MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Johnson Smokers Ultimate Tailgater

Didn't someone post about a cooker similar to this or was it this one a while back? ....Smitty maybe

Anyways after going to their website from seeing the other Johnson Smoker post this smoker/grill really intrigues me. I like that it goes on a hitch, has a rolling base, gas assist, functions like a charcoal grill and is a RF all rolled into one. I like everything except that graffiti logo on the ends! but that can be replaced with ND.

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/ultimate-tailgater/

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
jbounds286
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

i think my wife would LOVE that smoker....as is!
Camp Chef Flat Top Griddle, Ooni Pro 16 Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven
jbounds286 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbounds286 View Post
i think my wife would LOVE that smoker....as is!
Who wouldn't???
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Thatgrimguy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

ok, now that is really farking cool.
Member of [COLOR="Red"]"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"[/COLOR]

KCBS CBJ #81419
Thatgrimguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
troy64
Full Fledged Farker

Great design and in hindsight I wish I would have bought that model instead. Transporting it so much easier.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #6
Thatgrimguy
is One Chatty Farker

this would be the ultimate for my Motorhome. I can flat tow a vehicle and have this in the vehicles trailer hitch. My wife is going to kill me..

KCBS CBJ #81419

Old 10-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
SmittyJonz

I've posted their 20"'T pit several times - it's on my "I Wish List"

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/20-t-pit/

Old 10-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #8
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

IDK, the smoker design looks great but it seems like a crap load of weight/torque for a 2" hitch?

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
IDK, the smoker design looks great but it seems like a crap load of weight/torque for a 2" hitch?
Dave IDK but did you read the info they posted on the hitch?

RECEIVER-HITCH SETUP WITH ROLLING STAND UPGRADE
The pit is perfectly balanced and made to install in a standard 2” receiver hitch. Take a look at the photos for the unit sitting on a truck. Its built strong yet Two men can lift the pit and put it on the reciever hitch, so there are no structural issues as the pit is well under the capacity of the receiver hitch mount which have a 500lb tongue weight capacity. It has been tested on different vehicles and does not damage your paint on your bumper or tail-gate. You can hold your hand 1″ away from the pit at all times while it is cooking and it will not burn you. Rolling stand Upgrade This listing is for the tailgate pit with the extra heavy duty stand with Steel caster wheels. The stand is custom made to allow for the pit to sit in somwhat like a craddle. You can pull it off your hitch, drop it in the stand and roll it around to your backyard or to the cooking area. We do build this same pit with a stationary stand, see my Other items for that design.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Dave IDK but did you read the info they posted on the hitch?

RECEIVER-HITCH SETUP WITH ROLLING STAND UPGRADE
The pit is perfectly balanced and made to install in a standard 2” receiver hitch. Take a look at the photos for the unit sitting on a truck. Its built strong yet Two men can lift the pit and put it on the reciever hitch, so there are no structural issues as the pit is well under the capacity of the receiver hitch mount which have a 500lb tongue weight capacity. It has been tested on different vehicles and does not damage your paint on your bumper or tail-gate. You can hold your hand 1″ away from the pit at all times while it is cooking and it will not burn you. Rolling stand Upgrade This listing is for the tailgate pit with the extra heavy duty stand with Steel caster wheels. The stand is custom made to allow for the pit to sit in somwhat like a craddle. You can pull it off your hitch, drop it in the stand and roll it around to your backyard or to the cooking area. We do build this same pit with a stationary stand, see my Other items for that design.
Nope, did not read that, thanks for pointing it out. I'm guessing if they say 2 men can lift it on & off it is probably less than 200#, just looks a lot more substantial than that.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #11
Calkidd
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't know about you but I hauled a 11000 lbs toy hauler on a 2" hitch. I am pretty sure that hitch could handle up to 500+ lbs.
Calkidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #12
Thatgrimguy
is One Chatty Farker

It's 3/16th steel and 180lbs (for the basic one, I'm sure this is a little heavier so call it 200-220lbs) according to the website. Even my wife agree it would be a good fit for long RV trips! I may end up with one of these next year.

KCBS CBJ #81419

Old 10-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #13
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Nope, did not read that, thanks for pointing it out. I'm guessing if they say 2 men can lift it on & off it is probably less than 200#, just looks a lot more substantial than that.
Yup purposely a little lighter and well balanced so two men can hoist it up on the hitch.

CONCLUSIONS
All in all this is a very efficient unit. The main chamber and firebox are constructed from right at 3/16 steel making it able to be maneuvered by 2 men. It will last a very long time and holds heat better than any I’ve seen. The new T-Reverse flow system, dual Chrome stacks at grate level, dual cooking racks, and added ability to be turned into a Charcoal Grill makes these pits one of a kind and a super flexible cooking unit. This unit is built with the same standards as the large competition style pits that I build that are for sell in other listings. No quality is lost.
There is not another pit like this out there!

Old 10-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #14
SmokeHouse Blues
Full Fledged Farker

That's one sweet little rig.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #15
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Has anyone had experience cooking on one? My concern is that amount of radiant heat close to the plastic rear bumper. Or is the idea to remove it from the hitch and use the stand once you get to your destination?
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote