Fresh spring roll

ulc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
We wanted to get rid of the leftover smoked beef cheeks and spare ribs from this weekend but wanted something light and non-greasy. So we decided to make spring rolls. We went to Nam Dae Mun market in Duluth, GA, and bought rice paper and bunch of fresh veggies and herbs.

Ingredients: smoked beef cheeks, smoked spare rib meat, grilled chicken breast, shrimp, imitation crab meat, bean sprouts, carrots, cucumber, culantro, cilantro, Thai basil, lettuce, bok choy, and rice vermicelli.
wbTuvXSh.jpg

Dipped the rice paper in warm water for about 4 seconds
k2axL5sh.jpg

Added the meats
DLByelph.jpg

Then the veggies, herbs, and rice vermicelli
iSY2TuMh.jpg

Wrapped
PyZjYiKh.jpg

Ate it with fish and peanut dipping sauces
Dq9xnOEh.jpg

It was so good I ended making two more and ate 3 total.
jbwcb7hh.jpg

Even after eating three big spring rolls, I felt light and not heavy or greasy at all. It's what I love about Vietnamese food. So healthy, fresh, and fragrant with all the different flavors exploding in your mouth.

Had some kiwi and rambutan for dessert.
Lat5vQNh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Outstanding!
I'm a fan of rambutan too. lol

Thanks for posting!

Edited to add...
Could you share your sauce recipes please? If you have the time..
Thanks!

• Thanks
Reactions: ulc
Couldn’t agree more. Vietnamese is very healthy, so fresh... those look great!

• Thanks
Wow is that fantastic! Truly envious, I always screw up the spring roll wrapper! Nice way to use the cheeks up! I bet they were awesome!

Thanks,
Greg

• Thanks
Those look fantastic! I had some spring rolls this weekend with a slice of brisket and shrimp that were great, I can't even imagine how good yours were with the cheek and short rib in it! I'll take 5 of those please!!

• Thanks
Outstanding!
I'm a fan of rambutan too. lol

Thanks for posting!

Edited to add...
Could you share your sauce recipes please? If you have the time..
Thanks!

Thank you jeanie! My wife likes rambutan so we buy a box when we visit the Asian mart.

As for the sauce recipes, I will be happy to share but please note this was our first time making spring roll and the sauces. So it's no way authentic and not traditional Vietnamese fish or peanut sauce. We're Korean so we just kind of made our own. My wife and I liked the sauces but my daughter didn't like the peanut sauce. She said the mustard taste was too strong.

Fish sauce

5 Tb water
5 Tb fish sauce (we used Three Crabs fish sauce)
1 1/2 Tb honey
1/2 Tb sugar
2 Tb vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tb lemon juice
Slices of chili pepper

Peanut sauce

3 Tb peanut butter
2 Tb mayonnaise
1 Tb Korean hot mustard paste
1 tsp soy sauce
Couple squirts of Sriracha hot sauce.

Now we experimented with our own, we're going to try following this recipe I found. It's by Vietnamese guy so I'm sure it's more authentic than what we made.

Here's link to his fish sauce.
https://www.hungryhuy.com/vietnamese-dipping-fish-sauce-recipe-nuoc-cham-nuoc-mam-cham/

And his peanut sauce.
https://www.hungryhuy.com/how-to-make-goi-cuon-vietnamese-spring-rolls/

Thank you jeanie! My wife likes rambutan so we buy a box when we visit the Asian mart.

As for the sauce recipes, I will be happy to share but please note this was our first time making spring roll and the sauces. So it's no way authentic and not traditional Vietnamese fish or peanut sauce. We're Korean so we just kind of made our own. My wife and I liked the sauces but my daughter didn't like the peanut sauce. She said the mustard taste was too strong.

Fish sauce

5 Tb water
5 Tb fish sauce (we used Three Crabs fish sauce)
1 1/2 Tb honey
1/2 Tb sugar
2 Tb vinegar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tb lemon juice
Slices of chili pepper

Peanut sauce

3 Tb peanut butter
2 Tb mayonnaise
1 Tb Korean hot mustard paste
1 tsp soy sauce
Couple squirts of Sriracha hot sauce.

Now we experimented with our own, we're going to try following this recipe I found. It's by Vietnamese guy so I'm sure it's more authentic than what we made.

Here's link to his fish sauce.
https://www.hungryhuy.com/vietnamese-dipping-fish-sauce-recipe-nuoc-cham-nuoc-mam-cham/

And his peanut sauce.
https://www.hungryhuy.com/how-to-make-goi-cuon-vietnamese-spring-rolls/

Thank you SO much... I appreciate you taking the time!!
They look and sound delicious. Can't wait to give them a try! :grin:

I frequent the local Vietnamese restaurant often for Pho and spring rolls. It will be nice to be able to make my own! lol

• Thanks
Thank you SO much... I appreciate you taking the time!!
They look and sound delicious. Can't wait to give them a try! :grin:

I frequent the local Vietnamese restaurant often for Pho and spring rolls. It will be nice to be able to make my own! lol

You're welcome! We used to drive like an hour to our favorite Vietnamese restaurant to eat Pho and spring rolls. But we frequently make and eat galbi-tang (Korean short rib soup) and seolleongtang (Korean ox bone soup) at home. So we knew we could make pho at home if we tried. After couple trial and errors, we replicated the taste of pho from our favorite restaurant. It's great because I always wanted to eat pho for breakfast but the restaurants didn't open until 11 am. But now I can have my breakfast pho in the comfort of our own home! The hot beef broth and noodles are so warming and soothing in the morning. Makes for perfect breakfast.

I had this bowl of pho the past Saturday for breakfast. I didn't have any fresh Thai basil or culantro on hand but the pho was great with just bean sprouts and cilantro. :)

SnTds64h.jpg

But now I'm hooked on pork banh mi sandwich so I drive to another Vietnamese restaurant to eat their banh mi sandwich. They bake their own bread and it's fabulous so I'm not going to try to emulate that.

Everyone, thanks for the kind words! We had lot of leftover veggies and herbs so we made spring rolls again today. We made our fish sauce again but instead used fresh lime instead of bottled lemon juice and that changed the taste again. It made it more citrusy which we also liked. And we made bulgogi beef for sweet and salty and gochujang chicken which added nice heat to the spring rolls. We're going to add spring rolls to our permanent dinner rotation and keep experimenting with different ingredients and sauces. It's not hard to prep, fun to eat, and pretty healthy with all the veggies.

qA9DVDTh.jpg

Your pho looks fantastic and I bet the broth is delicious! :grin:

Thanks so much for posting ulc! You're inspiring me to try making broth. lol

I've been using an instant pho broth, out of desperation. I've been growing my own sprouts in a container in one of the kitchen cupboards. lol

Looks outstanding!!

• Thanks
Green with envy, man. That looks absolutely delicious, and I wish we had access to half of what's available to you folks in the A-T-L.

Those spring rolls are a true work of art!

• Thanks
My friend,you went above and beyond to salvage some "scraps".I salute you.The end result looks SPECTACULAR!!! :thumb:

• Thanks
That looks great! I have made fresh rolls many times but not with that much meat. Way more veggies. I am seeing a new recipe forming in my head now...

• Thanks
ulc - Man, that all looks fan-farking-tastic! I love asian food, and have had the good fortune of traveling over there quite a bit. I had forgotten about pho for breakfast, lol! I've stayed in many a hotel that served it on the breakfast buffet. Killer cooking! I'd love to see a post about your bulgogi, that is one of my favorites

Cheers,
Ed

• Thanks
Back