LSG offset: Spritz vs no sprits on ribs side-by-side

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This was fun. Troy and I got together and shot several videos last week. This morning he put up a brisket video on his channel, and I put up this one.

For years I never spritzed. I don't think I was "against" it as much as when I was learning I read some stuff that said it just slowed down the cooking process. Then I started hanging out with more competition cooks and almost all of them spritz. I can't say I noticed a huge difference either in flavor (or slowing down the cook) but I've never done a side by side test. That's where this idea came in. I wanted to see if there was a discernible difference in spritzing vs not spritzing.

Warning: It gets a little long at the end but we were really trying to determine the differences.

I hope you guys enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/BJCVqBBrKcE

What I came away with is that you thought Harry Soo's rub is better with some sugar added, which matches my experience with rubs on pork in general, pork requires more sweetness than beef or chicken.
Also, you should have sprayed the third rack with plain water, as the spraying vs no spraying added another variable.:razz:
I liked the music you started out with, what was it?

Enjoyed the video, but it didn't settle the debate for me. Think it does demonstrate, however, that the quality of the rack matters. Can't always tell by looking at a raw rack whether it will produce the right result (or at least I can't).

I agree with you here. The only way to truly know is to do another cook! Maybe this one could come out different... haha. Great video maniac! Love your channel and T-roys, always informative and entertaining. BBQ on brethren!

I always watch "the abridged" version, but good one again. Ribs were super thin (like really thin) and one isn't a big sample size to really determine if spritz is good/bad. But a good start. I like pickle juice/hot sauce if I spritz. Would be interesting to see multiple shots at this with thicker ribs to get a better sample size.

Maybe in my abridged watching I missed the wrapping, but did you wrap? The fast forward "scroll view" showed no wrapping at all which then really isn't comp style (in today's sense) and a little misleading. But I get titles and youtube to draw views :-D. Lot's of great restaurants run naked and spritz, but the comp in the title to me isn't accurate at all. Also comp finishing at the end gets sauce, extra rub, and a bunch of other things.

Good video but I have a short attention span for most youtube videos over 5-10 minutes. Verdict: spritz is equivalent to no spritz except when sugar is in the mix. Makes sense. Liquid evaporates leaving the sugar behind.

Thanks for doing this. I absolutely love experiments. Honestly I wasn’t too surprised by the results but it’s always nice to have a real test to rely on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brother Justin, nice test and fun video to watch. I agree it's hard to get an even trio of ribs in a cryovac. Maybe having a few racks to choose from for each category would make the sample selection a little more even. If you need someone to help eat the leftovers just let me know.

In my experience a high sugar spritz like apple juice helps caramelization during the initial higher temps for setting a nice bark. But i always just add some brown sugar for that. In my opinion, if you plan to wrap mid way through, dont bother spritzing.

What I came away with is that you thought Harry Soo's rub is better with some sugar added, which matches my experience with rubs on pork in general, pork requires more sweetness than beef or chicken.
Also, you should have sprayed the third rack with plain water, as the spraying vs no spraying added another variable.:razz:
I liked the music you started out with, what was it?

Yeah, I will probably do a follow up video on this if people seem to watch it. There were a lot of different ways to cut this. water would have made sense. A salty non-sweet spritz might have been interesting. I would also be curious if there is a difference between straight apple juice and straight Apple cider vinegar.

That song is from Epidemic Sound. It's called "Mountain Air." I kinda like the mello feel to it. Kinda fits where I am in life right now. Thanks for noticing.

Maybe for the next video you should add some credibility to my mayo vs ranch vs mustard slather for ribs :heh:

I always watch "the abridged" version, but good one again. Ribs were super thin (like really thin) and one isn't a big sample size to really determine if spritz is good/bad. But a good start. I like pickle juice/hot sauce if I spritz. Would be interesting to see multiple shots at this with thicker ribs to get a better sample size.

Maybe in my abridged watching I missed the wrapping, but did you wrap? The fast forward "scroll view" showed no wrapping at all which then really isn't comp style (in today's sense) and a little misleading. But I get titles and youtube to draw views :-D. Lot's of great restaurants run naked and spritz, but the comp in the title to me isn't accurate at all. Also comp finishing at the end gets sauce, extra rub, and a bunch of other things.

Thanks Jason. Like I explained in the "full version" ;-) of the video, yes, one rack was in particular was thinner. It was in the middle of the 3 pack and I couldn't see it till I got home. I also explained there was a reason we didn't wrap. The idea was to isolate and exaggerate the effect...which I'm glad we did because it was still pretty hard to tell the difference.

Regarding the title being misleading, remember the title wasn't "Competition ribs"...it was "Competition Style ribs experiment: Spritzing vs no spritz| Does Spritzing matter? | Lone Star Grillz" I don't feel like that's misleading at all. In fact, I actually feel like it's too darn wordy and specific. lol. In the video, I explained that this was a part of a series to test experiment with different competition methods used and hopefully develop a body of work we can all benefit from.

Regarding your point on the small sample size...Yeah, I totally agree. i guess we'll have to try again. Oh darn :)

Good video but I have a short attention span for most youtube videos over 5-10 minutes. Verdict: spritz is equivalent to no spritz except when sugar is in the mix. Makes sense. Liquid evaporates leaving the sugar behind.

I would’ve thought that too but That really wasn’t what happened. The Apple cider vinegar and apple juice has sugar in it but didn’t seem any different then the one without spritz.

Side note: I would make shorter the videos if I could get away with it but YouTube doesn’t promote them or put them as high in the search results all other things being equal. It annoying.

Good clip. I like the chemistry between you and T-Roy. It works well in all the videos I've seen. You look like you really have fun cooking together.

This isn’t Relevant to your text but I have considered spritzing with lightly salted water. Meat needs some salt to help it tast good.

Back