MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #1
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default KCBS Steak Contest Strip

I just tried the KC Strip from Creekstone Farms that is available for KCBS Steak contests.
I ordered a KCBS contest KC Strip from Creekstone Farms to see what the company had to offer. I ordered on 10/5/21 it was shipped 10/06/21 and arrived 10/08/21 very good on their part!
The shipping box was lined with 2 inch Styrofoam top/bottom and sides. There were 4 reusable gel packs, the top two were about 60% frozen and the bottom two were probably 80% frozen. The steaks themselves were 100% frozen and in perfectly sealed packages wrapped in a reusable foil bag.

The steak itself was a full 1 5/8” on one side and 1 ˝” on the other, and weighed 1:.02 oz. (illegal by the rules).
I cooked it completely untouched no trim of any kind. Dry brined with Kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder just before it hit the grill.

I cooked it completely untouched no trim of any kind. Dry brined with Kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder just before it hit the grill.

Cooked indirect, flipping twice each side trying to not get sear marks (per rules suggestion).

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/NfN3r79Z/IMG-2
Sliced for presentation, maybe 5 or 10 degrees too much.

0211012-175049850.jpg[/img]

Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-15-2021, 06:07 PM   #2
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

And what is your opinion of the choice of steak itself? Is the strip going to be a good steak to depend on for the tenderness portion of judging? That has been my biggest problem when cooking them.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2021, 07:16 PM   #3
ModelMaker

It was what I imagined a choice steak to be in tenderness, not all that.
If you have some tenderizing expertise up your sleeve I would use it.
Ed
KCBS certified judge

Old 10-15-2021, 07:54 PM   #4
thirdeye

That's the standard drill for Creekstone shipping. An outer box, a Styrofoam coffin, an insulated cooler bag (reusable) and some gel packs. One time I got a Sunday delivery at no charge.

I wish the weight of your steaks would have been heavier to allow for trimming down and still hit the 16 ounce maximum (before cooking) weight at meat inspection.

Thanks for the great review!! SCA barely has a foothold in my area, but I would like to try cooking either event.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #5
thirdeye

Hey.... back up the boat. At meat inspection, the steaks must still in the producers approved cryo packs with the proper label or ID#. If it's a tick over, I guess it's legal??

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2021, 07:15 AM   #6
ModelMaker

In all fairness the .02 oz. included the packaging, if removed and weighed I'm pretty sure it would have made the 16 oz. limit.
Ed
KCBS certified judge