MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #1
timboio
Found some matches.

Default Vintage Hobart Meat Slicer (Model 11-A, 1936, first electric slicer)

I've recently found myself in possession of an extremely old Hobart meat slicer - which spent the last 40 years in the basement of a farm-house, after being purchased from a country store that went out of business in the 70's.

This particular dinosaur is a Hobart model 11-A, manufactured in 1936, in pretty astonishingly good shape, and the very first electric meat slicer Hobart ever made.

Interestingly enough, Hobart decided not to print a model number on the ID plate for this thing. I guess this little oversight was due to the fact that there were no other electric slicers at the time they made it, so, why print a model, right? They clearly weren't considering the impact of that little oversight would have while trying to ID the device 80 years later. It took weeks of digging around to figure out what this was - when I eventually found a patent filing with a diagram that clued me in. With the model, I found a parts diagram, and the case was closed.

If you're into old equipment (which still does an amazing job of slicing brisket, deli-meats, and salamis), hopefully you'll enjoy these pictures. I was unable to find any pictures of this piece of history, so as far as I know, these are the first pictures posted online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2767.jpg (60.6 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2768.jpg (29.0 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2769.jpg (44.3 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2770.jpg (55.8 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2771.jpg (51.8 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2772.jpg (36.3 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2773.jpg (33.4 KB, 365 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hobart 11-a manual 1936.pdf (216.8 KB, 16 views)
timboio is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:04 AM   #2
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

That looks awesome, also looks heavy

Don't send the Foster's, it's a Federal crime(IamMadMan)

Join us for a Laugh.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Titch is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 02:09 AM   #3
timboio
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
...also looks heavy
You got that right. It's somewhere well over 100lb. If it weren't so unwieldy to move, I'd stick it on a scale to figure out the actual weight. As it is, I just try not to think about the pain of the next time I need to move it off this table.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:04 AM   #4
IamMadMan

Very Nice
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome. That thing is not one you throw in the cabinet after using....
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Amazing find, in great condition. Well done!
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 07:06 AM   #7
PatAttack

That jewel belongs in a museum!

If nothing else, have a special made table built for it with a butcher block top. It would make a beautiful working display.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Hobart from the 1950's. Looks like most of it is original, except for the paint. I hear you about it being heavy as i've had to move mine enough. Good ole america steel that's still working
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #9
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

What amazes me is how similar the design is to a slicer today. For the first production model looks like they nailed the basic design.

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

Cool.

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #11
Mikhail
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Love Hobart stuff. I grew up not far from Troy, OH where they are, or were perhaps, built. A friend of mine who bakes found herself this big mondo Hobart upright mixer, commercial grade and as tall as she is. I just asked her for a pic of it. Custom paint job and all. Indestructible.

PK Classic Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Good One Open Range over & under

Last edited by Mikhail; 06-19-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
Mikhail
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Here it is... in it's native habitat... she had it custom painted to go from bright gold at the top to a coppery brown at the bottom.

PK Classic Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Good One Open Range over & under
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #13
brendamn
Found some matches.

Mik, I'm a little taller than my Hobart, but I weigh less. :)

To the OP, that's a beautiful Hobart slicer you got. What a find! I bet it works well yet, too. If not, you can likely still get parts for it. My mixer is vintage, though not as old as your item, and I can still get the seals, gears, and whatever it would need. So far, just a new seal and fresh grease for the motor is all it needed.

Thanks for posting the pics!
brendamn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017, 12:50 AM   #14
timboio
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendamn View Post
Mik, I'm a little taller than my Hobart, but I weigh less. :)

To the OP, that's a beautiful Hobart slicer you got. What a find! I bet it works well yet, too. If not, you can likely still get parts for it. My mixer is vintage, though not as old as your item, and I can still get the seals, gears, and whatever it would need. So far, just a new seal and fresh grease for the motor is all it needed.

Thanks for posting the pics!
Fortunately it works great - with the only missing part being the stone sharpening wheel (which likely wore out and broke ages ago).

Crazy enough, there are no parts available for this model anywhere. Even the guys that specialize in parts for old hobart slickers (literally oldhobartslicerparts.com) have never seen one of these. When I tried to contact hobart directly for any info on this model, they simply said that they have no records of seeing one of these in the modern era. I suspect this is literally one of the last few remaining.

The challenge is that while I love this thing, it's insanely heavy and a little absurd for my use (and my wife thinks it's way too big). I mean, it can make paper-thin salami slices, and that's cool. But talk about overkill. I just wish I had some idea what it was worth, or how I could find someone interested in buying it, or a museum interested in preserving it! Until then, she'll have to put up with it in the garage next to the kitchen door. :)

Old 06-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #15
timboio
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Here it is... in it's native habitat... she had it custom painted to go from bright gold at the top to a coppery brown at the bottom.

Wow, that is the kind of mixer that rips your arm off when you're not paying attention. What a beauty.

Tags
11-a, 11a, hobart, slicer