Keep fixing the gasser?

nathanielh

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Costco Tuscany grill that has served me well since 2009.

https://marinascats.com/misc/Tuscany-Series-Barbeque-by-Altima-at-Costco-Model--CS812LP

Over the years I have replaced the burners, flavor grates and igniters and converted it to natural gas. The tub is deteriorating and I am not sure how to fix it or if it's finally nearing its end. The metal piece that holds the grates has eroded and I installed some small "L" brackets to hold them which has worked, but now the tub is developing holes in the bottom and sides.

https://imgur.com/a/5deDzbl

epoxy probably wouldn't work well due to the constant expansion and contraction from cooking. I'm not a metal fabricator so building a new tub isn't something I can do. Any creative ideas?

JB Weld High Temp would work but a new Weber would work better and last longer. Buy once, Cry once. Just my .02 and good luck however you go.

Sounds like you have a great excuse to start shopping for a new one... I’ve worn a few through to burn box erosion and that’s when I move on... happy to replace tubes grates bolts screw etc... but the undercarriage failure is when I move on... I went all stainless due to that very issues... burned through a decent Weber and a nice napoleon. Upgraded to all stainless after that...

I say go shopping

JB Weld High Temp would work but a new Weber would work better and last longer. Buy once, Cry once. Just my .02 and good luck however you go.

Agree with both pieces. JB Weld could patch it probably and might buy you a little more time but the way it’s rusting through more holes are going to follow and even with the patch you may find that there isn’t a lot for it to connect to.

You got a pretty good run out of it. Whether you go with Weber or something else it’s probably time to move on.

FWIW, I love Costco and half my house has come from there. Grills are one of the few things I don’t trust. There have been a number of examples over the last 20 years of good looking grills that haven’t lasted well at all and for which parts were hard to come by. They were sold under unknown brands but were presumably manufactured by some respected companies when you researched them. They were built as Costco exclusives and to hit a price point and I can only assume that corners were cut to do that.

On what to buy next, I’m not a big fan of the new Webers. I haven’t decided for sure but will probably go with Napoleon when my Genesis dies.

i dunno. Do you love how it cooks? If there is a cheap fix that will limp you by another couple years it would be worth it.

But... if you are not in love with it, I'd start shopping.

I'd also say if you aren't in love it with let it go and buy new (if you can afford) Otherwise try to patch up. Perhaps you could get some sheet metal to form a liner of some sorts

Thanks for all the replies. I already have a pellet grill I use for smoking but the gasser is less to deal with when I need to grill some carne asada or something that is a quick cook. The consensus is to start looking for something to replace my current grill. Costco has a Weber 345 but it's propane only and some KitchenAid (must be some cheap grill with their name slapped on). They do have a Saber that's all stainless but I haven't heard of that brand.

Will check out Broil King.

thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for all the replies. I already have a pellet grill I use for smoking but the gasser is less to deal with when I need to grill some carne asada or something that is a quick cook. The consensus is to start looking for something to replace my current grill. Costco has a Weber 345 but it's propane only and some KitchenAid (must be some cheap grill with their name slapped on). They do have a Saber that's all stainless but I haven't heard of that brand.

Will check out Broil King.

thanks for the feedback!

Tell us your budget, and then you will get some more specific recommendations. Anything in specific you know you want? Ie side burner, rotisserie etc. How large of a grill are you looking for? In general, you can’t go wrong with a Weber, Broilking or Napoleon in a mid range grill. Your local Ace Hardware probably has a better selection than Costco.

I already have a pellet grill I use for smoking but the gasser is less to deal with when I need to grill some carne asada or something that is a quick cook.

You may want to try a flat top grill like a Blackstone. Nothing faster or easier to cook on, and clean up takes 1 or 2 minutes max. Perfect for cooking fajitas, not to mention breakfast. Great for searing a steak. They are great fun and I use mine significantly more than my kettle or my Genesis now. If I was set on a new gas grill, I would get one that comes with an additional flat top grill or one that is the perfect size to add an aftermarket griddle.

You may want to try a flat top grill like a Blackstone. Nothing faster or easier to cook on, and clean up takes 1 or 2 minutes max. Perfect for cooking fajitas, not to mention breakfast. Great for searing a steak. They are great fun and I use mine significantly more than my kettle or my Genesis now. If I was set on a new gas grill, I would get one that comes with an additional flat top grill or one that is the perfect size to add an aftermarket griddle.

Grilla Primate is both a griddle and grill. Looks nice.

Back