Master Class with Aaron Franklin

To be honest, I'm not sure what could be in that class that isn't already in his books, his PBS show, and YouTube videos. He doesn't exactly use secret spice mixes or secret sauces.
I already use the Masterclasses subscription for other instructors. Yes Franklins material may seem a little repetitive if you have watched all of his YouTube content. His Masterclasse contains all of the material with some additional details and explaination in one place. Well worth cost if you haven't seen the YouTube content though I would not have purchased the Masterclass subscription solely for his material.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

If anybody's curious, Malcom Reed (Killer Hogs / How To BBQ Right) gives his thoughts on Franklin's Masterclass in his latest podcast:
https://youtu.be/Kz4TnH5VR4M?t=2009

Not only do they give their thoughts, they honestly talk in great depth about all the things that he doesn't really get into in the YouTube series. If you've watched the YT vids and listen to this podcast, there's little need to purchase the course. They go deep on the fire, how he sets it up, how he maintains temp, the smokers, etc.

If I were MasterClass, I'd be rather unhappy that they're discussing the nitty gritty of the "tips and tricks" and different things he discloses in the series instead of keeping it high level.

I ended up splitting a full ($180) membership with a buddy, partially for Franklin's course and partially for a few others, and I can say that it's a solid course. I've read his "Manifesto" book and it's similar enough to where I don't think you miss much if you just stick with the book, though. If you're also interested in, say Penn and Teller or Annie Liebovitz's photography, or Neil Gaiman stories then Masterclass is worth it.

Having taken the course, I better understand how brisket renders, how to approach a fire, and how important it is to actually have a cook day plan and take notes along the way. If you're new/intermediate it'll help you; if you're old hand you might pick up a few things but there's no secrets he's letting you in on.

The only real criticism I have of the course is that his way of building and maintaining fires is really geared toward his smokers: a round firebox with no fire grill/grate on it (the fire is directly on the bottom of the firebox), no baffles, and a few inches of barrier around the door. I'm cooking on a square box Klose and his fire management method just isn't right for my pit.

Just signed up for the annual pass, can't wait to get started!

Franklin Class

I’ve been watching this MasterClass Franklin has for the past few weeks. I’ve read his books, watched the PBS videos, but have honestly learned quite a bit more from these videos. It also comes with a PDF workbook of class content. You can print one off at Staples and have a quick reference guide to refer to during your cooks. I would recommend spending the dough to take it if you have the money, but I went for the all access pass to get the other content available as well for a year. The videos are high quality and so is the content.

Back