It's Tuna Season- Time To Smoke Some Up

captjoe06

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
One of my fishermen was kind enough to donate some tuna to the cause. -A simple soy/sesame/red pepper flake marinade overnight and now they are placed on the grates to dry for an hour or two.
27955957465_1f8e98567e_c.jpg

x

27854414722_afe42c4743_c.jpg

7:00AM
Light eight briquettes in the chimney and set up the charcoal basket in the smoker using the snake method with cherry chips and mesquite chunks. The charcoal will slowly work its way around not having the entire basket of charcoal going at once will help keep the temps down. We are looking to smoke around 250 degrees.
27343836733_c5c827c39b_c.jpg

The tuna is placed with small gaps in between so the smoke can come on up through hitting each piece of tuna. The Maverick 732 grate probe is placed and another probe for the internal temp of the tuna. We will look to bring the internal temp on the tuna to about 135 F.
27343836983_e5dfa19bca_c.jpg

Nothing better than fresh tuna. This looks awesome. I'm sure you also steam some and make tuna salad? Beats the crap out of the canned stuff......

That looks so awesome! Never tried smoked tuna, but I net and smoke mullet whenever I can.

dude, that looks AMAZING! always trying to find some non red meat to smoke....and i LOVE smoked fish.

i've never smoked tuna, but i'm ON IT

Oh lord that looks amazing... don't know if I should thank you or curse you for posting that. Fresh tuna like that here goes north of ... well lets just say we don't get fresh tuna like that here.

Back