Margarita as brine ingredient and also cooking motivation

oldgfbbq

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Here is my margarita recipe that may be consumed or used as an ingredient in my On the Beach wing brine. Don't waste your good tequila in a margarita, use the cheap stuff and sip the good stuff.

It is a good pre-made margarita for a crowd. The light margarita mix allows the harshness of cheap tequila to shine through. Many confuse the harshness of the tequila as a strong drink. It is actually no stronger the glass of wine.

We brought our favorite margarita mix from San Antonio to Western Mass, but eventually ran out. This is what I came up with, using cheap tequila during recipe development. Turns out, using good tequila messes it up. If you must use good tequila, use less sugar.

As we have gotten older, we have been using 3/4 cup rather than 1 cup of sugar.

Citric Acid solution may be purchased from 1-800-shaved-ice (info on the bottle) or may be made by using citric acid granules and water.

Attachments

• Marg-Recipe-2.jpg
    Marg-Recipe-2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Those wings look good! I will try that margarita recipe for drinking purposes. I will have to pass on using the mix as a chicken wing brine until the wing prices drop to a reasonable price. The local Hy-Vee store does have them on sale right now. They dropped the price 50 cents a pound. They are now $4.99 per pound!

What a bargain!

Those wings look good! I will try that margarita recipe for drinking purposes. I will have to pass on using the mix as a chicken wing brine until the wing prices drop to a reasonable price. The local Hy-Vee store does have them on sale right now. They dropped the price 50 cents a pound. They are now $4.99 per pound!

What a bargain!

Prices are insane, thus the small number of wings for demonstration, not to mention how small they were.

Wings and margaritas....life is good! Looks great G-man.

I don't mind the small wings, it's the large price of wings I don't like.......

Next time I cook wings, I will weigh the wings after trimming and before marinating. I will then weigh the bones after eating the wings to get some idea of how much meat is actually on those things. I bet it is not the yield of meat produced by leg/thigh quarters or whole chickens after cooking, skinning and boning. A ten pound bag of quarters yields somewhere between 30-33% of cleaned meat. Whole chickens run a little higher on the yield. I will save the skin and bones for making stock. I don't waste a clucking thing off that yardbird.

With the price of $5.49 a pound for wings at Hy-Vee, I can go buy a whole chicken from Aldi for that same price.

I don't mind the small wings, it's the large price of wings I don't like.......

Next time I cook wings, I will weigh the wings after trimming and before marinating. I will .... I don't waste a clucking thing off that yardbird.

With the price of $5.49 a pound for wings at Hy-Vee, I can go buy a whole chicken from Aldi for that same price.

My guess would be wing skin and bones account for about 50% of total weight.

The margarita goes with a lot of foods, and even al a carte' :-D

I'd hit that hard, G-man and thanks for the recipe... I've added it to the ever growing list of ones to try.

Back