MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #2926
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_mf_mike View Post
Another question. So i only have one of the half grates to use for the top(i bought a seering grate and use the original half on top. Im not sure i can fit the brisket on that rack. If i want to use a water pan, can i use it on the top rack?

Also, do you find you need one on the mak? I generally have never used a water pan but this being the first time on the mak, not sure if its recommended or not.

I will likely be smoking at 250. Should i have any issues getting adequate smoke at that temp on the bottom grate? I feel like i read 245 is the best temp for smoke on the mak somewhere.

Thanks.
Don’t do 250 deg. Smoke-245 deg is 60% fan speed. 250-295 deg is 80% fan speed. 300+ deg is 100% fan speed. The slower the fan speed the more smoke you get. Water isn’t necessary on the Mak.

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-27-2019, 08:50 PM   #2927
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Probably beating a dead horse here but I have a buddy with a small Traeger (junior?) that wants to upgrade to something bigger...he has liked the Traeger well enough to want to upgrade to something bigger and mentioned getting another Traeger. Wondering what recommendations y'all would make for something in the $1000 or less range, but nicer than a Traeger would be. GMG, Rec-Tec, Grilla???

I love my Mak but was not pleased with the couple Traegers I tried...no experience with anything between a Traeger and Mak.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #2928
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKING! View Post
Don’t do 250 deg. Smoke-245 deg is 60% fan speed. 250-295 deg is 80% fan speed. 300+ deg is 100% fan speed. The slower the fan speed the more smoke you get. Water isn’t necessary on the Mak.

Thank you. this was exactly the information i needed. 245 it is. what is the fan speed at 225? is there a chart of something. I am curious. I feel like there needs to be a wiki with this info.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #2929
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thank you. this was exactly the information i needed. 245 it is. what is the fan speed at 225? is there a chart of something. I am curious. I feel like there needs to be a wiki with this info.
Smoke to 245 deg is 60%. Generally the lower the temp the more smoke you get.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-27-2019, 09:05 PM   #2930
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Probably beating a dead horse here but I have a buddy with a small Traeger (junior?) that wants to upgrade to something bigger...he has liked the Traeger well enough to want to upgrade to something bigger and mentioned getting another Traeger. Wondering what recommendations y'all would make for something in the $1000 or less range, but nicer than a Traeger would be. GMG, Rec-Tec, Grilla???

I love my Mak but was not pleased with the couple Traegers I tried...no experience with anything between a Traeger and Mak.
Slightly more expensive would be the pellet pro cabineT smoker. It’s got a ton of capacity.

Old 07-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #2931
rwalters

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:

Yep, MAK uses a variable speed fan. As mentioned >=245° and the fan will not exceed 60% of its max rpms. >=295° and its maxes at 80% and =<300° and it’s allowed to hit 100%. The difference between 225 and 245° from my experience is there but it’s not really huge. Heck, I get lots of smoke up to 325° and sometimes even higher. But any temp at 245° or lower and you’ll be seeing some really good smoke production!
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #2932
rwalters

Pellet grills in my opinion do not need a water pan. If you want to add moisture, starting at the 2.5-3 hour mark, start spritzing every hour for a few hours. Not necessary, but it does keep things pretty moist while the meat is taking on smoke. Smoke loves clinging to moist meat :)

Old 07-28-2019, 06:33 AM   #2933
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Pellet grills in my opinion do not need a water pan. If you want to add moisture, starting at the 2.5-3 hour mark, start spritzing every hour for a few hours. Not necessary, but it does keep things pretty moist while the meat is taking on smoke. Smoke loves clinging to moist meat :)
Start spritzing the first hour and continue for as long as you can remember to hit it,only takes a few seconds and I use water or apple juice, vinegar doesn't appeal to me for a spritz ymmv

Old 07-28-2019, 06:35 AM   #2934
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I also leave the membrane on the back of ribs to help hole in moisture, it wont run out the bottoms and will pool the moisture on top, I also rarely wrap ribs

Old 07-28-2019, 06:45 AM   #2935
BrandonBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brandon

Bought a Grilla Grills Silverbac Alpha last week I'm waiting on. Hopefully it gets here soon! I can't wait to try out a pellet grill after reading this.

