MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #31
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

I had a chargriller with soda can steel and I cooked some seriously killer Q on it. Its more difficult but it ain't impossible. Thin steel doesn't mean anything about getting to a temp, it just affects your ability to hold it there. They turn into much more of a roller coaster, but you can still make great food on em. Running splits with plates it still ran pretty steady. I'd get a solid 30-40 minutes between splits.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #32
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookieman View Post
People keep telling me to burn wood, but getting the firebox hot isn't my problem. I can't get the heat to transfer. I can't see what difference it would make to burn a different material if you can't get it to transfer to the pit.
People keep telling you to burn wood because they know what they are talking about and you are not listening. Charcoal is going to put out a ton of btu's in the form of IR heat that will heat the walls of the firebox. An open flame on wood splits is going to put out more of its btu's in usable convection heat. You need the covective airflow/chimney effect to suck air into the fire box, heat it, and draw it through the cook chamber.

Too much airflow and you let a lot of heat go out the chimney and you need to burn a ton of fuel to maintain temps. Too little airflow and you either get a smoldering fire or a hot firebox and cold main chamber.

You need to find wood splits, not chips or chunks. Only use charcoal to get the wood fire started. Until you accept this, you are wasting your time adding or removing mods or whatever else you plan to try.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #33
OSD
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookieman View Post
Shagdog - If I close it up and leave it, it takes an eternity to get the thing back up to temp (tried the smokestack in various positions). I'm using a Qmaster with a motor blowing at 100% power and it blows a considerable draft into the firebox. The fire gets nice and hot. Burned the paint off the thing already (lol). Heat in the firebox isn't the issue. It gets GOING going.
This and the exhaust mod are keeping you from getting proper air flow. Do away with both and use splits. That should cure the problem. You aren't getting enough air flow using that fan on your type of pit.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #34
cats49er
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Stacy Robertson

Do as others have said ,and check your exhaust flue.Make sure it is not blocked in any way and keep it all the way open.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #35
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Q.U.E. View Post
I'll be curious if your rig is 2015/earlier or 2016/later. That's the difference right there. We are essentially talking two different pits under the same name of OKJ. It's what I call the gap between 2nd and 3rd generation OKJ.

I promise I'm not trying to disrespect but if we are trying to give straight and skinny opinions, those are my views. I'd be blown away if you've got a 2016 later OKJ and you cook the Que that you do. If you do, then hats off to you. OKJ has done to the bbq public what ivory soap did when they shrank their soap bar sizes and boasted no price increases!

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #36
mike-cleveland
is one Smokin' Farker

I have had a 2014 OKJ Highland and just picked up a new one today. Both were exactly the same in terms of weight and metal thickness. I can do a run tomorrow and post pics and temps. I have had no problem running the highland in 300 degrees plus.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #37
W.I.T.W.A.G?
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I agree with most others as well. Burn coal to get your bed and go to splits.
Stick burning is the "manual transmission" of the bbq world. If you can do it effectively you can run about anything. Similar to a manual transmission car it is becoming more of a lost art.

Why Is The Whiskey Always Gone?
http://www.ironsidesmokers.com
W.I.T.W.A.G? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #38
SmittyJonz

Quote:
I'll be curious if your rig is 2015/earlier or 2016/later. That's the difference right there. We are essentially talking two different pits under the same name of OKJ. It's what I call the gap between 2nd and 3rd generation OKJ.
The Ok Joes have been the same for the last 5-6-7-8 years. They dropped the slide out ash pan -that always rusted out - a few years ago but they the same guage ever since Walmart n Lowes started carrying them. This Longhorn I borrowed in Oklahoma 2 years ago was about 5 or 6 years old at the time and it's no Heavier guage than the one I saw at Lowes a few Days ago.

End to End temp difference.....(or end to middle - probes were moved as I shifted/wrapped Briskets n added Ribs)

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 06-05-2017 at 10:01 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #39
tom b
Babbling Farker

nice work Smitty!

