MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:44 PM   #76
Prneum
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Scott

I participated in the group buy last year and decided on the 1 Star. My decision was based on the 1 Star having a smaller footprint. Also, I live in a dry climate with the 1 Star under a patio, so no worries about paint. The accessories that I have enjoyed are the 3/4 and full top shelf grates, the front shelf and the blank pan that fully covers the flamezone. The reason I like the blank pan, it is easier to clean and I seem to keep more consistent temps then when I use the standard flamezone covers. The only thing I can think of that I would miss with the 2 Star, would be the extra shelves.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:02 PM   #77
Mishka212
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Thanks, little concerned about the paint here with the bad winter weather but I figure with the cover it’ll be ok. Hadn’t looked at the blank pan - ease of cleaning is a big plus. I like the smaller footprint - the backyards here in Brooklyn are small.
Mishka212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2021, 09:09 PM   #78
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishka212 View Post
Thanks, little concerned about the paint here with the bad winter weather but I figure with the cover it’ll be ok. Hadn’t looked at the blank pan - ease of cleaning is a big plus. I like the smaller footprint - the backyards here in Brooklyn are small.

Maybe it’ll put your mind at ease to know that the 1 Star has a very high quality high temp powder coating... and underneath that is aluminized steel. Even if you get a chip or two in the powder coat, you won’t be dealing with rust because of the aluminized steel. There were no shortcuts taken with the 1 Star :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-26-2021, 09:14 PM   #79
Mishka212
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Thanks Robb, this is place is great - really appreciate all the advice. Looking forward to March 1, thanks for setting it up...
Mishka212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2021, 09:19 PM   #80
rwalters

Quote:
Thanks Robb, this is place is great - really appreciate all the advice. Looking forward to March 1, thanks for setting it up...

As they say at Chick-fil-A... it’s my pleasure :)

Old 02-26-2021, 11:16 PM   #81
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
The standard cold smoke box on the 2 Star, or the larger add-on?
The standard one. The larger add-on had some great pictures.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2021, 11:29 PM   #82
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
The standard one. The larger add-on had some great pictures.

Here is a recent review of the 2 Star from a guy that has spent quite a bit of time cooking on his MAK. As you read through it, he touches on the cold smoke box. If you have more specific questions just LMK and I’ll be happy to answer if I can.

https://slickbbq.com/mak-2-star-gene...-grill-review/

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:28 AM   #83
PullinPork
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chuck

Quote:
Here is a recent review of the 2 Star from a guy that has spent quite a bit of time cooking on his MAK. As you read through it, he touches on the cold smoke box. If you have more specific questions just LMK and I’ll be happy to answer if I can.

I’ll second the comment in the review about locking the casters.
We had a windstorm blow up during a cook a few weeks ago. I came out to check on the MAK, and found it about 3 feet further from the house, and turned almost 90 degrees. The only reason it didn’t go further was that the casters ran up against the (thick) extension cord.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:40 AM   #84
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:

This should be in the first post! That link has a ton of useful information.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2021, 12:45 AM   #85
The Wookiee
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : %#$*

Quote:
1 star pacific NW wet and varied weather just fine with covers. I live in mountain foothills with wet wind sun snow and sun. No issues.

Love the 1 star. Yes to 1) blank pan 2) MAK sear grates 3) side and bottom shelf and 4) 3/4 shelf (also have the full but rarely use it)... and cover.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:55 AM   #86
The Wookiee
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : %#$*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
So I am anxiously awaiting Monday. Can anyone who had a CampChef Woodwind and a MAK 1 compare the smoke profiles? Can you get close to the MAK by using the right type of pellets and a fairly high smoke setting on the CampChef? Thanks!
I didn’t have the woodwind but did have the camp chef pg24= same basic guts and innards. loved it until it for years, was my 1st pellet. Used lots of added smoke= tubes, mojo bricks, etc.

MAK way more better. My tubes are buried somewhere unused for ages since getting MAK... threw mojo cubes into Hunsaker for flavor until gone... at 245 and under MAK does a very pleasant smoke I feel no need to augment... I do sausages ~ 285 and also nice but lighter, over 325 (poultry) just a kiss...

Camp chefs solid product great folks great customer service, but it ain’t a MAK

Old 02-27-2021, 12:57 AM   #87
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Great review.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:33 AM   #88
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Yeah, I have a gasser and a primo ceramic, and a pizza oven just arrived, so I think the 1* will be enough...
Don't have a pizza oven, but do have a primo oval, which I use for pizza, and gasser that I haven't used since I got the 2*. The smoker box sold me on it.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2021, 04:37 AM   #89
arthrovine
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : j

Aaaggh

I’m facing a local move likely within next 12 mos either building or buying a resale. I have no idea what my future grilling sitrep will be. Likely some built in outdoor kitchen but will need a dedicated smoking area /Santa Maria etc. I currently have a GMG DB WiFi that does a decent job. I do not think I have space currently for the MAK 2* on my townhouse second story deck. The 2* stainless would replace the DB.

Does anyone have precise measurements of this beast? If I could sell the DB and wedge it within my townhouse second story deck, that would be Great and I’d order one next week. I’d rather not wait til the new digs- my Mak-less Q deficit is getting too big.

Has anyone ever moved a 2*? Are there any special precautions or preparations needed to prevent damage in move?

Thanks in advance.
Beefer

lovingly temporarily donated:
2004 Weber Genesis Silver B

Last edited by arthrovine; 02-27-2021 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: Errors
arthrovine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2021, 05:46 AM   #90
rwalters

Default 2nd annual MAK Brethren Group Buy deal is almost here [emoji4]

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthrovine View Post
Aaaggh

I’m facing a local move likely within next 12 mos either building or buying a resale. I have no idea what my future grilling sitrep will be. Likely some built in outdoor kitchen but will need a dedicated smoking area /Santa Maria etc. I currently have a GMG DB WiFi that does a decent job. I do not think I have space currently for the MAK 2* on my townhouse second story deck. The 2* stainless would replace the DB.

Does anyone have precise measurements of this beast? If I could sell the DB and wedge it within my townhouse second story deck, that would be Great and I’d order one next week. I’d rather not wait til the new digs- my Mak-less Q deficit is getting too big.

Has anyone ever moved a 2*? Are there any special precautions or preparations needed to prevent damage in move?

Thanks in advance.

2 Star dimensions: 49” H x 60” W x 25” D

I have moved MAK’s numerous times. If you remove the innards and tie down and secure the cooker itself, no issues at all.

Does that give you what ya need?