MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Wonder who's selling the Longhorn now. I believe Charbroil had bought New Braunfels after NB bought Oklahoma Joe. Just another little picture of Chinese made stuff affecting our standard of living. Before Charbroil entered the picture these things were heavy duty.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #17
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

The new Oklahoma joe longhorns are not as well built as the originals . You might have some fire/heat control problems with them . Check out Horizon BBQ Smokers , the company evolved from the original Oklahoma Joe's . However , the price is more than double than Home Depot .

Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #18
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

As to T-Man's comment about the Horizons, he's dead right, but this "Longhorn" on sale for $379 is a whole lot cheaper than the 20"X36" Horizon that Bass Pro sales for a grand. That cooker comes up a little short though; literally. It's only got a 36" cooking chamber and the longer one is over $1400. Any one know just how long the Longhorn's cooking chamber is? Or the fb for that matter?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

I think I am going to change my plans to looking into building a UDS and look for a used offset on CL that is fairly close and really good deal. They seem to be easy and cheap to build and people seem to be able put out some good BBQ and looks like they would be easy to use with quite a bit less tending than an offset. I have access to a few 55 gallon drums but they have had used motor oil stored in them. There seems to be mixed opinions on this being safe to use. I am in the opinion if you clean it out and give it a good burn you will be all set but other people says you will never get that oil out of there.I plan on using one to build a UDS and another one to build a wood burning grill for when I just want to do steaks or burgers and dogs or something similar to that and don't have the time for a slow cook. Building the grill out of the drum doesn't seem that difficult but building a good sturdy stand looks a little more difficult.
spider22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #20
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider22 View Post
I think I am going to change my plans to looking into building a UDS and look for a used offset on CL that is fairly close and really good deal. They seem to be easy and cheap to build and people seem to be able put out some good BBQ and looks like they would be easy to use with quite a bit less tending than an offset.
Great idea there. You can't duplicate the flavor of a stickburner on a charcoal cooker that smolders wood for flavor like a wsm or uds. However, you can get your smoke on with the stickburner and transfer to the more "set it and forget it" cooker and have the best of both worlds. Good luck with it.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #21
Spoony
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have this unit and yes it gets hot and can hold heat well. But you will need to make mods for best results. The fire box comes with a crate and you can cook direct if you like. You will need to paint fire box and may need to gasket around stack and door to hold more smoke but I have loaded this cooker up and it produce. By the way I bought mine for 579 so that is a real good deal.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
By the way I bought mine for 579 so that is a real good deal.
Haven't seen the one at Home Depot yet, but $579 would be a GREAT deal on the original model that Oklahoma Joe made. I believe it was 1/4" if not mistaken. How old is yours?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #23
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Default char griller

I was actually looking at the char griller smokin pro for only 189 and it looks like it can be used as regular grill easier than some of the other offsets. I found one used for 100 but it is 2 1/2 hours away and at gas prices the way they are not a great deal. I know it is still a COS but it looks like I can use it as a grill which is what I will do most of the time and with the money I save rather than buying the Oklahama Joe I will have more than enough to build a UDS when I get time.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I had a Char-griller w/ sfb, but since it's so short you have to at least turn the charcoal grate upside down and use it as a heat shield if you want to smoke much meat at once or cook cleanly under 275*. As a grill it's ok, but I much prefer Weber kettles. I got my 22.5" OTG off craigslist for $50. You can't adjust the coal height, but it cooks much more evenly and the damper does a much better job adjusting temp because of the tight design. If I want to cook more, I just fire up some charcoal in my OTHER Weber 22.5" kettle. Yep, I like my kettles, both for direct grilling and HH indirect. It's amazing how evenly half a grate full of wings will cook up with all the charcoals pushed to the other side.

Back to the CG and offsets though....I think an offset stickburner's cooking chamber is best left for smoking, not direct grilling because the high temps can mess with the seasoning.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #25
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
Great idea there. You can't duplicate the flavor of a stickburner on a charcoal cooker that smolders wood for flavor like a wsm or uds. However, you can get your smoke on with the stickburner and transfer to the more "set it and forget it" cooker and have the best of both worlds. Good luck with it.
I want to make sure I understand what you are saying. You are saying it would work to start it on an offset with wood and then transfer it to a UDS to finish it?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #26
Spoony
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default here it is in action

Working all the time. Holds temp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker2.jpg (13.2 KB, 105 views)

Tags
joe, longhorn, offset, oklahoma, smoker