Prime rib roast prOn

smokinbadger

Full Fledged Farker
Well, I was off work today, so I took the opportunity to indirect grill a prime rib roast. The weather was nearly perfect, about 35F with a steady rain, meaning I faced no danger of sunburn at any point in the 3 hour process.

In this picture you can see the setup. I built a fire in one side of the horizontal section of the MasterChef and opened the chimney on the other side, above the meat. The temperature was a pretty steady 350F during the roast. I rubbed the roast with a mixture of sweet paprika, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano just before putting it on.

Here's how it looked after resting for 10 minutes:

Meanwhile, my wife, dry and warm inside the house, made up this nice batch of roasted green and red peppers, sweet potatoes and sweet onions:

I whipped up a batch of horseradish sauce, and here's the finished product:

Many people like their prime rib a little more rare than this, but we like it a little more done. It was still super tender and delicious.

Man that is looking good. How did you make your horseradish sauce??

Smokinbadger

The only fault I can find with this cook, is that it is in southern michigan, and I am northern michigan:mad: .

Good looking prime. Nice photography also

Harry

Looks awesome, what was internal temp when you pulled it or did you just go 3 hours at 350 and not worry about internal temp?

Looks awesome, what was internal temp when you pulled it or did you just go 3 hours at 350 and not worry about internal temp?

I went by internal temp. I pulled it when I measured 145F at the center of the roast. I would probably pull it next time at around 140F to get a little more rare for the center slices, as my son likes his prime rib more to the medium rare side.

I never just use time at temperature, due to the variability in the meat, the cooker and the weather.

I went by internal temp. I pulled it when I measured 145F at the center of the roast. I would probably pull it next time at around 140F to get a little more rare for the center slices, as my son likes his prime rib more to the medium rare side.

I never just use time at temperature, due to the variability in the meat, the cooker and the weather.

Words of wisdom indeed.

Prime looks good. Real Good. Making me hungry this morning.
I am a "rare" guy myself, but to each his own. 140 internal is about where I typically take beef when I am cooking for a mixed group.

Thanks. I just threw the sauce together, but here's the approximate recipe:

1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
salt and pepper

Thats how I make mine, well I sometimes slip a little more horseradish in, a shake of hot pepper sauce and maybe a squeeze of lemon....it depends on which way the winds blowing!!!

....and if I'm ever out of Sour Cream I can use Mayo instead!!!

Back