• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Haven't seen enough prime rib yet? I can help!

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I got this awhile back and aged it for 10 days (I was late getting on the ball - last one I did was 21 days). This is after the aging. It started at around 17# and is now around 15#. This is while I was trimming off the hard stuff that formed while aging.
primeraw1.jpg

primeraw2.jpg

I hit it with kosher salt, cracked black & a little Montreal & cooked it at 200. I started a couple hours earlier than I should have, so I had to adjust. The last thing I wanted to do was overcook this thing. I turned off the oven periodically, set it in the cambro at 110 IT for a while, put it back in the oven, took it to 120 and took it out. It crept up nice & slow. I think over a certain weight, the 30 min/# formula doesn't apply. I don't know what that weight is, but 15# does not mean 7.5 hours of cooking. I'd say it's more like around 5 hours, maybe 6. Anyway, I kept a close eye on the IT and I'm glad I did. If you haven't cooked at 200, you'll want to know that the IT won't budge for a couple hours, but once the climb starts, it increases slowly, but at an accelerating rate.

I set the oven to convection roast at 550. When it got up to temp I put the roast in for 10 or 20 minutes, turning periodically. I was happy when I pulled this out. The crust was the best I've gotten so far.
primecookedroast.jpg

I carved it up
primepiece.jpg

primeplatter2.jpg

primeplatter1.jpg

And ate it with a bunch of other stuff - turkey (dry brined), mashed potatoes, sweet po casserole, brussel sprouts & kale salad (I thought I would hate it, but it's farking awesome), and stuffing. No steak knives necessary. :whoo: I was extremely pleased with the results and the folks who came over didn't seemed OK with it too. :thumb:
primeplate.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great! FYI, in the restaurants I've dry aged beef in we call that "hard stuff that forms while aging" the "Scab". Not a very appetizing term but that's what we call it.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Lordy Lordy Lordy.

You guys are killing me. Coming here and looking at all of the holiday meals you guys are making is killing me.

I agreed a long time ago with my wife that we would continue her Slovakian tradition of the Christmas feast. One only has to check out my recent blog post by clicking below to see why I am soooooo jealous. ....and hungry.

• Thanks
Perfect roast,nice job!!!

I keep some roast intact and in the next few days cut 2" slabs,sear on the grill then bake on it till the slice IT is again @120 rest till it stops and serve.

Notice it looks identical to the first day you made it!!!!!

• Thanks
My wife tells me that nobody can load a plate with as much food as I do. I'm showing her your picture to prove her wrong! Great job!!!! :clap:

• Thanks
Back