Lonestar 30” vertical questions

LINY

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello all from Long Island, New York where quality stick burners are impossible to find which is why I am looking in to a Lonestar. A few questions for you all. I am new to offset smokers, so these questions may seem very basic but I would appreciate the help. I am going to purchase a LSG 30” vertical with the warming box.

1. I decided on the 30” vertical due to the increase as cooking area versus a horizontal offset. Will I get the same results from the vertical versus the offset? Are there any major differences?

2. Is the warming oven worth the extra $. Can I use it to rest and hold meats until they are ready to serve, or is used for strictly cooking?

Thank you for the help!

I think you find that placement of the tuning plates is a little different in a vertical vs a horizontal. Just ask Chris at Lonestar about this or send me a private message.

Believe me, you will be able to cook for an army with that 30" vertical.

I have a 24x36 with the oven.

1. Yes, same as a horizontal offset. Having eaten bbq off of both.

2. Oven is worth it if you use it. It makes the smoker even more so versatile. You will be able to hold food warm in it also. You can adjust the temps in the oven by playing with the plate that separates the firebox from the oven. The oven has pinwheel exhausts for more control as well.

Let me dig up some pics.

I pull the plate back as needed if I'm doing cooking in the oven

20141028_180149.jpg

Mine above is the old design and below is the new design

aKaBbhK.jpg

I hang wings and kabobs also with the plate removed

20150419_173740.jpg

9Yblxp2h.jpg

With this cook I was make croutons

20141109_134409.jpg

Basically the options are endless since the racks both in the fire box and warming oven are adjustable

20150320_185114.jpg

20150131_182027.jpg

20150320_201511.jpg

20141027_202905.jpg

Lonestar makes a really great product!

Curious what leads you to them specifically versus something closer to home? If space constraints (patio/garage) aren't an issue, I'd also consider something like Workhorse Pits in North Georgia (North of Atlanta). Also, do you really need that much capacity? A 24x36 Shirley cabinet from St. Louis is going to be a lot cheaper to purchase and ship too. Then there is MeadowCreek to consider but, if I lived in NY, I'd probably be looking at Workhorse/Primitive pits or Shirley Fabrication.

At some point, a small trailer becomes more practical for many people. 30" cabinets to me are not 'patio' smokers unless your patio is at a major hotel or restaurant since you are talking about over 100lbs of meat at a time if you load it up. So, how many of us have a 'patio' big enough to feed over 200 people!

If this is a business or commercial purchase, I'd definitely go with a trailer!

Thank you for bring up those points, I looked into Shirley, and they have a 32 month lead time!! As great as those are, I’m not that patient!!

Back