MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Next little fact about Prime Rib, and this one is a favorite of mine. The flap that one finds on Prime Rib, the meat that covered the plate and short ribs and the point on a brisket are all off of a muscle group called the deckle (colloquially). The meat shares a similar character that it is all very fatty, coarsely textured and rich in blood. When cooked long enough, or when nearly raw, it is melting tender. If you can find a butcher that will sell you the plate and short ribs uncut, with the meat still attached, you have the same meat as on a point of a brisket, but, on bones. Cook it until it jiggles, and it will be one of the best meals you ever ate.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Great post! Excellent description of what a prime rib is, I just cooked a bone in a week or so ago, and my wife and I got into a rather large disagreement on this very topic, thanks for the clarification:)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Have him get a bone-in roast (cheaper) and ask the butcher to remove
the bone and tie it back on (very common -- people think that the bone
is magic). Then your buddy can remove the bone, cook the roast, and
barbecue the ribs later.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #19
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
Have him get a bone-in roast (cheaper) and ask the butcher to remove
the bone and tie it back on (very common -- people think that the bone
is magic). Then your buddy can remove the bone, cook the roast, and
barbecue the ribs later.

John
EXACTLY, nothing like getting a set of ribeye's on a stick for free;)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Nobody got into the serious cooking phase (besides jest). If you've been hangin' around here for a while, you've seen the beautiful slow smoked/then seared rib roasts. IMO this is the best method because you get that perfect pink from edge to center.

Even starting off slow cooking at 225-250, it won't take more than a couple hours for the roast to hit 110. when it does, remove from low temp and toss on a searing hot fire to sear outside as fast as possible. Remove from sear no later than 125 internal. Let rest loosely tented or just on top of cutting board for 20ish minutes before slicing. Perfection every time.

The reason I'm saying this is I've seen folks post here that the best way to cook rib roasts is the opposite.. They suggest cooking on direct heat for an hour till middle is med rare. By the time that poor piece of beef is cut open, there is a small center area of med rare, and the rest of the meat is well done. IE Donut hole. What would you prefer to eat? Pink and juicy from center to crust? Or dry and brown with a little pink in the middle?

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #21
Braumeister
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
That is a nice score. Tis the season for beef ribs other people waste

Another little fact about Rib roasts in general and Prime Rib in specific.

Ribs 6-9 are referred to as the large end, ribs 10-12 are referred to as the small end. The closer to the large end you are, the more deckle and less rib-eye muscle you get. The closer to the small, the less deckle and larger rib-eye muscle you get. Ribs 11 and 12 will rarely have any deckle at all. So, if you like that fatty flap of meat on a Prime Rib, you want large end, if you want the lean part, then small end.

For a real treat...buy the standing rib roast, from rib 5 to rib 13. That would be nine bones. Find yourself a large-ish rotisserie or Santa Maria grill and roast the entire thing. It should take 2 to 3 hours over a medium fire kicking off 275F to 280F at the meat. Nothing but a Santa Maria type rub. You will be eating a true 1920 to 1940 Santa Maria BBQ.
Hi All
I buy bone in rib primals from Costco is there any way to tell which end I am buying? There is usually 7 bones,15-20lbs.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #22
landarc

You are most likely getting ribs 6-13, as that would be the normal rib primal. You can get the IMPS number, that will tell you exactly what you have. No doubts. Once you have the number, there is a chart that gives you all of the numbers. It is HERE

On Edit: In that document, look up item #103, the Rib Primal, shows all you need to know.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #23
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Next little fact about Prime Rib, and this one is a favorite of mine. The flap that one finds on Prime Rib, the meat that covered the plate and short ribs and the point on a brisket are all off of a muscle group called the deckle (colloquially). The meat shares a similar character that it is all very fatty, coarsely textured and rich in blood. When cooked long enough, or when nearly raw, it is melting tender. If you can find a butcher that will sell you the plate and short ribs uncut, with the meat still attached, you have the same meat as on a point of a brisket, but, on bones. Cook it until it jiggles, and it will be one of the best meals you ever ate.
Terms are so interesting, and sometimes they become buzzwords (from TV, internet and cookbooks) Flap, cap, lip and deckle are used and confused all the time. I guess it could be a muscle group, but deckle used to refer to something trimmed off and thrown away.... now TV chefs are mentioning prime deckle. And like you mentioned deckle and brisket, a number of folks call the point the deckle, which it is not.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

The way that landarc explains it is the way I have understood it which means that almost every photo of a ribeye steak on this forum is not a true ribeye steak because they include the deckle. They are boneless rib steaks. Further, every steak labeled ribeye in the stores is improperly labeled because they include the deckle or cap. Here is a pic to help illustrate.
Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #25
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Timely thread...my wife and I were just talking about this topic. Great read.

Tags
prime, prime rib, Rib Roast, standing, USDA