Yellow Tags- was good while it lasted

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Won’t be visiting my WalMart meat section nearly as much. Noticed over last couple visits the yellow tagged meats are no longer worth it. Time was Yellow Tagged meat nearing sell by date would be discounted 20-40%. Easy pickings and decision making. Now it seems yellow tags are 2-5%. Saw one of those giant Tomahawk Steaks at Sam’s discounted 0.40. Forty Cents. OK Sam’s are red. Maybe I just hit them at the wrong time.

2 Sam’s
4-5 Walmart Supercenters
3-4 Neighborhood Walmart grocery stores
4-5 United Grocery Stores
1 Fiesta Foods
2 butcher shops??

No Costco No HEB No Trader Joe’s No Whole Foods.

Anyone else notice this??

I know what you mean. Same at Kroger. The discounts are just miserable.

Saw a 14 lb prime brisket last night at Costco for $2.99 lb. Funny, because their choice flats in a tray and cellophane were $7.99 while their cryovac flats were $4.99. I guess they don't think much of the point.

No Krogers No Safeway

I have a locally owned big box grocery store that still has pretty good manager special markdowns on use now meat. Never see good ones at Walmart. Occasionally at Sams but never at Costco.

Just last week I purchased 2 of the tomahawks at Sam's marked down from $7.98lb to $5.98lb. I thought that was good enough to pull the trigger on the only 2 they had.

My go to grocery store is Meijer with supplements of Costco Kroger and wal mart.

Meijer is basically a Midwest walmart. They do have traditional bakery, deli and butcher department's but the the meat selection is a bit limited but good. CAB beef, nonenhanced pork and quality chicken. The problem is they have revolving sales. Spare ribs will be $1.99 lbs (these are trimmed some, no breast bone) or st Louis for $2.50. A week later they are almost double in price and then back down again. Same goes for chicken as other pork. I buy and freeze when the price is right. Its worth the effort for the consistency of quality

I really like Meijer. Great produce, pretty good shelf stable selection and their pre-made bacon cheddar burgers are the best for a quick dinner.

When we had a Walmart, Meijers is where I always went to buy meat after rejecting everything at Walmart. I've been consistently amazed that you have found the quality of meat you have there.
I've found a number of unadvertised sales at Meijers. Just about every leg of lamb I've cooked has been around half the normal price at Meijers, with no ad. Last time, I paid $4.99/lb.
In my area, 40% is the usual markdown on close dated meat. One Monday morning, the pile of 40% off beef at Krogers was 3 foot high.

Scored a yellow tag brisket at my local Wally last week for $20.01, marked down from $47!

That was at 05:30.

I usually buy yellow tagged rib tips from Walmart. Only thing worth a damn that I can use right away.

I have two grocery stores within 50 miles, not many markdowns and when there are they don't last long. At least half the local population is on assistance so markdowns go quick.

If you don't get it while it's tagged you can find it in the hamburger and pay around 3.00 a pound they are not going to lose money by throwing it out if you have ever bought freshly ground hamburger that was just ground and take it home and dig in the package and it's Brown inside that is the reason I'm not saying it's bad I'm just saying that's what meat departments do they just grind it up in the ground beef

I was at Albertson's this morning, they lamb chops and beef tenderloin steaks, all marked down 50%. Had porterhouses last night, and brisket ready to go on the smoker so I passed. But I think I need to get over there more often in the morning..

The Winn Dixies around here have BOGO stuff all the time. Sometimes it a deal, other times it marked up before the "sale" so I'm not getting as much for "free" as I think. I'm a sucker for a sale though.

Adams,

I noticed that at the local Walmart lately as well. Packages marked down .40-.60. Not much of a deal. Some folks have suggested shopping for meats at the local Hispanic markets for good deals. Went into one large one a couple of weeks ago but found the meat to be price comparable to Walmart and didn't see any mark downs. But they did have meats piled hih and things I've never seen before. I was in a hurry and didn't spend much time there. May have to go back. We have a lot of these types of markets, mostly really small mom and pop types. Perhaps the deals are better there.

Hopefully the deals will comeback at Walmart.

Happy hunting.
Robert

Back