Who “needs” a stickburner? (don’t tell my wife)

Aggie12

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Wife asked what we should have for dinner this past week. Saw that Kroger had pork butts on sale, so I suggested pulled pork tacos as an excuse to try out the slow’n sear that I got for Christmas (Never mind that I still have some frozen pulled pork from my last cook, Shh!). Didn’t get a chance to go to the store until roughly 8 pm on New Year’s Eve. Well by the time on got there, they were sold out of pork butts. Considered just getting a chuck roast, but they weren’t on sale and I hate paying full price for chuck. Needed something I could turn into tacos and didn’t want to just get ground beef, as I wanted an excuse to smoke something... Off to find Briskets, hoping for a small one in the 10-12 lb range that would fit easily in the Kettle. Of course, the only one they had left was a 17+ lb choice. After standing there for what seemed like 5 minutes trying to size it up, I decided I could “make” it fit and put it in the cart.

The next day I trimmed it up, seasoned it up, and injected the flat with half a can of beef broth.

Long story short, I was pleasantly surprised that it fit without having to separate the point and flat or cut it weirdly. I did, however, have to prop up the middle with a few wood chunks to shorten the overall length and just barely got it to fit. Note: the flames in the below pick is just from the wood chunks catching fire due to the lid being open while I finagled the brisket.

50803613188_f39e11882b_z.jpg

Cooked it overnight low and slow and was able to remove the wood chunks in the morning after it had shrunk some.

50798384282_d0d288ce0c_z.jpg

Funny side story when I went to wrap it: Pulled a long sheet of foil, wrapped up the brisket, got it mostly sealed, and then dumped in the remaining half can of beef broth, only to have it leak out all over the patio at my feet due to a huge tear I somehow put in the bottom of the foil and didn’t see. SMH!

Ended up looking so good that I couldn’t bring myself to eat it as tacos that first night, so we just had sliced brisket with pico de gallo and tortilla chips on the side.

50798241286_183c598751_z.jpg

50804414267_110f4c5cd7_z.jpg

Reheated the leftovers in the oven the next day and then had tacos.

50798362627_299f06e014_z.jpg

50798363427_fdc2a0bcf7_z.jpg

Long story short, you don’t need a fancy huge offset to cook a delicious full packer brisket, even a larger one. Of course, the stick burner is definitely more fun and you can’t beat the better flavor you get of a real wood fire. ...just don’t ever tell my wife...

I cooked a brisket on my WSM over the holidays. It was great. Not quite as good as good as if I cooked it on my stickburner, but most of the way there. My family wouldn't have know the difference between which smoker I used if they hadn't seen me cooking on it. Someone well versed in BBQ could tell, but it was very close.

Quality of the meat and knowledge of the pitmaster matters way more than what you cook on.

Well now certainly looks like you made everything rather nicely :-D

How is injecting the flat with beef broth? This idea has come to me before, but I have never tried it. Very good looking Brisket...makes me want one kind of bad.

I smoked a prime rib roast at my dad’s place on my M16 on Thanksgiving (pic below) and it worked out just fine, but I’m not giving up my stick burner any time soon.

Attachments

• 4C994D30-E0AF-4B7E-9CD2-9939B6867F05.jpg
    4C994D30-E0AF-4B7E-9CD2-9939B6867F05.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 240
That looks great and I don't care what you cooked it on. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I cooked a brisket on my WSM over the holidays. It was great. Not quite as good as good as if I cooked it on my stickburner, but most of the way there. My family wouldn't have know the difference between which smoker I used if they hadn't seen me cooking on it. Someone well versed in BBQ could tell, but it was very close.

Quality of the meat and knowledge of the pitmaster matters way more than what you cook on.

I would agree with this. It didn’t have that sweet, clean smoke flavor that you can only seem to get with a stickburner. However, it still turned out delicious and is perfect for those days when you want to bbq, but don’t want to or can’t devote all day to tending a fire.

How is injecting the flat with beef broth? This idea has come to me before, but I have never tried it. Very good looking Brisket...makes me want one kind of bad.

Not going to claim it makes a huge difference, but I think it yields a slightly more moist brisket, especially when not using prime. I wouldn’t say it’s an earth shattering difference though.

That was a fine lookin’ kettle brisket right there !
Fate is funny,,,,,,the brisket landed in the right basket

Back