MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #16
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have the longhorn. It is a longer version of the highland. First how do measure temps?

The trick is to burn wood down to coals and use the coals to ignite the splits. Temps are almost secondary because if the bed dies the splits wont catch.

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 11:21 AM   #17
Shagdog
Babbling Farker

I missed this statement before, but it speaks volumes -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookieman View Post

I get the firebox roaring and consuming fuel at an astonishingly fast rate, but the pit barely gets to 300. I ain't in there looking every 2 minutes either. It just takes a half hour to get from a quick basting back to 250 even. What gives?
If you close it up and leave it, the temp drops a lot? That points towards lousy airflow/not enough air to the fire. If your fire smolders/drops temp when the firebox is closed, try leaving the firebox door slightly open and see what happens. You should be able to pull better temps once that vent is gone, but make sure you have adequate intake as well.

And yes, there is a huge discrepancy between firebox temps and cooking chamber temps. There always will be, but with some better airflow and fire management it should start humming along.

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #18
SmittyJonz

Quote:

It's gotta be the vent. Also, I'm going to MacGyver a O2 delivery system out of my Qmaster. Something like a burner for air that runs under neither the firebox grate.
You need to go a WSM or UDS or an insulated cabinet smoker..... or an ASSASSIN Grill.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #19
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Ok I'll be the jerk here and I've held off for a while. I've followed OKJ for a long time. I almost bought a Horizon because those are supposedly the true OKJ successors. OKJ has had essentially 3 incarnations:

1) Original built like a tank Roger Davidson specials that are coveted on the aftermarket
2) half way decent lowes / Home Depot COS when they were initially sold to charbroil, they had given Davidson assurances during the transition that quality would be maintained
3) last 2 years, every time I've lifted the door to an OKJ cook chamber, I've been floored by how flimsy they've become. It feels like the thickness of a soda can I kid you not.

So here it goes: are you within the 30 day money back guarantee window? It may be worth seeing if you can return it. I'll be the jerk and say that the Achilles heel is the thinness of OKJ metal. You're getting a raging inferno but it's spilling out into the atmosphere and not transferring into cook chamber. Once in the cook chamber , it is being sinked once again into the environment. Punchline: today's OKJ cookers can't hold a temp :(

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #20
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Q.U.E. View Post
Ok I'll be the jerk here and I've held off for a while. I've followed OKJ for a long time. I almost bought a Horizon because those are supposedly the true OKJ successors. OKJ has had essentially 3 incarnations:

1) Original built like a tank Roger Davidson specials that are coveted on the aftermarket
2) half way decent lowes / Home Depot COS when they were initially sold to charbroil, they had given Davidson assurances during the transition that quality would be maintained
3) last 2 years, every time I've lifted the door to an OKJ cook chamber, I've been floored by how flimsy they've become. It feels like the thickness of a soda can I kid you not.

So here it goes: are you within the 30 day money back guarantee window? It may be worth seeing if you can return it. I'll be the jerk and say that the Achilles heel is the thinness of OKJ metal. You're getting a raging inferno but it's spilling out into the atmosphere and not transferring into cook chamber. Once in the cook chamber , it is being sinked once again into the environment. Punchline: today's OKJ cookers can't hold a temp :(
NOT. Notorious Q - you are way too Hung up on metal gauge/thickness. I've seen it in several posts. Sure Heavier is Better but I've Smoked in a File Cabinet and put out Q I'd put up against anybody with any smoker. I've seen guys build Smokers out of 3/8" Oilfield pipe then Bitch it takes 2- 2.5 hrs for their smoker to reach temp - one's a Buddy of Mine. My Heaviest guage Smoker is 3/16" - The Smokehouse Old Country Gave Me. Most of the Old Country's are 14 guage and run just fine and will last a good while if cared for. The Ok Joes are 16 or 14 guage.
The really thin ones -like a Charbroil -are 18/20 guage and there's still guys running those just Fine.
It's airflow issues - most likely because of the dryer vent and possibly any baffle or deflector plate if added. It'll run on Charcoal but it'll EAT Up some charcoal.

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 06-05-2017 at 12:10 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #21
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

We're gonna need pics of this pit. A lot of things just aren't adding up here. I've burned big sticker burners and small charcoals smokers without much issue of keeping temps up. I was burning my sticker burner this weekend which is probably about the same size as yours and only had to add a piece of wood every 30-40 mins and it was holding at 300-350 no problem. My tank is 1/4" thick so if yours is thinner then it should be hotter since your not using all the heat from the fire to heat metal.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #22
Mookieman
Found some matches.

Ninja - I'm using 6 thermometers. The one on the top that came with it (screws into the lid), 2 on both ends at grate level, the probe for the pit on the Qmaster (as well as the food probe) and a separate Maverick probe that I've always used.

Shagdog - If I close it up and leave it, it takes an eternity to get the thing back up to temp (tried the smokestack in various positions). I'm using a Qmaster with a motor blowing at 100% power and it blows a considerable draft into the firebox. The fire gets nice and hot. Burned the paint off the thing already (lol). Heat in the firebox isn't the issue. It gets GOING going.

