MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

Default 85 gallon UDS?

Curious to hear if anyone here with a uds or 22 wsm (I have both) feels like they need more room. I like the flavor from the uds/wsm just feel crowded at times. Alternative is a bigger drum possibility 85 gallon but looking for input.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I can do 4 14# briskets on my UDS... I don't feel the need for more space but that's just me. I'm not sure what you would be cooking that you can't bang it out on a UDS plus a 22 WSM- but I guess if you cater, cook for the neighborhood, charity events, 4 or more teen age boys...

Old 09-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Build another 55 gallon drum.

I have two and it works great for large amounts of meat to smoke, Set up one for ribs, another for brisket, etc. or both for ribs, etc.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I had a double decker 22" WSM and I upgraded it with a 110 gallon UDS. That's a 30" diameter grate. I can use the WSM as a heat shield in my drum. No more rotating items. An 85 gallon drum is 26" in diameter so you gain some wiggle room.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

What did you do for grates and is the temperature pretty even across the grate?

Old 09-20-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

I had the boys from Shirley Fabrication create me some racks. I have 6 total but I’ve only ever used two at a time. That’s 1340 square inches for just 2.

I bought the rack holders from Hunsaker Smokers and the top grate will be cooler where the exhaust is located. Just natural with the draw through the smoker.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
NashvilleFireNick
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Nick

What's the sq in on one cooking rack for a standard UDS
NashvilleFireNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #8
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleFireNick View Post
What's the sq in on one cooking rack for a standard UDS

Given the rack is 21.5" = 363 square inches.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:21 AM   #9
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

You have to decide what your requirement is for grate space. 85 gal would be nice. But like mentioned. It uses weber 26" grates.
So some more room, but not all the much more room in the end.
A lot heavier to move/store. Could be the reasons weber doesn't make 26" wsm.
Besides my UDS, I built a horizontal drum with 2- 20X30" grates and a drip pan grate.
Which is only one grate smaller(total cooking space) than my tall vertical cabinet.
To get a bit more room, you are into xlarge cabinet or trailer smoker room.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #10
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

While my upgrade to the 110 gallon smoker gave me a lot more real estate, I found I split the cooks between the drum and the Bandera. This was all before I got my big black cabinet.

The main reason was it became too cumbersome to use it for some ribs or sausage. More prep and clean up wasn’t worth it for a cook less than 4 hours. Also, the drum is 43” tall, then add the 6” casters and it’s a little over 4 feet tall. I’m Asian so it made reaching in to the drum a very dirty job. All things I didn’t think would be a factor into my cooks.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #11
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Build another 55 gallon drum.

I have two and it works great for large amounts of meat to smoke, Set up one for ribs, another for brisket, etc. or both for ribs, etc.
This would be the route I'd go, you'd get an increase in grate space that you can also operate at a different temperature. Unless you were talking about keeping both drums, in which case, you'd get that same benefit from an 85. I believe Hunsaker did or had planned to do 85 gal drums at one point.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #12
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
While my upgrade to the 110 gallon smoker gave me a lot more real estate, I found I split the cooks between the drum and the Bandera. This was all before I got my big black cabinet.
The main reason was it became too cumbersome to use it for some ribs or sausage. More prep and clean up wasn’t worth it for a cook less than 4 hours. Also, the drum is 43” tall, then add the 6” casters and it’s a little over 4 feet tall. I’m Asian so it made reaching in to the drum a very dirty job. All things I didn’t think would be a factor into my cooks.
You might think about turning your 110 into a stubby UDS. After building one for a friend. I turned my 55 UDS into a "stubby". I removed 9" from the top of the drum and put 7.5" legs with casters. Puts the top grate level right at 32", same as a weber.
I still have 2 cooking grates and one drip pan grate. Sooo much easier to move around, just like a weber. Short reach into the drum for the coal basket. No more greasy clothing from having to reach down in.
The only thing it can not do anymore is hang 12+ racks of ribs. But I do those on another smoker now.

2 racks of BB on my hump grate

It still goes 17+ hrs on one bag of coal/wood at 275*

I wouldn't go back to a full drum. I'll build another stubby. And bonus, weber and knock off dome lids fit great after cutting.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I helped Bigmista at a comp once and he did it all on an 85 gallon UDS. I was very impressed with it. He did all 4 meats on it and took 8th in ribs. I turned my UDS into a burn barrel, but next UDS I build will probably be an 85.

I love my 22.5" Weber grill, but the 26 is my go-to for grilling. Sometimes I need a little extra room but don't want to fire up another cooker. What's goofy is now that I have a chitload of smokers and grills, when I do a cook I try to fire up only one cooker, or as few as possible.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #14
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

The appeal of the 85 is again large enough and convenient to build given you can pick up a 26" weber grate and much of the off the shelf parts from hunsaker or uds parts. I bought the stainless smoke stack and floating hinge and thermometer from hunsaker and have a hunsaker vortex in my SS 55 gallon drum which i will use here. I plan to use a single 3" stainless intake similar to the gateway but again 1 larger intake compared to two smaller ones. My only thing now is seeing if I can find a cheaper stainless 85 gallon drum.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/prod...hinge-assembly

Last edited by foam2; 09-21-2018 at 06:37 PM..

Old 09-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #15
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Stainless will make it hard to find. My drum was $208. Shipping? $200 too.