MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #1
Doc6633
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Pulled pork butt cook time

I am sure this is in the forum a million times but for some reason the search function on here doesn't seem to work for me.

I am getting ready to try my second cook on my new Humphreys cabinet smoker and am thinking about pulled pork butt probably a five to eight pound one.

Two questions:

1.). I have generally seen 2 hours per pound and cook to 205 degrees. I was wanting to get you guys thoughts and experiences on temp and time.

2.) I have been debating getting the BBQ guru and a longer smoke like this seems like it would be useful but I have had others tell me with a cabinet smoker no reason to get one. You guys thoughts?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

With my Humphreys running at 240 - 250, I can count on the pork butt taking about 1.5 hours per pound. If you have an eight pound butt then it will require 12 hours to finish depending on how well you maintain temperature and other variables such as wind, rain, outdoor temperature, etc.

But the meat isn't done by time or temperature, but the best test for being done is when the bone wiggles like a loose tooth.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

205 is way too low. Butts will frequently need to go to 205 to be probe tender, and if your pit temp is only 205 you'll never get the meat to 205 internal(if that is needed).

I cook at 260-270 and butts typically take about 75 minutes per pound to get to probe tender.

A Guru will give you some peace of mind, but will also give you better fuel efficiency.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
landarc

You got the timing answer already. You can't cook a butt using internal temp as a determinant. Somewhere around 200-220F, you'll be done. Bone wiggle is the best test.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #5
Doc6633
Knows what a fatty is.

Sorry Ron I wasn't very clear I was thinking meat emp up to 205 while cooking at around 230 degrees.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
Fwismoker

Longer cook times are no benefit, and it can be argued that shorter cooks produce better butts.

My butts take 5 hours for big ones and they are fantastic good, now I wouldn't expect from a cabinet smoker but definitely no need for all day cooks.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #7
Doc6633
Knows what a fatty is.

FW - what temp are you cooking at?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
ShepBBQ
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hey Bud! I'm Brand new to the forum from Warrensburg MO. Some quick tips on temps for smoking a Pork Butt! Keep internal smoker temp at a constant 240-260 Degrees. Don't let go above 270. Smoke 4 hours then wrap tightly with foil and continue to cook on smoker until internal meat temp registers 205 Degrees. This should do it for you. Let me know how it turns out! 205 is way too low..... SHEP
ShepBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #9
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc6633 View Post
fw - what temp are you cooking at?
400-450

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #10
Doc6633
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks Shep sorry I wasn't clear I was planning on cooking at around 230 or so but after reading everyone's thoughts seems I may need to cook a little warmer.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:41 PM   #11
IamMadMan

You'll see a lot of temperature recommendations here, but consider your smoker. Some of the recommendations were made on how our smokers operate at their best.

Every smoker has a sweet spot where it performs at it's best and efficiently produces a constant and consistent source of heat. Only you know your smoker and how it performs.

As far as the Guru, I felt I didn't need one, but was given one as a gift. Now I use it all the time with my Humphrey's Down East Beast. I now can take naps during the day and sleep soundly on long overnight cooks without worry.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #12
krex1010
is One Chatty Farker

Like the madman said, every smoker has a temp that's easier to maintain, So cooking around that temp makes sense as long as it's a reasonable time. I generally cook butts between 250-325 depending on what time I start and what time I hope to have it done, I myself prefer no foil, cook it until it's tender and the bone wants to pull out with very little resistance, the only thing holding the bone in should be where the bark is sticking to it

Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #13
Boston Smoker
On the road to being a farker

I'm actually smoking two 7 pound butts right now on a Humphrey's Down-East Beast. I put them on at 6:30 this morning. I've been averaging about 240 degrees in the smoker, and one butt is at 179 and the other is at 172. I've been using the CyberQ and have been monitoring it from work. I actually knocked the cooking temp down remotely since they were a bit ahead of schedule. I'm guessing they'll be done between 3:00 and 4:00.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #14
Joe Black
Babbling Farker

As usual, Mad Man is right on point. My smoker likes to run at about 260-280* so my butts will take close to 1 hour per # depending on weather and stall time. When the stall sets in, I will wrap with a little apple juice and then carry the butt to around 200-205* and it pulls nicely. Sometimes I like to slice it and will take off at about 190*. Good luck, Joe
Joe Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq guru, pork, pork butt