MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
desertguy76
Got Wood.

If I was to go with a temp control system is one recommended over another? I searched out some old threads but they seem to be a couple years old.
desertguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

There's also a pellet grill called rec tec you could check out. They have a Web site and there's some reviews of the product on YouTube.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #18
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertguy76 View Post
I currently have a UDS that I have been using for about a year. It makes great food but I really want something with more space and something I can do overnight cooks with to have around as well. I have been looking at the Yoder YS 640 and probably would have pulled the trigger by now but the local dealer did not have in stock. But the longer I wait the more I second guess myself. It is going to cost be about 1700.00 and I want to make sure it is the right grill.. I have never had a pellet smoker but I really like the idea of being able to set it and forget it and to also be able to grill on it. Another option I was considering was going 22" WSM with a temp control system which I know is cheaper. I know they are two totally different cookers but I was hoping I could get a little bit of wisdom from the brethren before pulling the trigger. Thanks
I have a 22 WSM and a pellet smoker, FEC120. Both put out great food, but I find that since I got the pellet smoker I am smoking a LOT more, at least 3 times as frequently. And I use the smoker for a lot of things I wouldn't bother lighting the wsm for, like different side dishes, sausages, chicken, etc. I also am more eager to do big meats as well.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
If I was to go with a temp control system is one recommended over another? I searched out some old threads but they seem to be a couple years old.
It seems like preference, the stoker has wifi connection option, they both do the same thing but the stoker will have more features. The gurus are cheaper also.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #20
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

I know I may be in the minority, but I actually am not a fan of pellet smokers.

I think the food that they produce lacks smoke flavor (I DO tend to like a lot though), and I don't think they're all as rock-solid steady as they pretend to be. I cooked a contest with a FEC100 and a larger version and had a few probes inside each in addition to the built in. Both yo-yo'd constantly as much as 70 degrees over the course of a contest.

SO, high price? Yo-Yoing temperature? Weak flavor? No thanks. I'd rather buy a half dozen WSM's with fan systems.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #21
desertguy76
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
I have a 22 WSM and a pellet smoker, FEC120. Both put out great food, but I find that since I got the pellet smoker I am smoking a LOT more, at least 3 times as frequently. And I use the smoker for a lot of things I wouldn't bother lighting the wsm for, like different side dishes, sausages, chicken, etc. I also am more eager to do big meats as well.

This was pretty much my thoughts exactly.. I have my wife convinced we would use it more and that she would even be able to monitor a cook while I am at work if need be with the Yoder. I Love my UDS and was not thinking about replacing just adding something else to my arsenal. But either way need something I can more set and forget with a 4 and 8 year old running around.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:36 PM   #22
desertguy76
Got Wood.

But everytime I get closer to pulling the trigger on the Yoder I chicken out because they are not cheap. I am my own worst enemy sometimes.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #23
utahusker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
It seems like preference, the stoker has wifi connection option, they both do the same thing but the stoker will have more features. The gurus are cheaper also.
The BBQ Guru CyberQ is wireless also.
utahusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #24
utahusker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
But everytime I get closer to pulling the trigger on the Yoder I chicken out because they are not cheap. I am my own worst enemy sometimes.
I was going through the same quandary as you. I decided on a 22 WSM, and also bought a CyberQ. I'm very happy with my decision.

You really don't need a controller since the WSM is really stable, but it's nice to put on a butt before work and have it ready when I get home. I can monitor the cook and adjust the cooker temp on my phone when I'm away.

The cons are the start up time and clean up.
utahusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #25
jcog44
Knows what a fatty is.

I gave up on pellet grills being set and forget, being able to leave unattended , etc, when i discovered rare, but possible, auger jams, and auger tube fires. Rare, but knowing my luck...

Old 03-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #26
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm a little surprised that I hear very little about the Big Green Eggs. They are fuel misers and cook all night long without a bit of babysitting. I use a Guru with my X-Large and have done 20 hour cooks with no problem. I put a Maverick E72 next to my bedside and open one eye a couple times through the night to check on it just for peace of mind. It also does a very good job with direct grilling which is what I prefer for chicken. It is more versatile than any other of these cookers which makes it great for a second unit. All that being said, I also own (2) Backwoods Smokers and (3) Meadow Creeks and really like them as we'll but for what you are saying you NEED, you can't go wrong with the BGE IMHO....
Trailer Trash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #27
Terry Hesticles
Knows what a fatty is.

I was going to mention a DigiQ or other electronic temp control, but others have beat me to it. I will also ask, did you build a single-rack UDS using the guidelines here? If so, then you have room to add another rack which will double your cooking space to over 700 sq inches.

The only thing with this is that you would need to obtain a Weber dome lid with, I believe, a ~22.5" opening. These can be found at garage sales, Goodwill, etc. A weber lid, new 22" Weber grate, and a BBQ Guru are MUCH less than a new Yoder.

With 20 lbs of fuel, I can go well over 16 hours in my UDS (I'll usually burn the remainder a few days later for chicken, and even then there's fuel left, though for longer smokes I sometimes need to wiggle my UDS a bit to shake some ash down through the coals so they can breathe. Other than that, it's well-seasoned and holds temps like a champ.
Terry Hesticles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #28
agilbert
Found some matches.

Trailer Trash makes a great point. The egg is a very versatile cooker and holds up very well in just about any condition you can think of. Hot and fast, low and slow if you manage the fire right it can put out great food and needs little attention. I also have a cabinet style smoker (Backwoods) which is great as well. The biggest benefit of the BWS compared to the egg is that you can smOke much more food and have greater capacity and I find it easier to move / transport. The eggs can be a pain to move around but if you plan on cooking primarily at home and like more of a set and forget option the ceramics are hard to beat, especially when you add a guru or stoker.
agilbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #29
desertguy76
Got Wood.

Thanks everybody for the advise and help.. I am not any closer to making my decision unfortunately

Old 03-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #30
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Humphreys Battle Box with Guru.