MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
qposner
Full Fledged Farker

Default Austin, TX restaurant recommendations?

My kids (15 and 11) are visiting Austin with their mom this weekend and they want a great BBQ restaurant. I said Franklin’s just out of knowing it, but it’s closed until the 5th. My kids would love any other suggestions. Thanks!
qposner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2021, 09:52 PM   #2
Burn
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jimmy

Blacks. La Barbecue. Ley Roy and Lewis’s. The switch. Valentines. So many good ones. My house. Lol
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-29-2021, 10:35 PM   #3
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn View Post
Blacks. La Barbecue. Ley Roy and Lewis’s. The switch. Valentines. So many good ones. My house. Lol
Yep

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:38 PM   #4
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

Just camp out at the front of the Franklins line. What's 5 days, other than a killer story?
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

For that age range Valentina's! Excellent bbq along with bbq tacos and queso. Brotherton's Black Iron has traditional bbq with amazing sandwiches such as a brisket cheesesteak and brisket grilled cheese.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

And .... forget ..... The Salt Lick ..... a place with a lot of history but not that great ... for my palate. Maybe at one time it was great ... dunno
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #7
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Stiles switch

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #8
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Lits of good suggestions above. You could argue Lockhart and surrounding towns have better Q.

For a fun experience and good but not great food go to the Oasis. It’s a TexMex place the overlooks Lake Travis. Great sunset, beers and nachos. Do you need more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #9
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I've been to a few places in Austin and so far the only good BBQ I've found is Leroy and Lewis. They have their food truck at a fantastic outdoor area with some other food trucks, and without a doubt their food is the best in that area. I got a sampler and everything (with a single exception) was amazing! The Cauliflower Burnt Ends were an interesting concept but I didn't like them at all. The brisket was exactly what I would expect from Texas BBQ. The Barbacoa (beef cheeks) was tender and juicy, and their pulled pork was the best restaurant pulled pork I've ever had (outside of my own, of course).

Blacks wasn't very good at all...brisket was cold and dry before we even sat down. Their sides were straight food service gunk ; same stuff you'd see in a buffet style restaurant like Golden Corral or Sizzler.

I tried a few places in Killeen (about an hour away from Austin) and they aren't even worth naming / shaming.

Good luck with your trip and I hope you find some great BBQ.