MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #16
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Prime rib and ribeye have a similar taste & texture...you just miss the char/maillard flavor. Prime rib makes up for that with the super seasoned outside layer.

I'll be honest with you...there really isn't any experimentation with prime rib. If you know how to run your pit, or turn on an oven, then you'll have no problems cooking one. It's as simple as it gets.

My biggest piece of advise is to do as you see in the OP here...choose the right piece of meat. After that...it'll be hard to mess up.

Not trying to nitpick or quibble, but I'd disagree with them having similar taste and flavor. That's kind of why you choose whether you want to turn that Ribeye into a deliciously roasted Prime Rib, or grilled as a steak.

Absolutely spot on with the rest of the post. You don't have to run out and spend $50 or $100+ to "experiment." Next time Ribeye is on sale near you, ask the person in the meat department to cut you one about 1.5 inches thick. (really though, you could do it with a 1 inch, 3/4 or whatever). Fire up your cooker to 250ish and throw the meat in. Bring it up to 125-129ish for a Medium Rare. You can do this with a boneless ribeye or bone in.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #17
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
Not trying to nitpick or quibble, but I'd disagree with them having similar taste and flavor. That's kind of why you choose whether you want to turn that Ribeye into a deliciously roasted Prime Rib, or grilled as a steak.

Absolutely spot on with the rest of the post. You don't have to run out and spend $50 or $100+ to "experiment." Next time Ribeye is on sale near you, ask the person in the meat department to cut you one about 1.5 inches thick. (really though, you could do it with a 1 inch, 3/4 or whatever). Fire up your cooker to 250ish and throw the meat in. Bring it up to 125-129ish for a Medium Rare. You can do this with a boneless ribeye or bone in.
I get what you are saying perfectly...I believe I stated my thoughts imperfectly. LoL

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #18
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Now that's how Prime Rib should look, nice work.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #19
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Prime rib looked great....but honestly I had trouble concentrating with that new LSG in the background.
LOL. Yeah, I understand the problem. lol. The next video will use it. Can't wait!

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #20
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Justin,

If you haven't been there yet you should go check out the new US Foods Chef's Store off of Alpha Road in Farmers Branch https://www.usfoods.com/why-us-foods/chef-store.html

Kind of like Restaurant Depot but no membership required and they are open to the public. Great selection of Choice and Prime Beef cuts along with fresh Pork. They seriously mark down meat nearing it's sell-by date by about 30% so it's hard to get out of there without buying something. Cattleack BBQ is also right down the street if you are so inclined....

US Foods Chef's store also carries the ever-elusive Outside Skirt Steak which would be a good candidate for a comparison video of Outside Skirt vs. Inside Skirt. (We are in Texas right?) :)
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #21
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
I get what you are saying perfectly...I believe I stated my thoughts imperfectly. LoL

This was the most non-dramatic disagreement in the history of the world wide web. lol.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]

Old 12-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #22
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
Justin,

If you haven't been there yet you should go check out the new US Foods Chef's Store off of Alpha Road in Farmers Branch https://www.usfoods.com/why-us-foods/chef-store.html

Kind of like Restaurant Depot but no membership required and they are open to the public. Great selection of Choice and Prime Beef cuts along with fresh Pork. They seriously mark down meat nearing it's sell-by date by about 30% so it's hard to get out of there without buying something. Cattleack BBQ is also right down the street if you are so inclined....

US Foods Chef's store also carries the ever-elusive Outside Skirt Steak which would be a good candidate for a comparison video of Outside Skirt vs. Inside Skirt. (We are in Texas right?) :)
I've been to Cattleack BBQ but had no idea the US Foods Chef Store was there. I'll try to stop in at some point. Thank you.

Tags
prime rib, Weber