Old 06-05-2017, 11:49 PM   #40
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
The Ok Joes have been the same for the last 5-6-7-8 years. They dropped the slide out ash pan -that always rusted out - a few years ago but they the same guage ever since Walmart n Lowes started carrying them. This Longhorn I borrowed in Oklahoma 2 years ago was about 5 or 6 years old at the time and it's no Heavier guage than the one I saw at Lowes a few Days ago.

End to End temp difference.....(or end to middle - probes were moved as I shifted/wrapped Briskets n added Ribs)

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I promise you the OKJ in your photos is not the same rig you can now buy at big box retailers today. I've owned 4 decent pits and 4 that I tossed aside over 20 years doing bbq. I knew this was going to be a contentious item but OKJ is not the same brand it used to be. I've clearly stirred something but I don't want to be afraid to tell people what I know.

A buddy of mine told me I should go into buying and selling pits. I have a knack for finding diamonds in the rough. I've managed to find pits and sell them at a profit even after cooking on them and not doing the best cleaning job. The one in your photos I could move. The one I laid hands on over Memorial Day Weekend at Lowes , no.

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2017, 12:26 AM   #41
Jam Jam
Knows what a fatty is.

OP, Is the baffle in there between your CC and firebox?
Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2017, 04:31 AM   #42
smoke ninja

Quote:
We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I promise you the OKJ in your photos is not the same rig you can now buy at big box retailers today. I've owned 4 decent pits and 4 that I tossed aside over 20 years doing bbq. I knew this was going to be a contentious item but OKJ is not the same brand it used to be. I've clearly stirred something but I don't want to be afraid to tell people what I know.

A buddy of mine told me I should go into buying and selling pits. I have a knack for finding diamonds in the rough. I've managed to find pits and sell them at a profit even after cooking on them and not doing the best cleaning job. The one in your photos I could move. The one I laid hands on over Memorial Day Weekend at Lowes , no.
Dude. Seriously your wrong

Edit: you do realize that smity is pretty knowledgeable in cos pits himself. Some would say he's the brethrens resident expert.

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs

Last edited by smoke ninja; 06-06-2017 at 04:36 AM..
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2017, 06:36 AM   #43
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post

Edit: you do realize that smity is pretty knowledgeable in cos pits himself. Some would say he's the brethrens resident expert.
It's the power of the free market, people will choose what they will. Even with asymmetric information,people will know about discrepancies, know their products , and still make choices that may not be rational. Over time, it's a personal matter and choice, just not a choice I'd make 20 years in

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"

Last edited by Notorious Q.U.E.; 06-06-2017 at 07:15 AM..

Old 06-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #44
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post

I wouldn't call a faceless pseudonym Internet forum as the most credible place for finding "expert" knowledge. It's one source of many and a good one, but not gospel. I don't hear so and so said it and then immediately drop my guard! I guess Michigan DMV has your given name as "smoke" (lower case) and surname "ninja" (also lower case)?

You could be a PhD in thermodynamics or an eighth grader. Either way, careful with the more people said it therefore it's true business. If Myron Mixon or Paul Kirk are quoted on record then we've got a different ball game and I will adjust my views.

It's your money, it's a free country, enjoy amigo. Emotional buying is what pads quarterly earnings statements on the S & P 500. I've got a bridge in Brooklyn you might want to check out. I can send you the Craigslist link if you'd like. It says it's pre-paid cash cards only to help in the noble crusade of liberating a Nigerian prince. Send the money smoke ninja or you won't receive your hundred million in diamonds!!

Last edited by Notorious Q.U.E.; 06-06-2017 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #45
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Arguing over who is the better fake expert on metal thickness is asinine. The OP's issue has nothing to do with the gauge of steel used in 2016 vs 2014 or 2012. His problem is he is using the wrong fuel and until he fixes that he and the rest of us are just wasting our time.

Thanks from: --->