MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Default Insight into NC BBQ contests (specatator perspective)

I'm moving to NC soon..... decided to check out the contest listings on KCBS site to get more familiar with how many contests are in the state no plans to get back into competing again, just to ID which might be ones I could might be best to take wife/daughter to for something to do one day over a weekend..

was familiar with a few like like Tryon, Lexington etc from the forum posts over the years...Looking to ID which events are larger in size, nice overall atmosphere, more family-friendly (vendors, other events tied in etc...)

Thanks in advance !
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
tigerpaw
Knows what a fatty is.

Check out HogFest in Edenton NC. They have a car show along with a whole hog contest. Judging is by spectators so you may be able to be part of that. They have some kid actitives as well. Look up Hogfest Edenton online for more info.

I don't know of any events you will not have a good time at though.
tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

MOST of the competitions here in NC are fairly large and each has it's own unique perspective. If you like Harley's, then check out Hog Happenin in Lincolnton; family fun is good at Eastern Carolina BBQ ThrowDown in Rocky Mount; Hog Happening in Shelby is large and also has a car show; the contests in the mountains have their special music and fun; and others have their own flavor. ALL of them are GREAT!!!
You should enjoy any of them!

In addition to KCBS contests, there is also an MBN contest in Charlotte; a NCBS contest in Cary; an SBN contest in Spruce Pine; and 20+ NCPC contests all over the state! LOTS of BBQ contest opportunities!!! Each being a festival in their own right!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Garrett
Babbling Farker

+1 for Hog Happening in Shelby. Tryon is also very good to go to as it is large and a lot things for the family to do. Welcome to NC.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Tryon is a great one.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tryon had a pretty big festival with kind of a local town fair atmostphere. With rides and stuff.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
a NCBS contest in Cary;
I would stay away from this one if you are looking for a family atmosphere. Unless your family likes drinking beer and bourbon!

The event is a side event to the Beer, Bourbon, BBQ festival. Costs in the area of $50 per person to get in and you get to drink all of the beer and bourbon you can handle from 12-6. If you want BBQ, you pay. Kids can come but the promoter discourages it since there is absolutely nothing for them to do.

As a competitor, I'm still not sure about this event. Did it last and just seemed like a cluster. I think we will give it another shot this year but if its the same we'll drop it.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome to the quaint little town that isn't any longer.... We lived there for 12-13 yrs.. When we first moved there, it was a nice quiet town where everyone knew everyone, and everyone waved at everyone.... 4 lane roads, the only one was I-77...

Anyway, back to BBQ...

Tilley Harley Davidson in Salisbury has a GREAT event... Right off I-85, can't miss it. We cooked there last year, and it was a blast. September of every year.

Rocky Mount has a GREAT family event also. October of every year.

Kannapolis is having their first one this year. Not sure what all they are going to have, but Kannapolis usually has lots to do for family.

Apex had a SUPER event last year, and looks like another one this year... we cooked it last year (their first one) and had a blast... family time for sure.

Hope this helps some.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

good info... thanks everyone !
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 03-18-2013 at 07:32 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Which part of NC are you relocating to. Some of us may have contacts that can assist?
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Default Re: Insight into NC BBQ contests (specatator perspective)

Hogfest is not KCBS anymore. It's a whole pig contest with the NCPC. Not sure if it will have the car show. Beautiful town though. ...I grew up there. I hear Rocky Mount is a great contest

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
Sauced!
Full Fledged Farker

You cant go wrong with Kings Mountain, Lexington, Tryon and Shelby. Everything else is playing second fiddle.