THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LYU370

Resident Idjit
Staff member

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Andy
My great nephew recently earned is Eagle Scout and I asked my nephew if he got a BBQ merit badge. No such thing?!?!?! Anyone have contacts with any big wigs in the scouts? Need to get them in contact with Operation BBQ Relief for a new merit badge. An OBR deployment will give the scouts a new outlook on life, for the better.

OBR would probably be a great Eagle Scout project, Andy.

Thirdeye, those Hobo Dinners were a treat on a campout for sure. Brings back good memories of scouting. That's definitely where the meat and fire dreams started for me.

My great nephew recently earned is Eagle Scout and I asked my nephew if he got a BBQ merit badge. No such thing?!?!?! Anyone have contacts with any big wigs in the scouts? Need to get them in contact with Operation BBQ Relief for a new merit badge. An OBR deployment will give the scouts a new outlook on life, for the better.

I work with the State Council and County Council through the VFW to help them perform and oversee proper flag retirement ceremonies.

While there is no specific merit badge for grilling, the cooking merit badge does cover such knowledge of grilling, cooking over an open fire, and over charcoal. They can choose one of these methods to prepare a meal.

[3]Cooking basics.

1. Discuss EACH of the following cooking methods. For each one, describe the equipment needed, how temperature control is maintained, and name at least one food that can be cooked using that method: baking, boiling, broiling, pan frying, simmering, steaming, microwaving, grilling, foil cooking, and use of a Dutch oven.
  2. Discuss the benefits of using a camp stove on an outing vs. a charcoal or wood fire.
  3. Describe for your counselor how to manage your time when preparing a meal so components for each course are ready to serve at the correct time.
[5] Camp cooking. (hobo meals)

[6] Trail and backpacking meals.

It would be up to the individual Scout leadership to get them involved in volunteerism to a BBQ Relief function. The safety of the Scouts would be the number one priority, so long distance travel without "safe housing and safe leadership" would be out of the question.

Last edited:
Back