MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #31
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Great looking charceturie! Any of you know a way to make prosciutto that doesn't take a year+ to dry?
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #32
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

I've had my curing chamber built for 4-5 months now and never seemed to actually get anything inside it.

I've been helping out the Woodlands Pork and The Curehouse with their amazing products so I've not had as much motivation to work on my own personal projects.

Back bacon (Lomo and Lardo)

I wanted a spreadable cured sausage so we ran a chunk of smoked back bacon through a buffalo chopper with some chipotles, garlic, and whatever else we had laying around.

Two year old Woodland Pork mountain hams.

Cutting up some ham, smoked coppa, and back bacon.

Getting ready for a Christmas party

Christmas party

Party back in the fall. I had some mortadella and old fashion bologna for this plate.

Lastly here in town we have the Bourbon Classic coming up tomorrow and saturday. A few weekends ago we had a ham tasting with bourbon and 5 regional hams to decide on the pairing for the event.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #33
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
I've had my curing chamber built for 4-5 months now and never seemed to actually get anything inside it.

I've been helping out the Woodlands Pork and The Curehouse with their amazing products so I've not had as much motivation to work on my own personal projects.

Back bacon (Lomo and Lardo)

I wanted a spreadable cured sausage so we ran a chunk of smoked back bacon through a buffalo chopper with some chipotles, garlic, and whatever else we had laying around.

Two year old Woodland Pork mountain hams.

Cutting up some ham, smoked coppa, and back bacon.

Getting ready for a Christmas party

Christmas party

Party back in the fall. I had some mortadella and old fashion bologna for this plate.

Lastly here in town we have the Bourbon Classic coming up tomorrow and saturday. A few weekends ago we had a ham tasting with bourbon and 5 regional hams to decide on the pairing for the event.
Good lawd you win!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #34
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeM1x View Post
Good lawd you win!
I can't take much of the credit honestly. It's not my personal stuff. I'm just lucky enough to help out, learn a ton, and eat very very well. :)

Old 02-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #35
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

That back bacon looks beautiful. Never seen that before or what to even get from the butcher for it! Need to look up how to do that.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #36
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeM1x View Post
That back bacon looks beautiful. Never seen that before or what to even get from the butcher for it! Need to look up how to do that.
It's just the loin and a big chunk of back fat. The hogs are a cross between a eurasian wild boar and a farmers hybrid so they have lots of fat and a very small loin. They were bred for making hams/charcuterie.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #37
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Duck Breast

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #38
BurntOffering
On the road to being a farker

This thread is dangerous! How will I explain to the wife why I am converting the refrigerator into a curing chamber.

Home made brick and electric smokers. Yellow Thermopen. Drawer full of BBQ impulse buys.:crazy:

Snarky Curmudgeon
BurntOffering is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #39
Beef
Full Fledged Farker

I recently re-purposed a 30 inch tall wine refrigerator. I added a dish of rock-salt with some water in it to stabilize the humidity to about 70%.

I also threw in a small computer fan to keep the air moving.

It is that easy; just add 6-8 weeks and Viola.
Imperial Kamado #3
Numerous Weber Kettles, daisies and one touches
Seville Cart by Woodard for my pre-79 Kettle
Indoors cooking hearth with crane
Large heavy duty open grill for dutch ovens, etc.
Beef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #40
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy
Default Sold

I am getting a book to start studying up to get my charcuterie degree. Any recommended books?
jermoQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #41
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
I am getting a book to start studying up to get my charcuterie degree. Any recommended books?
Salumi and Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman are a good starting point for some basic knowledge. I get most of my info online. There is a great blog called Cured meats as well as some good facebook groups.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #42
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 View Post
Salumi and Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman are a good starting point for some basic knowledge. I get most of my info online. There is a great blog called Cured meats as well as some good facebook groups.
Two very good resources indeed. I would look into joining the Facebook group "The Salt Cured Pig."

Old 02-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #43
tomj
Found some matches.

Beautiful photos! I have a lardo that is five months into a six month cure. I'll be sure to post photos when she's ready.
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #44
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

You guys using any special pork or just non solution? The pork I picked up the other day for coppa was 10$ and for the loin it was 15$ a pound. Curious what you guys are paying?

Old 02-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #45
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I haven't really been seeking out heritage breeds yet, as I feel like I'm really still in the early stages of trial and error. I usually get most of my pork from Grant Park Packing in Chicago. It's about as fresh as you can get without butchering the hog yourself. They process hundreds of pigs a day and mainly supply restaurants and so on but open to the public on Saturdays. Their prices are very low. 1.89/lb for pork belly, same for loins. Shoulders are 1.29/lb and hams are 1.19 with skin on (no feet). Thinking about asking them if they'd cut me a full leg

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Silver]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.