MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc
Default High Plains Kettle Fried Chicken (with a side trip to Nashville) - w/ Pr0n

Happy Sunday, folks!

Bit of an experiment going on here, as CINCHOUSE had the hankering for Nashville Hot Chicken as we got home from a rather nice shindig last night. We agreed that we really aren't in the mood to handle the cleanup required for deep fried goodness, so we agreed that we'd finish it on the kettle with the Vortex.

This is a combo of three recipes:
1. The adobo poach and marinade from Ed Lee's Fried Chicken
2. The wet and dry breading process from Sean Brock's Heritage Cookbook
3. The post-cook spicy oil dip from Carla Hall's Nashville Hot Chicken

Built myself an old fashioned, and I'm about to get started... this'll take most of the afternoon, and our munchkin is down for a nap.

Good thing they labeled these, as I thought I'd accidentally grabbed a pork loin or two.

Built the Adobo Marinade:

Time for a slow and steady poach:

Old 04-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Nice start Marc.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Off to a good start. I'm tuned in. Sadly, there are some people that probably need those stickers.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

I was going to say the same thing about the label. Great minds ( and smart a$$es) think alike
Knowing your cooking skills, I expect nothing less than incredible!
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
LYU370

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

So what is that ? Chicken?

Do you simmer that Marinade first?

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Looks and sounds really good Marc
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #8
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Scott

Looks great. Excited for some good chicken.

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
ShadowDriver

While the chicken rested (in the Adobo bath) after the poach, I whipped up Carla Hall's Post-Fry Spicy Dredge/Dip/Bath (whatever).

Toasted the spices for a bit until they were fragrant:

Oh yeah, that looks sweet, spicy, and very flavorful:

Old 04-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #10
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titch View Post
So what is that ? Chicken?

Do you simmer that Marinade first?
I hope so, on the chicken question, Titch. One can only guess sometimes these days.

Simmer? Yes, sir. The gospel according to Ed Lee, verse 2, directs us heathens to simmer the marinade/poaching liquid for about 5 minutes before we add the chicken. I've used Ed's full recipe/procedure before, and it is DELICIOUS. It's also a fun video to watch from Mind of a Chef, if you do a quick search on the Interwebs.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #11
ShadowDriver

Bird resting and drying after the Adobo wet sauna.

Taking a break before building the breading station from the Sean Brock Husk recipe.

P.S. - It smells farkin' delicious in here. That post-fry oil dip/bath thing is perfuming the air with its sweet/spicy/smokiness.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #12
ShadowDriver

Breading, said in a "Husky Voice."

Technique inspiration also from Ludo Lefebvre.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #13
gtr

If I could fly a farkin plane I'd be on my way right now!

This all looks very interesting - I've never poached before frying but I could definitely see that as being a very good thing to do.

edit - I was typing this post as yer post above went live - anyway - that Ludo feller? that is definitely someone to listen to! He has a great food truck and a chicken spot on Universal City Walk - there's a dude who knows how to make great food.

Super looking forward to this!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
ShadowDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
If I could fly a farkin plane I'd be on my way right now!

This all looks very interesting - I've never poached before frying but I could definitely see that as being a very good thing to do.
Greg,

We live in the middle of bloody nowhere, but you're welcome.

CINCHOUSE tried poaching wings before baking (while I was deployed) with GREAT results on the crispy skin and tender meat areas.

I expect this KFC to take significantly less cooking time on the kettle than w/o the poaching step.

I'm such a huge fan of Mind of a Chef (through the years), that I've come to take bits and pieces of different chefs' recipes and techniques and put them together. NO guarantees, but I figure they're WAY more experienced at this than I am! Why not give it a shot!?

Hope this finds you well and cooking another batch of wings, as per usual. Best to you and the family.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #15
gtr

^^^I'm actually fixing to get up off the couch right now & fry some wings so as to get that one last use out of some aging oil I'm about to toss.

If you're ever out this way, holler and we can hit Ludo's, or APL's, or wherever! One problem L.A. doesn't have is a shortage of great food spots.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Carla Hall, Ed Lee, Fried Chicken, Kettle Fried Chicken, Nashville Hot Chicken, Sean Brock