MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Favorte Commercial Rubs for What?

Hi there, everyone!

It has been a LONG time since I posted here.

But now I'm back and healthier than ever.
(Dang near died in 2016.)

I have tried A LOT of commercial rubs over the years. It seems there are so many fantastic commercial rubs that I don't need to make my own rub.

There are people who love to concoct their own rubs (like my BBQ team mate) but I'm not really into that. (Probably because I see it more as a high level of effort with a low level of reward.)

So here are my two favorite commercial rubs that I have excellent results with.

Big Poppa Smokers Cash Cow Beef Rub
This rub is delicious. It has a lot of onion and garlic. It almost reminds me of Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix, but bolder.
Here's the deal - I LOVE it best on CHICKEN. LOL! It works great!

Plowboy's BBQ Yardbird Rub
Absolutely the perfect classic, traditional BBQ rub.
It's perfectly balanced between all the various aspects of flavor. Salty, sweet and savory. It tastes great on anything. I use it on scrambled eggs, steamed vegetables, toast, really ANYTHING.
Here's the deal - I LOVE it best on BRISKET (especially brisket) and Pork. No, really. No matter what I put it on, viola! Classic BBQ flavor!

What are your two favorite commercial rubs (if you use them) and what do they taste the best on?
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

First favorite is Oakridge Secret Weapon. It is great on pork and chicken and scotch eggs and fatties. All natural and yummy.

My second is The Salt Lick Rub, because it is simple. Salt and some peppers. I can use it on anything and add some garlic or onion to amp the flavor. It adds good pop when I use it as a second rub for things.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was one of the beta testers when Todd was working out the details of Plowboy's Yardbird. It's still very high on my list. I have not tried any of the Big Poppa rubs, yet.

I like many of the Dizzy Pig rubs, and they go from basic like Dizzy Dust to unique, for example Tsunami Spin. Chris was one of the original members on the old BGE forum and his heart is into his products and the selection is huge.

The other two commercial rubs I buy are Birds and Bones, and Smokin' Guns hot.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
kfdvm
Full Fledged Farker

Jim Baldridge’s Secret Seasoning is very very good on steaks.
kfdvm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

All of the Oakridge rubs I've had are excellent, for sure.
For simple, more 'salt and pepper' style rubs, I really like Chicken ****. I'll try The Salt Lick - I've never tried that one.

That's pretty cool about being a beta tester, thirdeye. Thank you for your input on the development.
Dizzy Pig rubs - another excellent brand. They have great 'presence' in their flavors.
I used to use a lot of Smokin' Guns back when I worked in North Kansas City. I could get there for lunch, grab some rub and back to work in less than an hour.

Thanks for the tip on the Secret Seasoning, kfdvm. I'll definitely check it out.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
Huskres
Full Fledged Farker

Hasty bake rub is awesome and not too salty. I love the yardbird but it’s insanely salty. For beef I use a lot of oak ridge black ops.
Huskres is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
ulc
is one Smokin' Farker

Montreal Steak Seasoning: Steaks, pork chops, and sometimes on brisket and chuck roast.

Weber Kickin' Chicken Seasoning: Chicken wings, thighs, and legs.

About the only two commercial rubs I buy. Easy to find and good prices.
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
Big N Hot
Full Fledged Farker

Kosmos cow cover is my current love. The depth of flavor there is something I was always searching for. My go to all purpose would be the AP from killer hogs.
Big N Hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Harry Soo's Slap Yo' Daddy Jailbird Chicken rub. Love love it. He won national chicken in 2012.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #10
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

If I had to do only 2 they would be Naturiffic Q Salt for beef and Simply Marvellous Spicey Apple for pork and chicken. I'm a big fan of layering various rubs but if only allowed 2 these are them.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8[/URL]
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #11
SeenRed
Full Fledged Farker

Man there are many out there that I really like, but my favorites (at least right now) are:

1. Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple Rub (for ribs and butts)
2. Oakridge Black Ops (briskets, chuck roasts)
3. Kosmo’s Q Hot Cow Cover (for burgers, steaks, tri-tip, etc.)

Red
SeenRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #12
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

simply marvelous for pork....cavenders greek for chicken/fish. The oakridedge carne is great for beef along with a local shapleys rub for beef/veggies.....

Old 08-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
abracc
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
All of the Oakridge rubs I've had are excellent, for sure.
For simple, more 'salt and pepper' style rubs, I really like Chicken ****. I'll try The Salt Lick - I've never tried that one.

That's pretty cool about being a beta tester, thirdeye. Thank you for your input on the development.
Dizzy Pig rubs - another excellent brand. They have great 'presence' in their flavors.
I used to use a lot of Smokin' Guns back when I worked in North Kansas City. I could get there for lunch, grab some rub and back to work in less than an hour.

Thanks for the tip on the Secret Seasoning, kfdvm. I'll definitely check it out.

Hey QJhwk...I'm in Lawrence as well. Where do you find these rubs at? Not that I've looked everywhere here..thanks!
abracc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #14
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

There are some great one out there but my favs are:
Oakridge Secret Weapon and Killer Hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #15
SlickRockStones
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Gary

I’m really liking Adkins Western, BPS Cash Cow and Desert Gold. SM Spicy Apple and Cherry. For Adkins try texasfoodsdirect.com.
SlickRockStones is offline   Reply With Quote