MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
DoctorCueNC
On the road to being a farker

Default Which way to turn meats?

I recently started cooking on a stretch 36 Lang reverse flow. I know in most regular offset smokers you turn the point of brisket and horn of pork shoulder toward the firebox to help protect the flat and money muscle from higher heat so the cook is more even.

Due to the way the reverse flow works where heat is sent under to one side then up and over and back to exit I've wondered which side would need the protection.

Is it still the firebox side or since the heat comes up and over on the opposite side is that where you need to turn the thick parts of meat? Any advice is appreciated as I have a pork contest in about a month.

Last edited by DoctorCueNC; 06-30-2017 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Better spacing to make reading easier
DoctorCueNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've done it both ways and works good either way. Yes normal convention would say point away from firebox on a reverse flow.

You call also rotate.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #3
The B
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a Lang 60, and I face my point and bone end of the butt away from the fire box. You will have a higher temp on the opposite side of your fire box where the heat come up from underneath the plate.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
homesmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Put pans of cheap canned biscuits, or leg quarters spread out on your cooking grate, while you have it at your preferred cook temperature. You can then observe the cook rates on the various segments of your main cook grate. Or use probes if available to temp out the various zones. Sounds like you have a good grasp of the relationship of meat position to heat. Once you learn it, that rig ought to make some great groceries.
homesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Always turn clockwise.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
McSpazatron
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
Always turn clockwise.
Counter-clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-30-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

My cooker usually runs 20 degrees warmer on the right side closer to firebox. I start fat cap down and place it on far left lower rack for low and slow. I then flip and rotate the meat 2 hours in. After I like what I see , I wrap and flip/rotate to original position about 4 hours in. It's the best brisket I've ever made!

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, firebox, Lang 36 Stretch, offset smoker, pork butt, protect, turn