TriTip method you prefer?

I do a pretty basic reverse sear when cooking Tri-tip.

Do you have leftover tri-tip when you serve it as the main entree?

Hearing "I'd rather have ribeye" doesn't mean the tri-tip is bad, just they really like ribeye. I prefer prime rib over steak and steak over brisket but I still really like brisket.

I usually reverse sear tri-tips to 120 and sear them off for a couple minutes at the end; I really treat them like a very thick, very lean steak. Rubbed with 1:2 salt and coarse black pepper; sliced against the grain with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil when serving. At least EVOO is super cheap here, as opposed to tri-tips. Heh.

I season with salt/pepper/garlic
Setup a wood fire to one side of the kettle.
Sear the roast over direct heat then finish indirect to medium rare.
Lid off entire cook.

Will be doing one tomorrow for Sunday dinner.

I'm planning to coat lightly with sesame oil and rub with Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria.

Will smoke first and then reverse sear with a target finished temp just shy of medium.

Picked up some ciabatta rolls today. I think I'll slice half extra thin for sandwiches since the wife has some horseradish provolone I need to eat up.

I reverse sear to about 110 then pull and grill till about 120. I use the rub out of Project Smoke. It's quickly become a family favorite.

I rub it down with some Worcestershire sauce, then some fresh ground salt, some fresh ground black pepper, some steak seasoning and finally some fresh minced Rosemary.

I reverse sear it by placing the Tri Tip off to the side and let it slowly come up to an I.T. of 113 degrees.

I then take it off and loosely tented it with foil. I then opened up the vents and let the grill go nuclear!

I then place the Tri Tip on the CI grate for 3 minutes per side.

I then brought this in and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

I then sliced the Tri Tip in half along the seam where the grain chances direction.

I then thinly sliced each half across the grain.

OH YUM!

That is pretty much what mine looks like.Guess I will break out the slicer and slice thin for sandwiches and see how that goes.Edit,I do not,have never and never will allow Rosemary to touch anything I cook.Cilantro either.Thanks for the tip though.

It may be heresy, but I like to sous vide my tri-tip and finish with a quick sear.
I add some Oakridge Santa Maria to the bag, and a good sprinkle before sear.
No complaints yet.

Trisket = cook it like a brisket... smoke till wrap (by temp or color) then till probe tender. Shorter rest... much quicker. My wife and kids don’t like regular style tritip either but ask for trisket

The first time I ever cooked a tri-tip, I cooked it like a brisket because I didn't know any better. It came out awesome.

It was years later when I joined the brethren that discovered most people cook them medium rare or medium (the way I like my steaks). They are very good that way also but I prefer a steak myself.

But I would not turn it down if offered to me so you can send me what the family doesn't eat.

I like tri-tip reverse seared, thin sliced, and either put on salads or in tortilla wraps with cilantro, lime, guacamole, salsa, etc. Oh, and sometimes as miniature steaks with pesto.

Good Lord these pics are making me hungry! I like to think I hold my own with tri tip, I just can't find them in this part of Texas. I had better luck in El Paso.

Thanks for all the advice fellas.I will Tri some of your Tips! :-D Sorry.I just had to do it.

Try cooking it like brisket, if they like brisket that is! You’ll find a few threads about this on the forum if you do a search.

Try cooking it like brisket, if they like brisket that is! You’ll find a few threads about this on the forum if you do a search.

Thank you.I did and they did.I made a pot of thickened au jus,kinda like a gravy to dunk it in.It was a WINNER!Thanks for the guidance all.

With all the tri tip love that's around, I'm a little scared to say it, but I'm kinda like the fam. I think: steak > tri trip and brisket > tri tip and that most anything > roasted meat. Like they say on Shark Tank, "for those reasons, I'm out (on tri tip)."

With all the tri tip love that's around, I'm a little scared to say it, but I'm kinda like the fam. I think: steak > tri trip and brisket > tri tip and that most anything > roasted meat. Like they say on Shark Tank, "for those reasons, I'm out (on tri tip)."

In our house...picanha > steak (ny strip) > tri tip...at least since the Yoder generated visits to the local meat counter that has expanded our horizons.

Personally I sear first and then finish indirect.
And I may get heckled a bit but...TT is one cut of beef that will actually be better if it's cooked to med-well...But not all agree...

THis is why tritip is such a good cut. Look its lean as leather so thats probably what they dont like about it but it isnt tough. I season it heavy, turn up the gasser as hot as it will go, let the grates get smoking hot and sear both sides, then finish indirect until the fat part is med rare.

The tips will be well, the next 3 inches are a perfect med, and for those that like it bloody you got the middle. Also going to med rare lets you reheat the next day without over cooking.

Maybe try an injection to put some additional flavor in there.

Last edited:
What kinda gear ya got?

There really IS something about cooking them on a Santa Maria pit IF you have patience and a good fire. I have a 20”x30”, but it really isn’t as big as I’d like. You need a really hot hard wood fire and enough distance between the coals and the TT, then adjust the height when needed.

Other than that, reverse sear. SPG with your own twist. A bit of Cayenne for a bit of lip smakin’ goodness. Mop with a Garlic infused EVO. Lots of twists. Serve with good garlic bread. Do a search on Santa Maria BBQ for traditional sides and suggestions.

When visiting the BIL, I usually cook a TT on his gasser with Montreal Steak Seasoning, and it still turns out great.

Just don’t over cook it.

One of my favorites.

Yup...
Nothing better than Santa Maria style TT cooked over burned down coals from the local red oak or Coast Live Oak (Quercus argifolia)...

Some gorgeous examples here. Love my tri tip too. Never done one like a brisket because after doing just one reverse sear and pulling at 120F, there was no going back.

Seasonings: Montreal Steak Seasoning, Carne Asada, Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub (is outstanding). Or just SPG and EVOO. Slice thin and drape over a salad or wrap in a tortilla.

It's just not a steak though. If the family wants a steak, give them steak. Tri tip is Tri tip.

Make that clear to them and this will work itself out.

Cheers

Bill

Thank you....tri tip advice

I made A “TRISKET”, It was well received by the tribe.Actually I think I like it better that way.Served on toasted cheap white buns smeared with a little horseradish,smoked “ trisket” and smothered with thickened au jus gravy.Very tender and flavorful.Thank y’all for the suggestion.

Back