MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling Lesson Polls

Notices

Food Handling Lesson Polls Poll based lessons. See what misconceptions our general population has regarding food safety and preparation.

View Poll Results: What is the correct temperature for holding food in a steamtable or chaffing dish?
120* 0 0%
140* 12 75.00%
165* 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-26-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
bbqjoe
Banned

Default What is the proper temperature for holding food?

Question: When holding food in a steam table or chaffing dish, what is the correct holding temp.?
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Forkin Pork
Got rid of the matchlight.

I can't believe that this was posted back in 5-26-06 and no can post a reply.
I sure the person is not still waiting for an answer, but just in case someone is wondering, you should hold food at 140 degress and can do so up to 4 hours.
After that you have to throw the food out.
Forkin Pork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

The answers are in the poll.

This forum(food Handeling Lesson Polls). was used in a 'classroom' type effort using Polls. it was run by one of our members who was a restaurant owner and safeserv certified.

A question was posted, and a poll attached for the answers. Then a subsequent 'discussion' thread was associated with it and the details are discussed. I think this one was pretty much established at 140 based on the poll responses.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
ASUBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Yes as bbqchef33 stated, re-heat to 165 then hold at 140 or above.
ASUBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
keale
Babbling Farker

You don't have to "toss" after 4 hrs, The 4 hr. rule is if its on "display", countertop...etc...no heating...and it should always have a time stamp...

This rule is in Hawaii...

Just went to a sanitation class...
The biggest cause of food born illness is "IMPROPER COOLING"...the recomended time frame is:

140*-70* 2hrs
70*-45* 2 hrs...I believe 40* is the USDA guideline...
Weber Performer (169.00/brand new mod.)
Weber Handles from www.amlwoodart.com
UDS
22.5" Weber kettle, (refuse collector mod.)
18" Weber kettle (almost new craigslist $20 mod)

"crest of a breaking wave" thats my name...
keale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
smokey fin
Got rid of the matchlight.

Warm temp 140 or above, Cold temp 40 or below.
smokey fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
This Is How We Que It
On the road to being a farker

Eat it before it goes bad.
This Is How We Que It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 AM   #8
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

New FDA rules do away with the danger zone being 40-140 degrees. It is now 41-135 degrees. Previously cooked food needs to be heated to 165 degrees. Just took the ServSafe course so this is the newest information. Instructor said that FDA only issues guidelines and that the local HD may have different temp. rules. Always check with local HD for the rules you have to live by.
PorkQPine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkQPine View Post
New FDA rules do away with the danger zone being 40-140 degrees. It is now 41-135 degrees. Previously cooked food needs to be heated to 165 degrees. Just took the ServSafe course so this is the newest information. Instructor said that FDA only issues guidelines and that the local HD may have different temp. rules. Always check with local HD for the rules you have to live by.
Right on but when talking about steam tables or chaffers the "MINIMUM" is 140 for most HD's and that means not only sticking a thermapen into the tray but also using an infrared hand held to measure surface temp. If you have steam pans and don't keep them covered except when dishing up the surface temp will quickly drop. I'd plan for an internal closer to 150-160 to be safe. And you need to stir on a regular basis if you want to keep it moist and fresh and balanced temp.

While I haven't taken the course yet, Carol did and I have read all the materials. I've also developed a positive relationship with a number of the local HD inspectors and when they informally visit at a vending event (happens if others need to be inspected) I'm always asking questions to better udnerstand what they expect.

Bottom line is take the ServSafe course if you can.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I have had serv safe for 10 years, and it goes over welll with the HD's when I send in my apps and they see that, there is a much easier process of inspection in the field. Great cheap way to have a quick easy inspection!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Right on but when talking about steam tables or chaffers the "MINIMUM" is 140 for most HD's and that means not only sticking a thermapen into the tray but also using an infrared hand held to measure surface temp. If you have steam pans and don't keep them covered except when dishing up the surface temp will quickly drop. I'd plan for an internal closer to 150-160 to be safe. And you need to stir on a regular basis if you want to keep it moist and fresh and balanced temp.

While I haven't taken the course yet, Carol did and I have read all the materials. I've also developed a positive relationship with a number of the local HD inspectors and when they informally visit at a vending event (happens if others need to be inspected) I'm always asking questions to better udnerstand what they expect.

Bottom line is take the ServSafe course if you can.
What Ford said, even though he is not posting