[B]On the 24' porch trailer:[/B]
Stumps XL Stretch

[B]On the patio:[/B]
BBQ Guru Shotgun - Grilla Grills Silverbac Alpha - WSM 22 - Weber Q2200 - Masterbuilt MES 130B
BrandonBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-28-2019, 08:18 AM   #2936
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker

Got this brisket going. So far so good.

Question though. I’m seeing a grease drip on the front left of the cooker(under where the ballet boss interface is). First time I’ve seen this. I cleaned the cooker yesterday. The only different thing is i moved the smoker so it’s possible it’s not completely even, though it looks it. Even still the grease shield should be diverting it to the grease pan on the right and i checked that it is collecting lots of grease there. Any ideas?

Pic: https://imgur.com/a/hq6eFeu

Old 07-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #2937
rwalters

Quote:

Question though. I’m seeing a grease drip on the front left of the cooker(under where the ballet boss interface is). First time I’ve seen this. I cleaned the cooker yesterday. The only different thing is i moved the smoker so it’s possible it’s not completely even, though it looks it. Even still the grease shield should be diverting it to the grease pan on the right and i checked that it is collecting lots of grease there. Any ideas?

Something is definitely not right as you should not have grease dripping from the cooker. As you mentioned, it should be running down the drip pan, into the grease chute and directly into the grease pan. Without more pictures, I am not sure what’s going on... but somewhere along the “grease path” it is obviously being allowed to make it into the belly of the cooker.

-Is the drip pan installed correctly?
-Is the removable panel on the grease chute installed correctly?
-Is the MAK sitting on an incline that could possibly be causing grease to run in directions it should not?

Need more pics... ;)

Let’s take a closer look after this cook and see if we cannot figure out what’s going on [emoji106]

Old 07-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #2938
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Something is definitely not right as you should not have grease dripping from the cooker. As you mentioned, it should be running down the drip pan, into the grease chute and directly into the grease pan. Without more pictures, I am not sure what’s going on... but somewhere along the “grease path” it is obviously being allowed to make it into the belly of the cooker.

-Is the drip pan installed correctly?
-Is the removable panel on the grease chute installed correctly?
-Is the MAK sitting on an incline that could possibly be causing grease to run in directions it should not?

Need more pics... ;)

Let’s take a closer look after this cook and see if we cannot figure out what’s going on [emoji106]
I believe the pan and panel are installed correctly. And i am getting lots of grease in the grease collector so most of it seems to be getting there. But something is definitely off. I suspect it’s on a slight incline. It looks level but it isn’t on the most even ground.

For now i have a bucket collecting the drips. I guess i would rather it be coming out of the cooker then collecting and building up in the cooker floor as i do not want a grease fire(should i be concerned about this?).

I probably have about 8 more hours to go. Will try to take a few pics when i wrap.

While we wait some pics thus far. https://imgur.com/a/zoJigUa

Old 07-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #2939
rwalters

Quote:
I believe the pan and panel are installed correctly. And i am getting lots of grease in the grease collector so most of it seems to be getting there. But something is definitely off. I suspect it’s on a slight incline. It looks level but it isn’t on the most even ground.

For now i have a bucket collecting the drips. I guess i would rather it be coming out of the cooker then collecting and building up in the cooker floor as i do not want a grease fire(should i be concerned about this?).

I probably have about 8 more hours to go. Will try to take a few pics when i wrap.

You should not have problems (grease fire) on a low n slow even if there is grease somehow making its way into the belly of the cooker. I have had it happen before, but after investigating, there was an obvious and correctable reason each time. It’s only happened a few times in the last 4+ years. MAK has made a few improvements over the past several years and especially with the 2019 models as far as grease management. Just keep cooking and let’s take a closer look when your MAK is cool and your belly is full of brisket :)

Old 07-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #2940
SlowmotionQue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Only thing I can think of is it's not level, and grease is flowing back and leaking from an area which was not intended to be water tight.

Or the drip pan might not be installed properly and some grease is flowing backwards.

But I don't believe that grease should be running in that direction, so I'm thinking that it's one of those two.