Going to pull the trigger on a pellet pooper

RecTec's look good and receive a lot of praise from the owners. A buddy o mine has a Camp chef woodwind and he likes it. I think it has the option to adjust smoke at higher temps. not sure how well that works and I know the temp fluctuates more to get more smoke at higher temps. I've eat a lot o meat off of it and it's all been mighty fine. I have a Pittboss Laredo 1000. I was looking at the Pro series at first but the design of the Laredo caught my eye. The only problem with the Pittboss is the wifi app. It's terrible... Don't know anything about the Webers but the kettles and WSM hold up very well so there's that.

If the app sucks on pit boss, then I think I’ll take it off the list. Really leaning toward recteq. But camp chef and Weber are still very much in the game.

Not to be overlooked at this price range is the Green Mountain Jim Bowie. Some of its features are gimmicks, but the adjustable heat shield is not. It lets you precisely dial in the temp left to right so as to avoid the unevenness some pellet grill are notorious for.

I also recommend looking at the GMG Prime Jim Bowie. I’ve had mine over a year now and it has been great.

If the app sucks on pit boss, then I think I’ll take it off the list. Really leaning toward recteq. But camp chef and Weber are still very much in the game.

I don't think any of the units in the price point you're looking at have very good apps. The PB app works but it's very basic. it's just like looking at the screen on the unit and you can start it, adjust temps, see if auger is running, fan running, burner, see probe temps, etc. It is slightly behind and you have to wait for it to refresh. If you get out of the app you have to select the grill and wait a few seconds for it to load. I'm sure they will all come around sooner or later. They obviously wanted to meet the need for wireless control and that's what you got but it needs work. I definitely wouldn't count the PB out just because of the app.

Pick & chose what?

DanB

It goes off when the temp probes get within 5 degrees of done. If the temp drops back to 6 or 7 degrees, then when it hits 5 again it goes off. If you got 2 probes and the temp fluctuates back and forth, that'll drive you crazy. I just want one when it's done. I believe it does the same when warming up, I just want it when it's hot. I don't turn notifications on unless something is going overnight.
I could just be nitpicking too. My phone makes too many noises and I get annoyed.

Last edited:
I have the original Rec Tec and the little 2nd Gen SmokeFire. The RT doesn't have any wireless features. I've always used it as a dedicated smoker. I've been extremely happy with it for almost 8 years. The build quality is excellent and RT customer service is as good as you've heard. The SF I've had since early December. I haven't had nearly as many cooks on it as I imagined I would by this point, but I've been very pleased with it. The build quality is great, and the customer service is Weber. It produces good smoke at higher temps than I've ever experienced from my RT (the 590/700 may be better than my old gal, but I've upgraded her to the current ignitor & firepot). I don't care for the narrow little pellet hopper on the back of the SF, but that's about it so far. I've baked a lot of bread, smoked a few things, and grilled a little on it. I don't tend to use the app much, but the grill is usually within 50 yards of me.

Last edited:
It goes off when the temp probes get within 5 degrees of done. If the temp drops back to 6 or 7 degrees, then when it hits 5 again it goes off. If you got 2 probes and the temp fluctuates back and forth, that'll drive you crazy. I just want one when it's done. I believe it does the same when warming up, I just want it when it's hot. I don't turn notifications on unless something is going overnight.
I could just be nitpicking too. My phone makes too many noises and I get annoyed.

Hi I haven't seen that with 590. I have to look more closely next time.
Thanks Dan

Smokin' Brothers is releasing their first WIFI controlled grill. I don't know cost, but I do know they build a nice grill here in the USA. I'm assuming the controller will still be made by Savannah Stoker, but don't really know for sure.

So I think what I’m going to do is wait for the stores to get their summer stock in. Going to go look at the smoke fire and the pit boss 1600 and see what I think of them. I need to see if any places near me stock camp chef. I know recteq is direct buy only, but I’m not ruling them out either. Thanks for your help everyone!

Back