. Your kitchen and equipment would be added as well. Reviewing the plan frequently isn't a bad idea if things keep changing to avoid any gaps. It's part of doing business. Good luck!

I'm a little confused about the Inland Marine insurance.
Is that an insurance company or a type of Insurance that a company provides for you?

Thank you for helping me!
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

Inland Marine is just a part of an insurance package like sec 1- liability, sec 2- stationary equipment. sec 3- moveable equipment (inland marine) sec 4- commercial vehicles. Some companies even add work comp, business interruption and a few other endorsements to a package. Your agent should be explaining this to you since things vary by state. I was an agent for 34 years in NE & Iowa.
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote