Turn the other cheek

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Slow smoked beef cheeks and beef ribs using the pellet cooker. Seasoned with Williams Steak. 8 hours in low smoke and let sit about 20 minutes. Placed into pan with peanut oil, onion and garlic. Sealed tight and into the oven overnight tonight at 190*

Last edited:
baby-dancing.gif

Natural drippings plus about 3/4 bottle of peanut oil. Just an MSU version of confit. If you watch Chuds BBQ on beef Cheeks it gives great details in about 12 minutes. My mom would do something similar with hens. She’d boil a fat yellow hen in seasoned water. Allow it to cool somewhat, debone and drop the meat back into the fat and place in fridge. For a few days the pot would self seal with yellow fat. Hen and home made noodles, chicken spaghetti, chicken soup, chicken and dumplings, yellow chicken gravy over Burnt bottom biscuits. Chicken & Navy Beans (good times)
Mom was feeding a family of six and really knew how to stretch a hen.

Here’s the Wikipedia on confit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confit

As for the Pit Boss Austin XL for 250$ I’m really pleased. The display is kind Of wonky pretty much right out of the box, but I’m a Thermapen guy so digital displays and factory Thermometer don’t bother me much. I don’t use plug probes but I have a couple Bluetooth Thermometers that at times Ill insert the last hour or two of a cook. I see a lot of people suffering frustration with their pellet cookers trying to make them something they’re not. Reading the instruction booklet, watching YouTube videos, monitoring the PitBoss forum (I read don’t write just a lurker). My Bride enjoys the OK Joe Bronco and the Austin XL. Nice materials but light enough with hinged lids where she can add to and plenty of room for her to negotiate a skillet or a side.

Last edited:
Bonus: when you cook this way there is zero trimming of the gnarly beef cheek skin. Just open, season and smoke. What skin doesn’t renders pulls right off after long oil bath. Another observation I prefer these over direct fire. The drum without a deflection plate. Just enough grilled flavor to match with smoked , it just hits me right.

Im not 100% happy, but I’ll be the only one that notices. Wife declared it good. About a good Blessing that can be expected. As we’ve discussed I seldom due the same thing twice. I’ve even started putting a tied cherry stem in my mouth and untying it. Anyone can tie it.

Back