Need some help with a Prime Rib Roast

Rodsboots

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have never cooked one of these but I'm getting the UDS fired up tomorrow, Can anyone give me some tips? :-o

I prefer to cook mine at 275 until it hits 125 - 130 internal and then rest it before slicing. For seasoning I use either a mixture of olive oil, garlic, rosemary and kosher salt, or good old Montreal Steak Seasoning.

I don't know if you picked it up from a butcher or not, but when I've done them in the past, my butcher will kind of "butterfly" the roast off of the bone, but not all the way. Then he'll tie it all back together. This makes for easy carving after the cook, and prevents from having to deal with the bones.

Seasonings, I've mixed up a paste with EVOO, garlic, coriander seed, thyme and other stuff. I believe I used a recipe last year that I found by googling "smoked prime rib". Try "herb crusted smoked PR".

Like Ron said.....usually smoke at 250-275ish until internal reaches about 120-125 then I like to reverse sear it at the end to give the outside that nice "crust"

They've turned out great every time.....3 years in a row now I think....
IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

But, hey.....I'm still relatively new to all this. Thirdeye has some GREAT info on his site. Here's his PR recipe:
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

Good luck!!

I hate you, Wampus!

Well... OK, no I don't :-D But posting that last picture was just mean! Now I want prime rib!

Wampus, that roast is a thing of beauty! I can't wait to try one myself!

Thanks for the Ideas and the Recipe... That PR Looks Fantastic!!! of course I'll be posting Pron in a while!
:-D

Damn fine PR, Wampus!

Here are few PRs I did for wedding back in May. Cannot wait for T-day to fire up a PR for personal consumption.
DSCN0011.jpg

Don't over cook and keep the seasoning simple!!! I agree witht he 275* - 300* cook range and taking it off around 125* - 130* method. I also like to put garlic slivers in the rib roast also.

Yeppers, what everyone else says. I cook at 275-300 and take it to 128 internal. Seems to be my magic temp. Evoo and garlic/herb paste.

Wampus that looks good, but I like a higher temp. Dont care for rare beef

I don't know if you picked it up from a butcher or not, but when I've done them in the past, my butcher will kind of "butterfly" the roast off of the bone, but not all the way. Then he'll tie it all back together. This makes for easy carving after the cook, and prevents from having to deal with the bones.

Seasonings, I've mixed up a paste with EVOO, garlic, coriander seed, thyme and other stuff. I believe I used a recipe last year that I found by googling "smoked prime rib". Try "herb crusted smoked PR".

Like Ron said.....usually smoke at 250-275ish until internal reaches about 120-125 then I like to reverse sear it at the end to give the outside that nice "crust"

They've turned out great every time.....3 years in a row now I think....
IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

But, hey.....I'm still relatively new to all this. Thirdeye has some GREAT info on his site. Here's his PR recipe:
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

Good luck!!

BEAUTIFUL! It don't get much better then that!

Wampus that looks good, but I like a higher temp. Dont care for rare beef

Actually, I meant PULL at about 120-125. You'll still have residual cooking after it's pulled off the heat. I usually like mine at about 130-135 (med rare). Plus, with a reverse sear, cranking up the temps at the end, it'll get a bit of a boost in temp to finish it up too.

Wampus.... that is a wonderful looking roast.... :clap2:

Rodsboots.... A prime rib is actually one of the easiest things you can barbecue. It's naturally tender, it's not a long cook, depending on your likes you are usually taking them into the 125°-135° range, and just enough fat rises to the surface to really wake up your rub. I sometimes add a thin brushing of oil (or a mixture of oil, butter and corn syrup) to give that Malliard reaction a head start.

I cook mine closer to 225° (at the grate) and use a cable thermometer on them, and watch it like a hawk. When I pull them, I give them at least a 10 minute rest before slicing. Using the drum will give you a great flavor.

Bumping this one back up because of the valued info of this thread!!
Actually, I meant PULL at about 120-125. You'll still have residual cooking after it's pulled off the heat. I usually like mine at about 130-135 (med rare). Plus, with a reverse sear, cranking up the temps at the end, it'll get a bit of a boost in temp to finish it up too.

One question. When doing a reverse sear at lets say 450-500*, at what temp should you pull the roast allowing time to get the cooker up in temp? I figure if you want to finish temp of 130* you will probably want to pull the roast lower than 120*. Am I correct with my thinking?

I plan on making a 12.5 CAB bone in standing rib roast for the upcoming holiday and have never made one this big. This will be my second herb crusted PRR on the wsm. Usually I use the clay pot base in the water pan.

In the past I pulled my roast a couple hours in advance from the fridge and seasoned it while it warmed up some before going on the cooker. I have always thought this helped with a more even cook to make sure the pink is consistent throughout the roast.

Any advise here would be great. Thanks for the info in advance. Vince

All great advice. PR is really pretty easy if you don't over cook.
I, too, cook at 250-270; rub with garlic and herb paste - up to 24 hours before cooking;
At 250-270, count on about 20 minutes per pound to get to 125.
I pull at 120ish, and wrap in foil, and let rest in a cooler. I've rested up to two hours without issue.
After removing from the cooler, I save the juices for au jus. While making the au jus, I throw it under the broiler for about 5 minutes to rebuild the crust.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for the info,as it is one of my next cooks.

I've done two and they've turned out absolutely excellent. The prime rib roasts are one of my girlfriend's favorite meals to come off my smoker. I simply put Worcestershire sauce on it, then Montreal steak seasoning, wrap the bad boy in plastic wrap overnight. I take the meat out a few hours before I smoke it to get it to room temp then stick it on and wait. I've actually cooked it at a bit higher temps near 350 and as everyone else has said you need to get that sucker off early. There is a lot of residual heat so it will cook well after you take it off the fire.

LOw 'n slow with a reverse sear is the way to go. I foil mine while I crank up the heat. My UDS has brackets on the fire basket so I can hang it right under the top grate for grilling and searing. Once the drum is open, and the basket is moved to the upper position, it takes 1/2 hour to get a real hot fire going to set the bark.

Oddly enough, just the other night the wife found a piece we had last Christmas (yes, almost a year ago!) It was vacuum packed and frozen, and had all it's smoky goodness still there!

Back