MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 10-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #76
Brimhack
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Love it! It's like a Fatty Wellington!
Ha! I didn't even notice the resemblance until you pointed it out. "Fatty Wellington" sounds much more regal than "French Hot Dog but with a Fatty instead of a Sausage".

Old 10-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #77
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Wow, there is some great bread here. I am personally done with bread and starters.
Don't give up now! Your bread turned out excellent, specially the pizza dough we fried.

Besides, you should just be getting used to getting sploogie on you.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #78
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are Apple Cinnamon Muffins Bread? If it passes the test then here is my entry.

Entry shot below...

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #79
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

No! Mufffins are not bread! Just kiddin. Those look good!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #80
bigabyte

If you can make a sandwich out of them, then you're good.

Yup, here's a sandwich with muffins...
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:15 PM   #81
landarc

Muffins belong to a class of baked goods known as quick breads. Unlike yeast breads, the more commonly recognized bread type, quick breads utilize chemical leavening to create a unform, tender, dense crumb. Although often regarded as seperate from yeast breads, this class of bread predates the use of yeast as a leavening and has been traced to ancient baking practices of the middle east and norther African cultures.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #82
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Jim, that's just so damn good and so damn original. You are farkin' OUT THERE Brother...

WOW..

Bill
I agree with you Bill. That is way out there and looks great.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #83
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
If you can make a sandwich out of them, then you're good.

Yup, here's a sandwich with muffins...
A radish sandwich made with zucchini muffins? I don't think that even qualifies as food.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #84
chobint
On the road to being a farker

Well this is my first throwdown entry... hopefully these pics aren't too big. I made em 1024 wide, so just holler back if they are too big. This is one of my classic tricks for pizza, the upside down pizza. You get a nice thick fluffy crust and don't have to worry about piling on the toppings and messing up the crust. I should mention that this is best done with a white-bread-like dough because richer breads like wheat will overpower the toppings and mess up the fluffy texture.

Also, apologies for the cavelike lighting in my apt. and the low aperture. I kept experimenting with flash and without haha. Hope you enjoy!

First and foremost... get your bread made early and let her rise for a couple o hours

Sear los tomates in the cast iron skillet

Add some onions, bit o peppa, acid, salt, pinch of sugar etc...

Add the toppings, yaya i know.. ran out of pepperoni

Add LOTS OF CHEESE

Cook the sauce down or hack it to bits in the food processor if you're in a hurry

Plop the risen dough on top, and allow to re-rise after shaping for 30min

Bake (well smoke really)

Flip and EAT!

The cheese probably looks a bit overburnt, but it tasted awesome. Gotta love burnt cheese!

Anyway, gotta say my vote will probably go to mr. pulled pork stickybuns. Little too much sauce on there for my taste, but a fantastic idea and great pics! Good luck to all.

Edit: I guess I should mention... You can use either of the last two pics for the entry. Thanks.
chobint is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #85
Midnight Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Muffins belong to a class of baked goods known as quick breads. Unlike yeast breads, the more commonly recognized bread type, quick breads utilize chemical leavening to create a unform, tender, dense crumb. Although often regarded as seperate from yeast breads, this class of bread predates the use of yeast as a leavening and has been traced to ancient baking practices of the middle east and norther African cultures.
Since bread was mentioned 6 times I guess they count as Bread.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #86
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Please see the link below to the "Cooking with the Master" episode that was previously submitted.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=94687

The rest of this might be a spoiler if you don't visit that first. I'm not the biggest of bread fans, although my wife constantly makes bread after bread that is not just something to hold the meat with, but is also delicious all on its own. Of course I have no skill in such matters, so I took this throwdown, not as making bread, but using it as the main ingredient in something. Yes, the loaf I used is homemade, but not by me certainly.

So, what did I do? Well, I enjoy brewing beer, cider and sometimes mead. I'm also familiar with a few other brews and recently had some kvass in Ukraine and also talked extensively with a Russian colleague who makes the stuff regularly. Kvass is a drink made from bread, almost always dark rye. It can be made start to finish in less than a week, which made it ideal for a throwdown. It is only slightly alcoholic, so it does not require aging -- it is actually considered a soft drink and drunk by people of all ages. I did not have rye bread handy, and went with a loaf of white. The other thing that I did with mine (other than smoke the bread dry, which is just plain weird) is forced effervescence on two of the bottles. I could have done this safely, but I didn't have time and I did this by releasing the gas (that builds up when the yeast turns the sugar into alcohol) over the first 24 hours, then kept the bottles sealed until it was time to drink. I would not recommend this as it can create "bottle bombs" that can explode. So, here is my version of kvass made with smoked bread:

Not sure whether this one is better than the one of Ninja passed out.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #87
ecode
On the road to being a farker

This is a terrible category as I still can't decide what to submit. On Wednesday, we brought in lunches for the teachers and I made some focaccia. I mixed up some dough

adding sundried tomatoes and forming into logs.

These were rolled flat and covered with homemade pesto

and then baked in my Oval

I turned these into sandwiches

Today, I made some sweet-potato rolls with dried cranberries. These are one of our favorites for Thanksgiving. I make dough from cooked sweet potato.

I add dried cranberries and cardamom

I rolled these into crescent rolls

brushed with egg, and baked in my oval

They come out tender

They're good warm with a bit of butter

and a cup of coffee

I'm pretty sure that this is my entry...... but I have company coming this weekend and I have one more thing I might make. But company weekends being what they are I thought I better submit this just in case.
Thanks for looking!
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:32 AM   #88
bigabyte

Dang. So much for my brownies standing a chance now.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #89
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Dang is right. So much for my bread entry which I haven't even decided on what it is even going to be. You've done it again, ecode. Bravo!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #90
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Yep, I'm tanked here too!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damper dawgs, no loaf pinching, Pinch a Loaf, pinch her buns, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread