MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
Hawgsnheifers
Take a breath!

Default Sliced or Chopped Brisket for Competition

I've been talking to some competitors and judges and I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with sliced or chopped brisket for my first competition next weekend at Smoke in the spring? After hearing about how the judges judge brisket, wouldn't it be better to do chopped because it can be sliced much thinner, which would make it harder to test for over doneness? I asked one recently trained KCBS judge about chopped and he said that he would have given me a 9 based on the picture of the chopped brisket I posted last weekend from a small catering gig I did. The 9 would be on appearence only, so obviously no one knows where the taste would score, but based on what the lady and her guests said about it, it would probably be in the 7 or 8's.

So the questions is sliced or chopped? What will get a better score?

18.5 WSM with BBQ Guru Competition MOD
Bandera with Spicewine Firebox MOD (Lives at Chiefs now)
Silver Smoker with "leak like a Sive" MOD
Brinkman Gourmet with "Critter Infestation" MOD
Jenn-Air 4 Burner Gas Passer with "Lazy" MOD

"Life is hard. It's harder when your stupid."
Hawgsnheifers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Todd, the comment I heard at the CBJ class I was in was that if someone turns in chopped brisket, the ASSUMPTION would be that they're trying to compensate for overcooked brisket. Fair assumption or not, I personally consider it dangerous to try it. If you're worried about overcooking your brisket, cook two... or three... and turn in your best sliced product. Just my opinion mind you.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 AM   #3
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Go for the sliced, add some burnt ends if you have to boot for extras;
Or just keep it simple to start.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Some historical reading on this subject
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...hopped+brisket

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...hopped+brisket

Things may have changed, but....?

I think properly prepared slices are going to serve a team best.
Without slices, well......good luck.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2007, 07:40 AM   #5
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

We recently started doing slices with some chopped at the end. This is a pic from last years Royal. I thought the brisket went to long, but it scored ok. I can't see myself turning in a box with nothing but burnt ends. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal06-Brisket (Small).JPG (75.1 KB, 165 views)
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Todd, I've thought about the same thing, but then realized that as a CBJ, I would think that someone overcooked the brisket ans was cpmpensating for it. I do like chopped brisket though.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

As a cook, I am planning on turning in slices with some chopped in a corner because judges might not be use to seeing Chopped/Pulled brisket. As everyone knows, people are afraid of what they do not know.

As a judge, appearance could get a good score. An expierenced judge should be able to taste and tell the difference between overcooked and cooked spot on.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

If you are not going to turn in sliced brisket I would expect the scores being down because of the way judges are trained. That being said as a judge trainer I feel that is one a weakness of the class and have talked with Ed Roith about the matter. If sliced, chopped and pulled brisket is a legal turn-in then why would we teach that a chopped and pulled turn-in is inferior.

Right now the way things are done I wouldn't omit sliced brisket from the turn-in but that could change as the training is refined in the future.

Jim
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
Hawgsnheifers
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyboy View Post
As a cook, I am planning on turning in slices with some chopped in a corner because judges might not be use to seeing Chopped/Pulled brisket. As everyone knows, people are afraid of what they do not know.

As a judge, appearance could get a good score. An expierenced judge should be able to taste and tell the difference between overcooked and cooked spot on.
Ya, your all probably right. I guess being a novice competitor I should not be looking for shortcuts but instead be looking for way's to perfect the standard, and in this case it's sliced not chopped. I do have to admit that the sliced brisket presentation, like the picure above, to me, is a lot more appealing than chopped. Guess I better get that 25 year old electric knife out and make sure it's sharp and still works.

Thanks for advise Brothers...

18.5 WSM with BBQ Guru Competition MOD
Bandera with Spicewine Firebox MOD (Lives at Chiefs now)
Silver Smoker with "leak like a Sive" MOD
Brinkman Gourmet with "Critter Infestation" MOD
Jenn-Air 4 Burner Gas Passer with "Lazy" MOD

"Life is hard. It's harder when your stupid."
Hawgsnheifers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion View Post
If you are not going to turn in sliced brisket I would expect the scores being down because of the way judges are trained. That being said as a judge trainer I feel that is one a weakness of the class and have talked with Ed Roith about the matter. If sliced, chopped and pulled brisket is a legal turn-in then why would we teach that a chopped and pulled turn-in is inferior.

Right now the way things are done I wouldn't omit sliced brisket from the turn-in but that could change as the training is refined in the future.

Jim

This and many other reasons, is why I voted for you for BOD!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote