MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default The FDA said it does not have a definition for "natural."

The FDA said it does not have a definition for "natural."

Log Cabin contains only 4% Maple Syrup and is labeled as "All Natural". A Log Cabin representative is defending the labeling as proper. The new product, which is being sold in jug containers similar to those used by Vermont maple producers, contains Brown Rice Syrup, Water, Sugar, Brown Sugar, Natural Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid. No artificial flavors or colors.

"In general, labels must be truthful and not misleading, but would be reviewed on a case-by-case basis," said FDA spokeswoman.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vt-log-...the-real-deal/
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
thirdeye

So a free range chicken from Chernobyl could be all natural?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #3
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
So a free range chicken from Chernobyl could be all natural?
It makes a "glowing" chicken dish.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #4
smoke ninja

I was 30 before i realized i never had real syrup before.

Oh and the FDA are a bunch of twits anyhow

Old 01-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
LYU370

Asbestos is all natural.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #6
medic92
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I had never had real maple syrup until a few years ago. I'm too indoctrinated into the other stuff, I didn't like it. Sad really.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I was 30 before i realized i never had real syrup before.

Oh and the FDA are a bunch of twits anyhow
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic92 View Post
I had never had real maple syrup until a few years ago. I'm too indoctrinated into the other stuff, I didn't like it. Sad really.
The price difference is the real wake-up call.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #8
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I saw a taste test on one of the cooking shows.88% of the tasters picked pancake/waffle syrup as being authentic maple syrup over REAL maple syrup. thirdeye,you are spot on about the price point.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
Joshw
Babbling Farker

If I buy maple syrup, I buy the lower grades, it actually has a stronger taste, than the expensive stuff. I would take good sorghum over any of it, and it is all natural.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 03:21 AM   #10
One Drop
On the road to being a farker

Not allowed to use natural to describe things in the EU, it is meaningless. Can't use Superfoods and other nonsense like that, either.

The FDA is a joke, unfortunately, they mainly serve only the interests of the industry, often at the expense of the consumer.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #11
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Drop View Post
Not allowed to use natural to describe things in the EU, it is meaningless. Can't use Superfoods and other nonsense like that, either.

The FDA is a joke, unfortunately, they mainly serve only the interests of the industry, often at the expense of the consumer.
I spent sometime in Germany and Austria this summer and I was amazed at the food purity laws concerning the food in Europe. No artificial flavor, no artificial colors, and no GMO's. Even MacDonald's puts red beef patties on the griddle, not the grey or brown frozen pucks we have here.

I really liked the small bakeries and butcher shops everywhere we went. Yes they had big box stores like we have here, but the bakery and meat departments had very little to offer because everyone wanted fresh local items (which is a good thing).

The Gummi Bears are made with fruit juice for color and flavor, they were so good, they were almost addictive.

Buy a loaf of wonder white bread here and almost a month later it's still soft. Ever wonder why....

It's really sad to think about what the American Consumer has settled for? All because something is a penny or two cheaper, corporations saving a penny on billions of products save millions at our loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
If I buy maple syrup, I buy the lower grades, it actually has a stronger taste, than the expensive stuff. I would take good sorghum over any of it, and it is all natural.
Yes, real Maple Syrup is expensive; the first spring run the sap is at about 2.0% sugar content. It takes roughly 39/40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup (light color/light crisp flavor). As the season progresses and the sap is lower in sugar content, it could take 57 - 61 gallons of sap for us to make 1 gallon of syrup (darker color/stronger flavor). The amount of heat/evaporation time will directly reflect the color of the syrup. Thus the longer the boil, the darker the color, and the stronger the taste.

Currently, many producers have employed the use of osmosis filters to help separate some of the water content, thus reducing evaporation times.

Quote:
If you always had a certain product, you become familiar with it, and you desire that product. Change in out habits and tastes are difficult for us to make or accept. That's why we always remember how mom's food was the best.

In January 23rd 2015, the USDA issued new rules for grading of maple syrup.

There is no more Grade A / Grade B differentiation, everything is grade A with the exception of the processor's grade. There is no more Light Amber, Medium Amber, or Dark Amber; they have taken the purer 5 grades of syrup and have now allowed processors to mix two of the old grades to create the newer grade of syrup. This similarly applies to Canada's 1/2/3 grading system.

Economically it's a good move for some processors because they can mix a lesser quality grade into the and achieve a product that brings a higher price. Taste-wise it is not the same, I no longer buy 100 pure maple syrup from the suppliers. Instead I buy directly from the producer who is quality oriented and will sell me the Grade A Light Amber, even though it has labeled as Golden Color.

Just like Medic92 stated, he had a product he became familiar with; many who have only used light amber syrup can easily tell the difference and will seek out the product they want, even if it has to be labeled different by new laws. Many small producers are happy to sell you the product you desire.

New Grading Reference:
https://www.maplesource.com/pure-map...des-explained/
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #12
smoke ninja

Quote:
Kinda like how people like sweet baby rays over actual good bbq sauce?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #13
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Honey falls into this same kind of scheme where even if it says "100% pure honey" it's not honey. Most honey you find in the grocery stores is high fructose corn syrup flavored to taste like honey.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:34 AM   #14
Smokeymagoo
On the road to being a farker

Well, i guess log cabin isnt actually lying. All of the added ingredients are also "All Natural"
Smokeymagoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
JEStucker
Full Fledged Farker

Location: That one particular harbor, So far, but yet so near
Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
Honey falls into this same kind of scheme where even if it says "100% pure honey" it's not honey. Most honey you find in the grocery stores is high fructose corn syrup flavored to taste like honey.
Yep, that famous Chicken Place from Kentucky can't even legally call their Honey, Honey, because it isn't.

Thankfully this is that blessing of having family in New England, I can get real honey a bit cheaper (call the relatives, they buy it, I send them money, they ship it, still cheaper than buying it at Missouri store prices)
JEStucker is offline   Reply With Quote