MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #16
brendamn
Found some matches.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboio View Post
Wow, that is the kind of mixer that rips your arm off when you're not paying attention. What a beauty.
Indeed, it must be used by someone who is being careful and paying attention, with no small kids next to it. That's why it's placed in its own nook. I'm the sole operator, until Mikhail shows up for a visit. I promised to let him try it. It's a breeze to use, and it's very simple, just three speeds, stopping fully to change gears. Oh, and don't stick your hand, arm, or anything in it while it's running. Yours would be similar in the need for careful use with common sense, and no kids allowed.

Here's what you need for that beautiful slicer: a bigger kitchen with a special work area for the slicer, all your Q equipment, and a wood-fired pizza oven.

Okay, the pizza oven is for when we all come over to your place and the Q isn't ready for a while. We can bide our time with some homemade pizza, and I will bring the dough. My mixer can make a BIG batch.
brendamn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #17
Mikhail
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

So is Brenda. The Brethren are indeed fortunate to have her as a new member!

PK Classic Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Good One Open Range over & under
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #18
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

[/QUOTE]

This is great!!! I gotta show my GF this so i wont be viewed as insane, well less insane, since i've been known to go a little "industrial" with my acquisitions but i've done nothing like this. Although.......

"hey babe i gotta run another 220v outlet in the kitchen for a 6' tall mixer"
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #19
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

Here's mine before restoration.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #20
brendamn
Found some matches.

Zak, my hubby loves the various kinds of bread I can make with this, and I can make enough to share with the neighbors and friends. Buying good used equipment can actually be pretty smart. I have never regretted getting the Hobart mixer, and as long as you use your slicer, it's worth having.

As for the wiring, this one uses just a regular household outlet. It's not as big as Mik said, it's only 44 inches tall, but it weighs over 300 pounds. Fortunately, I already own a 3/4 ton pickup truck, so no delivery fee. I hauled it from the seller to the Hobart dealer for a check-up and new paint. The dealer is next to an auto body shop, so I could have any colors I wanted. No battleship gray!

Overall, with the purchase price, new seal and grease, paint job, and a couple new mixing accessories, I have about $1200 or so into it. Considering the prices on the nicer home mixers, this is a bargain that does multiples of what the others can. New retail on this would be crazy high, but used ... oh yeah.

So do the math, and maybe your big slicer or other used Hobart equipment will not seem crazy at all.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #21
brendamn
Found some matches.

BTW, breads freeze easily, and they reheat wrapped in foil to let us have hot and fresh bread with any dinner. So easy!

Old 06-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #22
brendamn
Found some matches.

Yes, you can all blame Mikhail for me being here. He's a troublemaker, for sure!

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #23
homesmoke
On the road to being a farker

Talking

Cool slicer timboio! Congratulations on the find.

I have an old Hobart model 411 slicer. Been using this one for a couple of decades. Doesn't get used often enough to truly justify owning, but when we do, it is a joy to use, and always amazes friends and family.
Sort of a show pony.

Currently have it torn down to replace a part that I had been searching for 20 years to find. Luckily found the part, so she is getting her first complete teardown for a full refurb.

Sometime during her life, one of her previous owners had tried to weld the broken aluminum lever that adjusts depth of cut, and totally botched the job. I was manually setting the depth of cut, which was not terribly hard to do, so I never bothered to tear it down to extract the lever and properly weld it back.

Was glad to find a NOS part, so now she will return to 100% function. As heavy duty as this thing is, my grandkids will be using it long after I am gone.

Check out the link below these pictures of my 411, regarding your 11-A.

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2697_2.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

Did you know that your model 11-A also came as a 11-AP?

https://my.hobartcorp.com/resourcece...cification.pdf
homesmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #24
homesmoke
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboio View Post
You got that right. It's somewhere well over 100lb. If it weren't so unwieldy to move, I'd stick it on a scale to figure out the actual weight. As it is, I just try not to think about the pain of the next time I need to move it off this table.
180lbs. according to the link from Hobart.
homesmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #25
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Very cool old slicer. And I remember using one of those mixers in the early eighties when I was shift leader at a pizza place. Had to make at least 3 buckets of dough every morning, 5 on weekends. And yes, that hook will easily break an arm. I got lucky and only dislocated a couple fingers before I learned.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #26
effinUker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim, Moon

That is so cool.. in a lot of cases, I'd rather have the old stuff that was built to last forever. Nice find and congrats.
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #27
timboio
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesmoke View Post
Cool slicer timboio! Congratulations on the find.

Did you know that your model 11-A also came as a 11-AP?

https://my.hobartcorp.com/resourcece...cification.pdf
I love it - it's so cool you've got your slicer on the mend after all those years.

And what an amazing find with the 11-AP. I had no idea it came in that configuration too! And only 200+ pounds!
timboio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #28
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very cool slicer! Hobart is a standard in commercial kitchens and bakeries.

I'd love to have that mixer!
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #29
Macky
Take a breath!

Terrific thread! Mac
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #30
brendamn
Found some matches.

Holy cow. What a project that is to replace the part. Like a jigsaw puzzle. You are a patient person to do that, and you will be rewarded with a most excellent slicer when done.

Love the paint jobs you fellas have done for your slicers, too. I say make room for those beauties in your kitchens, and show them off, too. These are some fun and useful gems.

Can you use the meat slicers for other foods? If so, what kinds?

Tags
11-a, 11a, hobart, slicer