MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
Dmakkk
Take a breath!

Default Blackstone vs. Cast Iron Griddle

Is there really that much of a difference than using a griddle on your gasser outside of more surface area and maybe heat control. Just curious...

Old 10-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

I don't own a Blackstone. Yes, there are about five of us left! That being said. I do have a large flattop griddle, and given the choice (meaning I don't need the extra room) I like my cast better. There is just something you get from the CI that you that you just don't get from a sheet of steel. IMHO.

Maybe someone with a Magical Blackstone 65000 spaceship can give you a better anwser.

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
[url]https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack[/url]
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

What's a Blackrock ... Charcoal??? CI serves me well

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
16Adams

I've got 17Rem-7MM Mag. Honestly my 06 could cover everything from rabid skunk to moose.
A stretch but a flat top is a flat top.

I like toys. I like choices. I've been eying a couple vintage cast iron griddles. I enjoy cooking on/with my various cookers. It's all good, whichever you chose

Just post pics when you do. Please

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
Beerbecue
Full Fledged Farker

I have no need for anything as large as a Blackstone. I really like my Lodge platter griddle though.

Beerbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
Jeff H
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke on Badger Mountain View Post
I don't own a Blackstone. Yes, there are about five of us left!

There is probably more than you think that don't have a Blackstone, although, I might consider buying one in the future.

Right now, the normal configuration for my Genesis is to put this tray on the left.

And this on the right.

It just about fills up the whole grilling surface. I can cook up quite a variety of foods with this configuration. One of the family favorites is a simple grilled cheese and grilled potato fries. There is just enough space to place 8 slices of bread on the griddle.
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
landarc

I own a Blackstone now, and a cast iron griddle, and a Magnalite Pro alloy griddle and a lightweight aluminum non-stick griddle. All have their place and each has it's own advantages and disadvantages, yes, even the lightweight aluminum one.

I do not fully agree that cast iron is always the best option for griddle work, note that Benihana could easily use cast iron, but, they prefer steel. If you cannot justify owning one of each, than a cast iron griddle on a gasser is a great way to go. But, the Blackstone is incredibly well built, the heat controls on the 36" I have are vastly superior to any gasser in the same price range and the steel griddle is very heavy duty.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I have a Blackstone, cast iron and another little lightweight griddle I use on my charcoal cooker when camping.
All have their advantages.
I love the even heat and space on the Blackstone and the fact that it's already set up and ready to go, just light the fire and start cooking. It's convenient.

Can't beat cast iron. I use my cast iron skillets more than I do the cast iron griddle. Just a matter of space. When I griddle I seem to go small (skillet) or big (Blackstone). Not many in between sized meals for me I guess. Also, I don't use my gas grills often. Guess I need to leave my CI griddle set up on one, maybe I'd use both more often.

The other small griddle is perfect for my camp trips. It's light weight.

Out of the three, for griddle cooks, I like the Blackstone best.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Just got the blackstone so I've not had time to do much on it but what I have done makes me glad I got it.

My wife got up this morning and cooked pancakes for the kids on the $20.00 electric griddle. It was fast, quick cleanup and the kids loved it!

She's also very excited about the blackstone griddle because we have a large family that comes over allot so she sees how this will bless us in the future. We also do trips every year with lots of motorcycle family, one of the first things she asked, can we take that with us. I've already ordered the carrying case.

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote