MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 04-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #16
grizzly0925
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisket_Bliss View Post
Hi All,

We're looking to startup a smokehouse in Edmonton, Alberta and was hoping to get some advice from the group on the following,

1. Smoker - we're still split on whether to use an offset smoker (250 or 500 gallon) or go down the pellet/electric path, is there a significant enough difference in taste/quality to justify the additional labor/cost?

2. Food truck vs Restaurant - the second debate is whether to start off the venture using a food truck/trailer and then later on grow it into a restaurant, or just start off with a restaurant right off the bat?

3. Starting quantity - The initial meat quantities per day that we have in mind are the following,

10 Brisket (approx 50 lbs of final product)
20 Beef Racks
10 Chickens

Does this sound reasonable?

4. Firewood - We've heard that firewood may be an issue in Alberta, we've found a few suppliers but wanted to see what everyone's experience has been with this?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Plain and simple your not ready for the jump. Shoot I am not even ready for the jump. If you don't even know what style of cooking you want to do I am assuming you haven't perfected any recipes yet? You aren't aware of the taste difference in electric vs wood offset, you need to do some more homework. 3) if your hoping to yield 50lbs of cooked brisket off of 10 briskets they are going to be massive but after trimming your still probably not looking at 50lbs of cooked meat.

You could go charcoal and wood chunks for your smoker something like a humphreys or assassin this would still give you more flavor than a typical electric or pellet smoker.

2. Food truck vs Restaurant - the second debate is whether to start off the venture using a food truck/trailer and then later on grow it into a restaurant, or just start off with a restaurant right off the bat? My opinion start small. focus on your niche and finding which of your product people like then grow from there. Throwing test kitchen ideas at the masses makes for inconsistent quality and not making it common for return customers.

Brick in mortar of what is going on in the world right now is not the best idea to start. Vending is more feasible because you can do pop-ups and catering with out wearing about the rent of a brick and mortar restaurant, and you don't have to worry about paying employees.

Sorry I rambled alot this is by no means to discourage you its just trying to get you to reevaluate your business plan for your start up. The less you invest in start up the more profit you can put into your business without paying off debt of loans.
grizzly0925 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2021, 05:12 AM   #17
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Just getting back to this after a little while. So sad to learn that Smooth Boar BBQ is closing up shop. Yeah... it's a lot of work and passion does not pay the bills. Passion does not overcome the regulations.

To the OP, you have had the best advice you could ever get. Your venture here into the BBQ Brethren may have saved you from financial and personal ruin should you choose to heed the advice. Because you asked, you hopefully will follow that advice. So many people do not get that advice and lose everything. Right now there are so many people in insecure circumstances because of the events of the time and it's a natural thing to turn to food and feeding people because it seems easy on the surface of things.

It isn't easy. Being on the BBQ Brethren for over 10 years showed me that and this was a reason I never went down that path and stayed a backyarder and have asked lots of people for that $50,000 advance!

If you think you can do it afterall, good luck.

But.

Get your concept done.
Get your recipes tested and set in stone. Make them repeatable by idiots. Get your processes and training bullet proof with proper procedures.

Learn from experts. Learn to do the books. Learn to be a boss, not a good guy BBQ fella.... For example, watch every episode ever of Restaurant Impossible and identify with every failed owner you see. What about them might apply to YOU?

There's only ONE Aaron Franklin, and if you think he's just an easy going guy... look harder. What does it take to be that guy. It isn't a smile and and handshake. That comes after the hard work.

Good Luck.

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-06-2021, 07:28 AM   #18
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

I worked in restaurants in High School. Taught me the one thing I didn't want to do with my life is work in restaurants.

Tags
advice, bbq, brisket, Food Truck, offset smoker, pellet smoker, ribs, Startup