MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #31
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

When I first started, I used "the rack" to make them whole. After I brought them a few years ago to a family event halved, people were crazy about them that way. I like them whole myself, but they are good either way.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #32
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I prefer the"Boat" method.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #33
bayou
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

i also like the half method. and after prepping I put them on a sheet pan and put them in the freezer for at least an hr. once smoker is hot I put them in, it gives the bacon a head start before the filling gets too soft.
bayou is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #34
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou View Post
i also like the half method. and after prepping I put them on a sheet pan and put them in the freezer for at least an hr. once smoker is hot I put them in, it gives the bacon a head start before the filling gets too soft.
Great tip!

I'm going to do ABTs this way the next time I cook them. I've never been really happy about the way the bacon finished.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #35
mstewart39
Full Fledged Farker

Halves because you can get everything out easier.
I use a mixture of cream cheese and cheddar like many do. However, I also put some loose sausage in there instead of a little smokie. Then I wrap in thin cut bacon and on they go.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:57 AM   #36
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Whole. cored out, stuff a small chunk of fatty, or shrimp, or sausage in the bottom.

Cream chesse mixture is cream cheese, shredded Mexican cheese mix, garlic POWDER and YES!! GRAPE JELLY.

inject using a pastry bag, and cover the top with a sausage slice, or a shrimp, or a mushroom cap.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #37
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Grape jelly^! Sounds interesting. Gonna have to try that.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #38
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
Grape jelly^! Sounds interesting. Gonna have to try that.
adds a little sweetness to offsets saltiness from bacon(or heat from the japs).

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #39
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

I used to do whole ones cut in half lengthwise, de-seeded, filled, put back together and bacon wrapped with a couple of toothpicks to hold at all together. The only real issue was keeping the halves sorted so they formed a nice tight seal. With that said, I now prefer halves only - no need to match up plus the ratio of bacon to everything else is more in line with what I like.

Tried a pepper rack (cut off tops and filled) one time - never again. It's now decorative yard art on the fence.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #40
BillATL
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
YES!! GRAPE JELLY.
Sometimes I glaze mine with a bbq sauce with raspberry jam in it. I think I may try with the raspberry in the cream cheese next time...
BillATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #41
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognot View Post
I like halves because faster assembly and increased bacon to pepper ratio.
That's my preference. I select peppers sized so that a slice of thin bacon can wrap the length of the pepper and back again. I tuck instead of using toothpicks.
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #42
FrkYrPrk
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

I started with whole peppers, switched to halves - easier to prep & cook IMO and twice the bacon per pepper to boot.
Stuffing is either smoked chicken thigh, or sweet Italian sausage, with sharp cheddar

Old 01-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #43
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Halves. Precook bacon. I cheat and do about a 1:45 microwave between paper towels. One slice per..tookpicks. I prefer to leave little rib in the jap to give it some heat but the kids like them mild. Cook till bacon is crisp.

Filling mostly just cream cheese sometimes with shredded and/or rub.

I know a guy that uses pepper jelly in his ABTs
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #44
KC Smoke
On the road to being a farker

I want to do my first attempt at ABTs for the Superbowl. I can invision all of the filling running out using the halved method. Is this a real concern? How do you avoid it if so? Also, what is the suggested cooking temp? Actually, as I continue to read, 250 for about 2 hours seems to be the consensus.

Last edited by KC Smoke; 02-03-2018 at 09:42 AM..
KC Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #45
Monte Cristo
is one Smokin' Farker

Three pages and no pics. That has to be a first. I’ve never cooked them so I have no pics to offer either!