MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:30 AM   #1
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Default Rudy's BBQ is disgusting

Rudy's dry, tasteless boiled BBQ brisket sandwich, with weird rubbery fat, on an half ass toasted, overly buttered bun. I don't know why people go here other than desperate and out of options for BBQ.

The only thing they have that's good, is the souvenir cups.

Now compare it to the bottom pic from Truth BBQ, which was rated as Texas #10 best BBQ. It's night and day. Its laughable that people eat at Rudy's and think "Mmmm this is so good!", give it 5 stars on Yelp and recommend it to others. Really??? This is 5 Star BBQ???

When I see people complaining "$8 for a brisket sandwich??" or complaining $20/pound for brisket is too much, it's because they are used to eating these $5 boiled brisket sandwiches.

Stop. Every time you eat at Rudy's a baby seal dies.

Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 01-14-2018, 01:54 AM   #2
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Boo Rudy. Boo
Old 01-14-2018, 02:08 AM   #3
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Wow, never seen a boiled smoke ring!

Dang, boiled bark even!

I'd say butterless bun from what I see.

Were you desperate for some BBQ? :)

Maybe that's their smoked baby seal sammich with extra fat.....

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 01-14-2018 at 02:14 AM..
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:30 AM   #4
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post

Bob

Yes. I should have went to McDonald's instead. Better food.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
Jason TQ

Did you go there expecting a good $5 brisket sandwich?
Old 01-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #6
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Daddy says "If you want it bad...sometimes that's the way you get it."

I don't know how many of the reviews were genuine. Some people's bar is way higher than others- no matter what's being rated. I'm very critical of my own cooking- I'm much harsher if I'm paying for it.

Sorry it did not turn out to your liking. If the doors have been open for some time, they are doing something right- or have really deep pockets.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #7
16Adams

When my son was in college we used to drive down occasionally holidays. There were quite a few of his friends that also didn’t travel home. Rudy’s was nearby and we’d buy 150-200$ worth in big family boxes. Nothing was ever left over. I used to buy Rudy’s Sauce and occasionally their Turkey Rub. It was pretty good for restaurant Q.

Haven’t been in years. I remember Rudy’s smoked sausage and peach cobbler was pretty dam awesome though. As was the smoked turkey breast. I seldom eat ribs-brisket-Pork away from home.

Maybe it was the atmosphere of 20 College “kids” with cheap patio cookers making appetizers or whiskey from a solo cup.

I’ve got fond memories of Rudy’s.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post

Dang, boiled bark even!

I'd say butterless bun from what I see.

Maybe that's their smoked baby seal sammich with extra fat.....

Bob

Lololol. What the hell is a bbq-brethren doing at a chain bbq restaurant.

also noticed the smoke ring.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #9
thirdeye

That's sad to hear. Years ago (before Rudy's was a franchise) I visited the store on the Sea World exit when I was back in Texas on business, but never had gone to the original location. The brisket point and turkey were two of my favorite meats, the sausage was good and possibly the cream corn was my favorite side. The Q was quite good for a gas station take-out kind of thing, not as good as any place in Lockhart, but I had gone there since before the Kreuz family break-up. I actually met Doc Holiday in I believe 2006 while I was back in San Antonio for a re-certification class and to vacation around my old stompin' grounds..., this was at the Sea World store as well. For many years I would mail order Rudy's Rub and the original recipe of Sause (that's their spelling) once a year. After Doc passed, I set out to get a copy cat recipe of the cream corn, and after visiting with several sources did come up with a recipe which is on my cookin' site. I've only been to one of the franchise stores, it was north of SA on one of the loops. Not as good as I recalled but it was doing a brisk business at around 4 in the afternoon, and a lot of take-out orders were heading out the door.

One can only hope you hit them on a bad day, but maybe the franchise is slipping. Good thing is, there is no shortage of good barbecue in Texas.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #10
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Rudy's dry, tasteless boiled BBQ brisket sandwich, with weird rubbery fat, on an half ass toasted, overly buttered bun. I don't know why people go here other than desperate and out of options for BBQ.

The only thing they have that's good, is the souvenir cups.

Now compare it to the bottom pic from Truth BBQ, which was rated as Texas #10 best BBQ. It's night and day. Its laughable that people eat at Rudy's and think "Mmmm this is so good!", give it 5 stars on Yelp and recommend it to others. Really??? This is 5 Star BBQ???

When I see people complaining "$8 for a brisket sandwich??" or complaining $20/pound for brisket is too much, it's because they are used to eating these $5 boiled brisket sandwiches.

Stop. Every time you eat at Rudy's a baby seal dies.

Quit sugar coating your opinions and tell us how you really feel.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #11
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Got a Rudy's a couple of miles from my house and it's consistently good BBQ. Have been to three in DFW area, one in Waco and one in San Antonio and all did some good que.

Sounds like the one you went to isn't up to par.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I've been to several, including a couple in Houston, Dallas, and College Station. I have had excellent brisket at times, and so-so brisket at times. There can be inconsistencies at each location and between locations.

Private note to BobBrisket: I was taught that when making a boiled brisket sandwich, you do not butter the bun, as the butter sets up a protective layer, preventing the bun from taking up water during the boiling process. It defeats the purpose.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #13
SmittyJonz

My Old job have them cater on training days a few times —was always Pretty Decent. The Arlington Tx Highland location.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #14
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I've been to several, including a couple in Houston, Dallas, and College Station. I have had excellent brisket at times, and so-so brisket at times. There can be inconsistencies at each location and between locations.

Private note to BobBrisket: I was taught that when making a boiled brisket sandwich, you do not butter the bun, as the butter sets up a protective layer, preventing the bun from taking up water during the boiling process. It defeats the purpose.
Do you build the sandwich then boil, or do you boil the bread and meat separate and then build?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #15
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Do you build the sandwich then boil, or do you boil the bread and meat separate and then build?
Ahhh, this is a good question and I believe you will find a great division of opinions on this issue. I personally like the holistic approach of boiling the entire sandwich so that the flavors can mingle. I do know that others boil the parts separately, claiming that if the entire sandwich is boiled, then it is difficult for the boiling to penetrate entirely. This can be a problem especially if the bread is more than a day old. And of course, I always inject before boiling, but you know that because the sandwich has already been constructed. If you construct the sandwich afterward, there is no telling when the injection may occur.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote