MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
LabradorQue
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Matt
Question Newbie Post, Technical Info on Pitmaker Sniper Vortex smokestack system?

Hello all!

First post, so if I missed this information elsewhere, my apologies. I have been trying to find owners of Pitmaker Snipers, and would like to know if the Sniper is a reverse flow, direct flow with tuning plates, or just an open hole from the offset firebox, with a 90d steel plate coming from the firebox into the cook chamber to tame the flames. Also, I have tried to do as much research as possible on the sniper model (Long Rifle looks ideal!), and it seems like they typically run HOT. While the insulated firebox option looks amazing, I have seen videos online of them running 300 to 325°. Do these pits run hot? Anyone running any of these options associated with the snipers that could provide any detailed information, would be greatly appreciated. The endgame goal is to get a custom trailer fabricated by Pitmaker, so I can volunteer for Operation BBQ relief when I retire. Thanks in advance, and thank you for operating such an amazing online resource for all things barbecue.

Regards,

Matt
LabradorQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Try sending a pm to htrisna (haniel). He's a great guy but doesn't get on here very often. If I remember correctly he has one or had one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
The Wookiee
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : %#$*

i don't own one but pinged a few brethren that do and spoke to the folks at Pitmaker a lot back before i ended up the used LSG VO from fellow brethren... came damned close to getting one.

standard offset. does not come with tuning plates but they do have them and can be added. if i remember they use the varying sized holes (like Horizon smokers) on one sheet of metal. the vortex refers to the smoke exit -- essentially they build into the interior wall a flat wide chimney that near the main grate level is almost as wide the the grate is deep and then narrows on way up and out. so rather than just the hole at grate level exit, it's like the tip of a wide mouth vacuum sucking it up the far wall out to the chimney stack. i'll go hunt to see if i can find a pic...

as for temp - like any of the stick burners depends on fuel load; PM guys like to cook hot. you don't have too.... the body/chamber is 3/16 steel.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #4
The Wookiee
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : %#$*

shot of the PM vortex system - see interior far wall...

i have some dimension/spec sheets from them as well - feel free to PM me if you want them
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PM vortex.pdf (1.32 MB, 38 views)

Old 01-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
LabradorQue
Found some matches.

Default Sniper info

Thank you for your reply.

Regards,

Matt

Old 01-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
LabradorQue
Found some matches.

I tried PM'ing Daniel: It says his private messages are all full, and he cannot except any other messages. If anybody has any interior pics of the Sniper cook chamber and firebox deflector, or a tuning plate system, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!