Zak - Yeah, something isn't adding up. I'll post some photos on my next attempt tonight. Going to stick with some simple chicken breasts, this time without that dryer vent (that's got to be the problem).
Mookieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #23
MisterChrister
Babbling Farker

If you watch a pile of glowing hot charcoal, it does just that, glows hot right near the pile. If you watch a fire from a pile of wood splits, the flames are a foot high or more, and reaching for the sky. Same thing in your firebox, the draft of the flames will carry the BTUs into your cook chamber.

Just humor us and try a fire as suggested (sans the other mods), burning nothing but wood splits once you get your base built. It'll work, I promise. Stickburners don't run well on charcoal.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #24
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
NOT. Notorious Q - you are way too Hung up on metal gauge/thickness. I've seen it in several posts. Sure Heavier is Better but I've Smoked in a File Cabinet and put out Q I'd put up against anybody with any smoker. I've seen guys build Smokers out of 3/8" Oilfield pipe then Bitch it takes 2- 2.5 hrs for their smoker to reach temp - one's a Buddy of Mine. My Heaviest guage Smoker is 3/16" - The Smokehouse Old Country Gave Me. Most of the Old Country's are 14 guage and run just fine and will last a good while if cared for. The Ok Joes are 16 or 14 guage.
The really thin ones -like a Charbroil -are 18/20 guage and there's still guys running those just Fine.
It's airflow issues - most likely because of the dryer vent and possibly any baffle or deflector plate if added. It'll run on Charcoal but it'll EAT Up some charcoal.
I hear ya Smitty. Metal thickness is my thing. To be clear, you have to have BOTH airflow AND metal thickness. The super thin charbroils can hold temps if you hover over them and watch them like hawks, making adjustments every 3-5 min. It's like saying my '83 Buick with ski rack can do everything your '15 Cadillac does, it gets me from point A to point B!! Cool, that's a true statement but, man, is that a bumpy experience :(

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"

Old 06-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #25
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

The thing is that your infrared heat from the charcoal wants to go up not sideways, you need the flames and the wood gases to carry the heat with them into the cook chamber. I know that you think heat is heat, but it's more complicated than that. Just throw a log on there and watch the magic happen.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #26
SmittyJonz

Have you added a baffle or deflector or convection plate of some sorts. ? That could disrupt draft also......
Ditch the dryer vent and try again on charcoal then next cook try a chimney of lit charcoal and a split and then feed a split every 45 minutes.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #27
Mookieman
Found some matches.

Well I was mixing it up. It's not like there was no wood in there. It wasn't logs, I don't have access to whole logs. I did have the Western brand wood blocks though.

We'll see where we're at once that dry vent comes out. That's gotta be the issue. Not enough "draw".
Mookieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #28
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Q.U.E. View Post

Well not to pick a fight but im gonna disagree with this. Ok joe is currently recognized as the lowest end of usable cos pits (smitty could vouch). They are a step below similar old country pits, maybe comparable to brinkmann trail master (if they still make them) that said they are still considered a functional pit. Unusable is more like dyna glo, which by the way, can still be ran at cooking temps.

Again i own a longhorn and still kick the tires on the ones at big box stores (i know im not the only brethren) when i walk by the grill section.

The ok joe highland can DEFINITELY get up to temp and hold it when being fed splits every 30-45 min

Old 06-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #29
smoke ninja

Quote:
Well I was mixing it up. It's not like there was no wood in there. It wasn't logs, I don't have access to whole logs. I did have the Western brand wood blocks though.

We'll see where we're at once that dry vent comes out. That's gotta be the issue. Not enough "draw".
Mookieman please look at these pics. Burn wood. Build coal bed, as splits as needed. Supplement with charcoal or lump as needed/wanted to maintain coal base. Use
Coal bed to light splits.

Building the base

Adding splits. Be sure to leave firebox door open until it ignites

Old 06-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #30
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Well not to pick a fight but im gonna disagree with this. Ok joe is currently recognized as the lowest end of usable cos pits (smitty could vouch). They are a step below similar old country pits, maybe comparable to brinkmann trail master (if they still make them) that said they are still considered a functional pit. Unusable is more like dyna glo, which by the way, can still be ran at cooking temps.

Again i own a longhorn and still kick the tires on the ones at big box stores (i know im not the only brethren) when i walk by the grill section.

The ok joe highland can DEFINITELY get up to temp and hold it when being fed splits every 30-45 min
I'll be curious if your rig is 2015/earlier or 2016/later. That's the difference right there. We are essentially talking two different pits under the same name of OKJ. It's what I call the gap between 2nd and 3rd generation OKJ.

I promise I'm not trying to disrespect but if we are trying to give straight and skinny opinions, those are my views. I'd be blown away if you've got a 2016 later OKJ and you cook the Que that you do. If you do, then hats off to you. OKJ has done to the bbq public what ivory soap did when they shrank their soap bar sizes and boasted no price increases!