MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #16
Tatoosh
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Tatoosh

Wow, thanks for the encouragement and advice, guys!

EricD: Yes, a very good idea. I am looking for one (actually two) that will fit the Q200 with griddle in place. The packets I make now last for about 30 minutes each, which is nice. Two or three make for a good smoking session on the ribs.

DBBQ: Liberty Call! Were you in Olongapo/Subic or Clark? I spent 10 years up in Baguio City after I retired from the my job. I missed visiting PI in the service and only got as far as Guam. I love the islands and miss them dearly.

WilliamKY: Wow, that is drastic, not even propane or electric allowed? They are not that drastic on us, but they are "grilling" oriented, not smoking. And zero wood, so I'm kinda stealthy with the pouches. Luckily, the wife loves to baste stuff she cooks, which smokes a lot also and gives me some cover for why we have the thin grey cloud coming out of our "griller".

ShadowDriver: Thank you very much. I'll tip my next one to you.

WetSmoke: I have run across one of his videos and adopted his foil pouch for my use. Before mine were much more "wrinkly" when finished. Heh! Heh!

One of the challenges is that you need some higher heat to get the wood chips going, but then you want to lower the temps the ribs cook at which is hard to control with the Q200. No two zone cooking with it since the burner is one piece so it's either on or off, though there is a volume control.

I've found that using the griddle as a heat shield works, but I have to get the meat up and off the griddle with a cooling rack. Ideally I should look at getting a thin stainless steel plate (smoking plate) cut to fit the grill grates and a wire rack that fits the smoking plate so the meat can sit above the heat.

Next month I will add a probe thermometer to the set up so I can actually see what is going on temp wise. Right now we are cooking ribs in 2 1/2 hours. Basically 1 1/2 hours smoking, 45 minutes wrapped with some juice or water, and then 15 minutes to firm up the bark before pulling them off.

I will look for the Fire Escape Griller and see what he has been doing for any ideas I can adopt. Thanks much!

Tags
Fire Escape Griller, propane, Q200, Smoking Ribs, Weber