Favorite holiday food?

jermoQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
We were having the favorite Turkey Day food talk in our classroom and I figured I would throw it out there for fun. Including Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years, what is your favorite thing to eat/drink/whatever for the holidays?

Mine is the good not-cheaply-bought-at-Satans-warehouse Pumpkin pie, and the spicy sausage stuffing my aunt brings every year---it is awesome!

My grandmothers cornbread dressing. We fight over leftovers. Another favorite is her home made biscuits. Nothing fancy, but when you come in from the cold after hunting and are hungry, some warm ham, scrambled eggs and her home made biscuits sopped in some Steen's Cane Syrup is best thing ever. I really only get to enjoy it around the Holidays/ Hunting season.

Oyster dressing, my MIL's pretzel salad (pretzel crust, cream cheese/cool whip layer, strawberry jello with strawberries - fantastic stuff, especially when you consider it's jello)

I think mine is my mom's stuffing and the cheesy spaghetti corn casserole that she makes.

A close 3rd place is a leftover turkey sandwich on cheap white bread with mayo and a little salt and pepper

Ham. I like Ham better than Turkey.
The Brother-In-Law brings a Honey Baked Ham, so there is lots to feast on as we gather.
I'm going to bring a Crock Pot full of my version of Dutch's Baked Beans. It was a scape the bottom favorite last year.
And I always like some mashed Potatoes and Gravy.

But Christmas Day Breakfast at Grandma and Grandpa's has to be my home cured Smoked Bacon. 16 of us went through 3 1/2 pounds as quick as I could fry it up.

Cornbread dressing. Everything else is nice but not necessary for me.

Oh, and beer/wine. :-D

Sausage dressing (though my wife still insists on calling it stuffing even without it going anywhere near the uncooked bird's insides).

My entire working life I worked and or on call all major holidays. I have basically a before and after. So as a kid I enjoyed the day of breakfast. My holiday meals were usually on a paper plate under seran wrap in the fridge hours after everyone else had eaten. As a retired person I enjoy sneaking a tad of bourbon into my ice tea or coffee. Not the top shelf stuff. A hidden bottle of blue bag Crown or a Wild Turkey 101. A camouflage sipping glass so as not to offend the non drinkers -Not to much, just
“comfortably numb”.

A food pick—my sister’s Chile cheese grits

Would have to be dressing for me as well. My wife makes a really good corn soufflé that is a close second. Also for potlucks at work I could eat my weight in sausage balls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No doubt about it, it's my mom's cornbread dressing. It's hard to find the old school homemade cornbread kind (and she puts sage in hers...yes please!) because a lot of people use jiffy now (it's good but not the same.) After reading a couple posts 2 definite honorable mentions are fried hog jowls (new years) and sausage balls (FIL christmas party).

Aside from Mom's Sage Dressing and Mashed Potatoes at Thanksgiving or the Beef Tenderloin on Christmas Eve there is one Holiday food that I have no power over. So much so that My Wife has Nick Named it "The Precious" because I got to have it. :-D

It's almost time...……………………

Thanks

Greg

Attachments

• Cookie.jpg
    Cookie.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 89
Cornbread dressing with Italian sausage and gravy. Fireball pumpkin pie with real whipped cream.

Back